Ask me anything about boxing technique

What do you guys think of the lead hand parry of the jab? We were working it a little in class today (Muay Thai, not boxing), and it got me thinking. I usually don't use it because I am not a fan of being head kicked or hit by a right straight. But if I'm in a good position to negate the right hand, can I use the lead hand parry to create a false opening? It seems to me that, just like moving in a certain way to give your opponent the impression you're open, or like taking your right hand farther from your chin to bait the jab, you could bait the 1-2 by parrying with the lead hand and counter with an overhand right of your own.

What say you?

look at Paul Williams, he was like 6-2 fought from 147 - 160 he had the body of a stick and move guy but he was a brawler through and through. You don't need one hit ko power to be an effective fighter but your gonna have to add some strength to that frame of yours if u want to add some pop to your punches. The main thing about power and technique is that you have to put your weight behind your punches that's what they mean when they say sit down on your punches.

I agree. I'd like to add a little detail to 'sitting down' on punches: the heel-toe switch. What this actually means in practice is having your weight firmly sunk on to the heel on the same side you are punching from. So rear hand, heel right down and up on the 'toe' (ball) of your opposite foot. As you throw your punch you explosively come up on the toe of your punching side and drop as fast as you can onto the heel of the opposite foot. To accomplish this drop you need to keep your lower body as relaxed as possible. Any tension and you are merely resisting the downward forces of gravity and the torque generated from your opposing leg. The faster you can shift the weight from the heel of one foot to the heel of the other the more power you will generate. You will find your punches just naturally fire out when you do this correctly. And that is how you sit down on your punches.

What do you guys think of the lead hand parry of the jab? We were working it a little in class today (Muay Thai, not boxing), and it got me thinking. I usually don't use it because I am not a fan of being head kicked or hit by a right straight. But if I'm in a good position to negate the right hand, can I use the lead hand parry to create a false opening? It seems to me that, just like moving in a certain way to give your opponent the impression you're open, or like taking your right hand farther from your chin to bait the jab, you could bait the 1-2 by parrying with the lead hand and counter with an overhand right of your own.

What say you?

I've used something like this, lead hand jab Perry, jab to the chest. Not something you want to do all the time because a feint straight right may rock your world lol

I always try to push forward and keep an active jab. I throw mostly light jabs and straight rights but when I press my opponent against the wall I start peppering his face with weak shots but big ones to the body mixed in. For some reason if I'm always trying to push the pace I never get tired. Whereas if I play counter striking and sit back I get exhausted moving around. Wassup wit dat?

I always try to push forward and keep an active jab. I throw mostly light jabs and straight rights but when I press my opponent against the wall I start peppering his face with weak shots but big ones to the body mixed in. For some reason if I'm always trying to push the pace I never get tired. Whereas if I play counter striking and sit back I get exhausted moving around. Wassup wit dat?
most likely ur tense, and ready to coil on the first mistake ur opponent would make.

Your prob not used to counter striking, you are not relaxing . Take your time, breath

Okay so I started MMA just now and liked ask something.

When we took our stance we were told to have an imagenary pipe going through our head and arse. The we were taught the jab and said that the pipe is still there but nothing was said about the pipe when we did backhand straight. So do I still stand one line or can I move my body slightly to side once I have turned it?

Sorry about my explanasion, hope you understand.

Okay so I started MMA just now and liked ask something.

When we took our stance we were told to have an imagenary pipe going through our head and arse. The we were taught the jab and said that the pipe is still there but nothing was said about the pipe when we did backhand straight. So do I still stand one line or can I move my body slightly to side once I have turned it?

Sorry about my explanasion, hope you understand.

once you punch you return back to your starting position, if not then then next time u punch it won't have the same power

Hope that answers your question

When you double jab, are both jabs complete on their own, without a hip turn, gain a bit of power from stutter steps, or do you turn your hip a little into the first one and more into the second one?

