Ask a top tier amateur gamer anything

Someone posted a study awhile ago either here or on another place i visit. It dealt with how the majority of people rate themselves in tasks in relation to professionals and novices. Consensus was that the majority always listed their ability as slightly above average. Even though when elements used to test their abilities would list them below the median.

His post followed this structure in some places but not all. Leading me to believe theirs some genuine humility with his post.
Thanks! Im sure there are cases where i wasnt as good as i thought, but to be fair i did achieve beta grandmaster, gladiator, legend, etc across different games which is pretty much an objective reflection of my playing ability beyond my own opinion

ahh warcraft 2... dating myself here but I played the shit out that game one year in college. I was a stud muffin'... My ogre bloodlust bum rush was the stuff of legends. used to be able to destroy average players 1v3. When I quit I had not met anyone who could beat me in that game 1v1 but that was when the internet was still young and there were no global matching games. It coulda steered my life towards professional gaming but I ended being an engineer... :(

side note: funny story about a mac game called marathon. It was basically unreal tourney before unreal tourney came out and it was a huge game on my campus. extremely competitive. Anyway I played the first semester and was tearing people up. Early in the 2nd semester I had moved onto other games. 3rd semester (I went to Drexel and it was trimester school), I got this message from a random student on my comp requesting a 1v1 challenge. I was like "wtf? why you want to challenge bro?". he replied I was ranked 4th on the list of the best marathoners and he wanted to take my spot. I was like "waaahhht" I had stopped playing that game months ago. So he challenged me and beat me. Then I get a messaged from this kid (SN John Shaft) who was considered the best in the game and he told me he made that list and wanted and challenged me 1v1 to confirm I was no longer competitive. He destroyed me then promptly removed me from the list. But I thought it was funny that I was considered a top tier gamer long after I had stopped playing.

edit:

QUESTION - I actually did have one. How often did you play throughout you gaming career. hours on Average per day/week/month? With our without part full time job? What was your best year in terms of making money?

Awesome man sounds like u were a killer!! Haha yeah imo bloodlust > pally heal in war2.. trying to micro the heals mid battle was way harder than pre bloodlusting and charging..

Thats pretty cool that u got random gaming challenges in person

For ur question, like i said ive always been amateur gamer, anything ive won was minor (ie baron nashor tournament in lol beta, we just got our accounts spruced up with some packages like free champs and stuff), so ive always worked real jobs.

I played a lot of fighting games and FPS competitively.
Got some wins but nothing substantial to live off of.
A lot of people look at these twitch streamers and think it's an easy pay day. Spend all this money buying streaming equipment and PC hardware just to find out nobody gives 2 shits about their stream because you can't buy a likable personality.
I've seen this happen to so many people, friends included, and they think it's an actual revenue for income.
The fact is only 5% of streamers, if that, make enough money to live off of.
Everyone looks at these one-percenters and think they could do the same.

Waste of time and money unless:
a) you have a great personality, humor, and decent gaming skills
b) big ol' tatas
c) tons of followers already
Agree with you here, its certainly not easy to make it big on twitch

Do gamers with YouTube channels make enough money from YouTube to not need to work a regular job?
Just the top streamers.. i am more familiar with twitch actually. But in twitch u have 5 dollar monthly channel subscriptions.. so once ur recurring subscribers start to build you can live off it, but its certainly tough to build a subscriber base

Can't go around calling yourself a top tier gamer when you're currently into Rocket League.
Rocket League is a great game! Very skill based, very smooth gameplay, very low RNG factor, very challenging and very exciting. Its also a game u can listen to music while playing (unlike fps) so its relaxing in that sense. Have to say its one of my fav games to play with friends, how come u dont like it?

Yes actually :)

<mma4>

Unless they looked like this:

giphy.gif

<6>

Rocket League is a great game! Very skill based, very smooth gameplay, very low RNG factor, very challenging and very exciting. Its also a game u can listen to music while playing (unlike fps) so its relaxing in that sense. Have to say its one of my fav games to play with friends, how come u dont like it?

Nahh Rocket is cool I agree. Very difficult but I do wish I had the hours to pump into it.

Grew up on MOHAA then COD2 then WoW then CSGO. Then the career came along.

cool thread.

Would you say that the fact that you didn't become pro was attributable to the hours you put in compared to others who put even more, or was it just raw abilities?

BTW I find these hours absolutely insane. I have very rarely played 5 hours + per day and when I did I felt disgusting after.
Hmmm. I played a lot so id say raw abilities mostly. My decision making was always overly aggressive which led to inconsistency against top players. Had trouble understanding win conditions at a pro level for a lot of my prime as well. I was good but the pros of the big games were just better.

