Ask me anything about boxing technique

for futher questions I would ask that you copy and past the question here so we the people who answer the questions dont have to double click just to try to answer questions.

(a) My boxing coach always tell me to line up my lead foot with my opponent's lead foot when I am sparring. He explains that this will make it hard for my opponent to land anything substantial (since his rear/power hand is further away from me). This is true. However, what is also true, is that I can't land anything solid on him either! Any idea how to resolve this?

that doesn't make sense imo, you want to place your lead foot directly into the middle of your opponent... you always what to attack his center line. that will give you the most freedom in how you approach your opponent.

(b) I have been trying to refine my skills inside the pocket (aka inside fighting). I have seen videos of Kenny Weldon/Jeff Fenech etc and most of them make a lot of sense. However, I have had little success of trying them in real life. What I mean is, both trainers assume that my opponent's arms will be down when I spar...making it easy for me to put my shoulder on their chest and my head on their shoulder (and hence have better leverage). This is not the case though as, most often then not, my opponents have their hands up in the traditional peek-a-boo stance and I end up clashing with them head on. Are there any tricks to stop them from happening? I've already tried putting my foot between their feet when going in but that doesn't seem to be helping.

well you want to come in at an angle, its not so much about him as it is about what you are doing on the inside. simply put if he is standing with hands down or with his hands up, it sound have no baring on you and how you postion yourself. I am working on a more in depth in fighting article, I just need to find the energy to finish it. ( i've been working on a pretty big investment and that has been taking a bit of my time)

The pivot step?

When I see boxers shadowboxing and they pivot 90 degrees during their striking and keep hitting in the new direction, what's that about?

When someone rushes into your space with an overhand right.

When they slip a hit and close in to deliver your body shot, you can pivot away to make a little space.

Am I on the right track with this?

Thanks.

The pivot step?

When I see boxers shadowboxing and they pivot 90 degrees during their striking and keep hitting in the new direction, what's that about?

When someone rushes into your space with an overhand right.

When they slip a hit and close in to deliver your body shot, you can pivot away to make a little space.

Am I on the right track with this?

Thanks.

your pretty close. Those things are pretty spot on but the main thing we work on when we turn in such a way is to work on exiting on an angle.

I have trained boxing off and on for about 3yrs. I have moved around alot, so I haven't had one consistent coach. I recently went to a new gym where the coach said some things that sounded weird to me. One of them was, "It's not called a cross. It's a right straight." I understood what he is saying, but I have never heard it not called a cross. He insisted that calling it a cross was improper.

I just thought cross makes more sense, because you can always call it a cross whether a fighter is orthodox or southpaw.

What is your opinion of this?

He also said some other weird things like muscle has nothing to do with punching power. This is just scientifically false since your muscles make your body move period. He also claimed that smaller guys could punch harder than far bigger guys from their speed alone. It's possible. Mass x Acceleration = Force. It's just the smaller guy must have a hell of alot more acceleration than the bigger guy.

your pretty close. Those things are pretty spot on but the main thing we work on when we turn in such a way is to work on exiting on an angle.

I got ya. So step in, jab - straight right, pivot, step out?

I have trained boxing off and on for about 3yrs. I have moved around alot, so I haven't had one consistent coach. I recently went to a new gym where the coach said some things that sounded weird to me. One of them was, "It's not called a cross. It's a right straight." I understood what he is saying, but I have never heard it not called a cross. He insisted that calling it a cross was improper.

I just thought cross makes more sense, because you can always call it a cross whether a fighter is orthodox or southpaw.

He also said some other weird things like muscle has nothing to do with punching power. This is just scientifically false since your muscles make your body move period. He also claimed that smaller guys could punch harder than far bigger guys from their speed alone. It's possible. Mass x Acceleration = Force. It's just the smaller guy must have a hell of alot more acceleration than the bigger guy.
my 2c

Cross/straight are interchangeable terms imo.

He's probably just saying that about muscles to stress the importance of technique in delivering force. Smaller guys can hit harder than bigger guys, just because you're heavier doesn't mean you know how to leverage that weight. Obviously it's an advantage.

For me, a cross is a type of straight punch. A jab is also straight, but you don't call it a straight left. I understand perfectly what he meant by that. I just thought it was odd, because every boxing coach I had before called it a cross. He said cross is an improper term.