I agree. I'd like to add a little detail to 'sitting down' on punches: the heel-toe switch. What this actually means in practice is having your weight firmly sunk on to the heel on the same side you are punching from. So rear hand, heel right down and up on the 'toe' (ball) of your opposite foot. As you throw your punch you explosively come up on the toe of your punching side and drop as fast as you can onto the heel of the opposite foot. To accomplish this drop you need to keep your lower body as relaxed as possible. Any tension and you are merely resisting the downward forces of gravity and the torque generated from your opposing leg. The faster you can shift the weight from the heel of one foot to the heel of the other the more power you will generate. You will find your punches just naturally fire out when you do this correctly. And that is how you sit down on your punches.

Very interesting, I'll test this out next time I'm on the bags.

When you double jab, are both jabs complete on their own, without a hip turn, gain a bit of power from stutter steps, or do you turn your hip a little into the first one and more into the second one?

the norm is to Put power on the last punch.however there isn't a set do it this do what's working at the time be adaptable

the norm is to Put power on the last punch.however there isn't a set do it this do what's working at the time be adaptable

Thanks. That makes sense.

What do you think about making a 90 degree pivot with a hook punch, elbow up?

I've always hook punched elbow down for safety and never pivoted. I just pop my hips a little. That way I can stay in real tight. Familton's way of throwing hooks with a lot more power than I ever saw with them, with the elbow parallel to the ground pivoting 90 degrees is interesting. Pivoting back, you can make a really hard cross without coming forward, saying basically in hook range, or you can walk out. its neat.

I've been watching / taking detailed notes on Don Familton's Superior Boxing series the last week and have been working on my technique his way. Fast jabs, without a hip turn, striking on a down step for each, seem to feel great for me. Also, his way of jab / cross and some other stuff I feel like is really informing me. I can't wait to spar in a couple of hours.

Thanks. That makes sense.

What do you think about making a 90 degree pivot with a hook punch, elbow up?

I've always hook punched elbow down for safety and never pivoted. I just pop my hips a little. That way I can stay in real tight. Familton's way of throwing hooks with a lot more power than I ever saw with them, with the elbow parallel to the ground pivoting 90 degrees is interesting. Pivoting back, you can make a really hard cross without coming forward, saying basically in hook range, or you can walk out. its neat.

I've been watching / taking detailed notes on Don Familton's Superior Boxing series the last week and have been working on my technique his way. Fast jabs, without a hip turn, striking on a down step for each, seem to feel great for me. Also, his way of jab / cross and some other stuff I feel like is really informing me. I can't wait to spar in a couple of hours.

yes, I pivot on my hooks but I angle my elbow depending on how close I am to my opponent if I am close, the elbow raises a lil bit at the last second. Further out I'll get full 90 degree extension on my elbow

Familton's stuff is good. Tons of knowledge. You should take a look at Kenny Weldon's as well and maybe some other coaches like Roach, Amber, and etc. Compare to your current coach(es). They all have their own preference and idiosyncrasies.

Familton's stuff is good. Tons of knowledge. You should take a look at Kenny Weldon's as well and maybe some other coaches like Roach, Amber, and etc. Compare to your current coach(es). They all have their own preference and idiosyncrasies.

yep that's what I love about boxing, we all have the same basic moves but how we apply them is always a little different

Thanks for the name drop. I'll look it up.

I made some good hits today. It's coming along.

How would you go on boxing against a guy who favors his lead arm that likes to mix up jab and hooks constantly?

How would you go on boxing against a guy who favors his lead arm that likes to mix up jab and hooks constantly?

circle right, keep your jab up and active work on countering his jab, keep right hand up don't let it get lazy

I dunno. I throw the hook off the jab when someone tries to move to their right off it. It's how I control position. They move right I hook, they move left I toss out a wide right hand.

I typically will catch the jab and counter jab keeping the arm ready to come up an cover if the hook shoots out or follow it back in with a right hand. I try to draw out the hook so I can get in with my own counters, then fight inside.

Last edited:
Back