The thing about muscles is bit different. He said that boxers shouldn't lift weights to gain muscle at all. I said I disagreed with him, and I referenced that olympic sprinters lift weights. He told me that no olympic sprinter lifts weights. There is video of Usain Bolt lifting online, so that's just blatant lack of research. Now, I know the type of lifting a boxer should do is different than a bodybuilder, but I've known that forever.

He claimed this 125lbs guy could punch harder than me despite me being over 200lbs at the time. I was admittedly out of shape for me, but I easily had more conditioning than anyone else in the class. We did a 2mile run as a warm up, I started 5min after everyone else, because I had to put on my shoes. I still finished 1st. I have also been boxing for 3yrs, so I had some technique. I don't think it's perfect, but I know I punch harder than that kid. I actually went to the gym a different day and worked with a different boxing coach that said my technique as far as punching goes was pretty good. His problem was with what I Knew I needed help with, headmovement and footwork.

For me, a cross is a type of straight punch. A jab is also straight, but you don't call it a straight left. I understand perfectly what he meant by that. I just thought it was odd, because every boxing coach I had before called it a cross. He said cross is an improper term.

The thing about muscles is bit different. He said that boxers shouldn't lift weights to gain muscle at all. I said I disagreed with him, and I referenced that olympic sprinters lift weights. He told me that no olympic sprinter lifts weights. There is video of Usain Bolt lifting online, so that's just blatant lack of research. Now, I know the type of lifting a boxer should do is different than a bodybuilder, but I've known that forever.

He claimed this 125lbs guy could punch harder than me despite me being over 200lbs at the time. I was admittedly out of shape for me, but I easily had more conditioning than anyone else in the class. We did a 2mile run as a warm up, I started 5min after everyone else, because I had to put on my shoes. I still finished 1st. I have also been boxing for 3yrs, so I had some technique. I don't think it's perfect, but I know I punch harder than that kid. I actually went to the gym a different day and worked with a different boxing coach that said my technique as far as punching goes was pretty good. His problem was with what I Knew I needed help with, headmovement and footwork.

First, surprisingly, there is a straight left. Old school boxers use a straight left instead of a modern "jab". So that's one thing. I think the trainer is old school, which is probably why he thought cross is an improper term.

For another, punching power is not depends on weight or the amount of muscle you have. You might be a buff 250 pounds man, but that doesn't mean that you gonna have the KO power people desire. BUT some people like Kid Yamamoto (who is a featherweight) who have massive KO power in their hand. I subscribed to the view that KO power is more of a genetic issue. Of course, you can get better punching power by training and refinement of technique, but you will be nowhere near that no matter how hard you train.

Nuclear- I actually agree with you about the straight punch issue. I've always considered a straight punch to be different from a jab or cross. Kung fu and Wing Chun have straight punches that are different than almost any punches in boxing. That is where I find a jab and a cross to be different.

Punching power, I have to disagree. Punching power is Mass x Acceleartion = Force. That is just the physics behind it. Now, proper technique will create the most efficient way to use your mass and speed. Proper training in both technique and athleticism can improve you here. In the end, mass has very much to do with punching power. Heavyweights with average technique will still punch much harder than lightweights with great technique. That light weight would have to be punching faster than what is physically possible to actually hit harder.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/true-knockout-power-335694/
You should read this thread. People have been discuss about it back and forth already,

You are missing the point. The physics of a punch are a fact. There isn't anything magic or lucky about it. It's just physics. Some people are genetically more capable of punching faster just like some people are genetically larger which can both cause more punching power.

Technique teaches the most efficient way to put energy into a punch. It puts as much mass and speed into your punch to get your maximum punching power.

Punching power, I have to disagree. Punching power is Mass x Acceleartion = Force. That is just the physics behind it. Now, proper technique will create the most efficient way to use your mass and speed. Proper training in both technique and athleticism can improve you here. In the end, mass has very much to do with punching power. Heavyweights with average technique will still punch much harder than lightweights with great technique. That light weight would have to be punching faster than what is physically possible to actually hit harder.

You are correct, however technique plays a bigger part than you might think. The mass you actually hit with is actually a fraction of the bodies total mass, more comparable to the weight of a persons arm and is known as the effective mass. Studies have shown that a super heavyweight amateur boxer 200lb+ has an effective punching mass of around 5kg while a flyweight 115lb has an effective mass of 2.3kg. A SHW with poor technique might not be able to equal the effective mass of a flyweight. Another study looked at peak forces for punching and found that Elite boxers had peak punch forces of around 4800N while novices were around 2300N, a huge difference based entirely on technique. So it's quite feasable that a novice SHW might not punch as hard as an elite Flyweight.

Aries- I pretty much agree with you. Elite level boxers will have the best technique to punch, so they will be using the most efficient way to punch. This puts the most mass and speed into the punch possible. Now, an amateur SHW could still possibly punch harder than an elite level featherweight. If the SHW has ok technique, he probably will still punch harder than an elite level featherweight. Now, a 300lbs man with 0 punching technique might not punch as hard as fighters smaller than featherweight with great technique.

Only thing I want to point out is technique isn't the only thing that separates the elite from the novices of the same weight. The athletic ability of the elite fighters allows them to punch harder too. The combination of being superior athletically and technically makes them the best punchers.

I've had hard sparring sessions with guys much bigger than me who were no bouters or still novices that I didn't feel hit as hard as more experienced fighters 100lbs lighter with better leverage and natural punching power. Being able to place your shot and land punches which your opponent don't see coming is important too.

Your coach says you don't hit as hard as that flyweight because of your punching technique. Perhaps he's trying to make a point and get you to think about what you're doing wrong, but instead you're arguing with him about the physics and saying that other coach thought your punches weren't as bad as your footwork and head movement.

Also some coaches don't like weight training. They're stuck in their ways really, although to be fair it's not always the best use of your time especially when you're still a beginner and probably looking to lose a little weight for competition.

I'd base your opinion on this coach on his actual technical advice rather than these other things so far, although they understandably might not give off the best impression I personally wouldn't be put off in your situation, wouldn't argue with him and would reserve judgement until I actually worked with him.

Here's the thing, he had never seen me box before or even throw a punch when he said the flyweight could punch harder than me. At the end of the class he said he was impressed with me. I worked with another coach at the same gym another day, and he said my punching form was good. He was the one that said my footwork and head movement was what needed more work than my punching form. I know for a fact I punch harder than the flyweight. His technique wasn't better than mine. If it was, it was minute enough that my size will make me punch harder.

I didn't argue with him. He asked whether speed or strength mattered more in punching power. I said that they both matter which is correct. That is why I mentioned the physics of punching. I didn't actually debate it with him. I just quit talking, because I got the impression that he wasn't going to change his mind.

I honestly still am not sure whether this guy knows what he is talking about. He had us doing and said many weird things. I was taking the class, because I know I need to improve my boxing technique. He spent most of the class just talking about all his accomplishments and why he'd kick our asses, not coaching us. I don't like coaches that do that. I coach soccer, and I don't normally speak about may playing career at all when I coach. That isn't the time or place to do this. You are supposed to be coaching and that is it.

He also had us before warming up at all do jerky fast movements for stretches. That is just against anything you are supposed to do in sports. You are supposed to warm up first then do gradual stretches. Jerky and explosive movements are only meant to be done once you have fully warmed up and stretched. He criticized me for not doing them at first, so I eventually just did it hoping I wouldn't injure myself. I currently have a strained quadriceps, so muscle injury prevention is something I care about.

I have had many boxing coaches, and this is the only one I left with a negative mindset. The others I have all liked.

Mentioning the sparring sessions. That is different than judging a pure power based punch. It's still possible the bigger guys actually generate more force. The difference being the technique of the more experienced boxers. They are more accurate and have better timing. That will make the punches feel much more painful than a bigger guy hitting glancing blows or poorly timed punches.

I think I misread your post then as I was trying to read between the lines too much. If he hadn't ever seen you throw a punch and said that he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about then and it doesn't sound like you're going to gel

Lets just say I won't be joining his class again. I might try to see if he can give me legitimate instruction individually, or I'll use the other coaches.

He also accused me of being out of shape which for my standards I was at the time. I then beat everyone in a 2mile run including his flyweight he loved so much.

rule of thumb boxing trainers are not the guys to ask about strength and conditioning most (not all ) don't know what they are talking about.

Cross and straight right is the same. I actually just call it the right hand.

Mass plays a roll In punching power, just like strength does. You are not wrong take a big rock and a little rock, throw them up 2 inches let both of them land on ur head which one will hurt more....

That wasn't for you as much as it was for the other people who will read this and still prefer to try to deny the laws of physics

Last edited:
Back