I remember in league beta a 1v1 top against reginald, singed vs tryndamere. I was absolutely reking him in lane, up 3-0. Then midgame i gave him some breathing room and he got some nice farm off, ended up hitting 300 cs and then tryndamere is a hyper carry, he carried the late game and we lost because i gave a tryndmere too much breathing room... careless actions like this cost me a lot of games

Nahh Rocket is cool I agree. Very difficult but I do wish I had the hours to pump into it.

Grew up on MOHAA then COD2 then WoW then CSGO. Then the career came along.
I will say, it was extremely hard coming back to a gamepad for rocket league after many years on kb/m. Took me months just to be able to control car properly, let alone start doing aerials and all the cool shit

hi boys!! Want to give any young and budding gamers an opportunity to ask a veteran any questions they feel like! I am 34 btw

I started competitive pvp gaming with Warcraft 2 on kali in the 90s... i wasnt great but it was a good learning experience
My first big game where i was able to dominate people online was diablo 1.. i played legit/ pure characters and with proper counter builds i was undefeated dueling on my lvl 40+ war and rogue. The community of strong players was a chan called "legit" on us east bnet

After that was starcraft, my longest played game of all time, and my first game where i was able to compete in and win tournaments. I played mostly 2v2.. hung out mostly in clan x17 chan or like DS clan chan when i was in DS.. this is the first game where i was at a level where i could meet professional gamers. I met guillaume patry (x'ds~grrrr...) while playing sc, one of the best players world wide before koreans took over, played with testie for years (who was one of best north american players), i met sal garrozo (3d volcano) while playing starcraft, we went on to play counter strike together, and he eventually became on of the best CS 1.6 players in the world, winning top tournaments with team 3D, a long time best north american team. Sal is overall the best gamer i have ever met. At his peak when 1v1 against him for practice, it felt like playing against a cheater, but i knew he was legit as we competed together, were friends, and he competed at many live lans by then.

Which brings us to CS. I played in cal-m before there was a cal-p, so there was only a 16 team cal-i above cal-m. I was about a mid tier cal-m player competitively. But of course there was no match making at the time so when joining public servers to play for fun i could often destroy the game 40-5 or so and get banned for "cheating" by a sore admin.

After that was my next big game, and the game i feel was my peak over my career. Wow arenas. My greatest success was playing resto shaman where at my peak (seasons 2-5) i was able to hit about 2600 rating in all brackets and achieve gladiator. My highest rank was top 30 shaman worldwide when it was at about 10 million subscribers. I was an absolute monster in battlegrounds and arenas, and i could play any class at about a 2200+ level, but shaman was my best.

After that i went into league of legends. In the beta my friends and I were able to win the first ever tournament they held called "baron nashor tournament" and i was able to hit beta grandmaster (top 100) for the beta overall (still have summoner icon). Here i was able to meet and play with a lot of guys who became pro lol gamers such as dyrus, hotshotgg, reginald, etc etc. However at this point i was working full time and getting older, so ive been mostly a platinum level player in league. Diamond is really a struggle, i have hit it in 3s but not in 5s solo queue. The kids a very good these days and diamond players are quite challenging for me at this point.
I also play hearthstone now and then and am able to hit legend if i put in the time. It takes a solid deck and about 200 games played

Other than that, i currently play rocket league, pubg, and heroes of the storm once in a while

So thats my gaming career, never professional but i definitely fell into the top tier of the amateur game at certain points, so if you are a curious gamer, ask me anything!

When Xcom Enemy Unknown first came out for Xbox 360 I was the number 1 ranked player in the United States for the first 3 months. Being king is tough and I gave it up eventually and let one of my friendly competitors have the crown.

I invented the strategy to have 6 supports with rifles while everyone else were spending their points on making super soldiers or guys that could stealth.

For awhile a lot of people were using flying snipers and i would just hang back and chill til their fuel ran out. ;)

I play LoL once in awhile.

My question: Who is your favorite LoL champs to use?

I always liked Garen.

When Xcom Enemy Unknown first came out for Xbox 360 I was the number 1 ranked player in the United States for the first 3 months. Being king is tough and I gave it up eventually and let one of my friendly competitors have the crown.

I invented the strategy to have 6 supports with rifles while everyone else were spending their points on making super soldiers or guys that could stealth.

For awhile a lot of people were using flying snipers and i would just hang back and chill til their fuel ran out. ;)

I play LoL once in awhile.

My question: Who is your favorite LoL champs to use?

I always liked Garen.
Sick man always cool to invent new strategies that crush unexpecting opponents.. starcraft 1 was the best for that.. so much innovation in that early pro scene.

I main top and mid in lol

Top mains: renekton, patheon, olaf, illaoia

Mid mains: brand, morgana, viktor, leblanc

hi boys!! Want to give any young and budding gamers an opportunity to ask a veteran any questions they feel like! I am 34 btw

I started competitive pvp gaming with Warcraft 2 on kali in the 90s... i wasnt great but it was a good learning experience
My first big game where i was able to dominate people online was diablo 1.. i played legit/ pure characters and with proper counter builds i was undefeated dueling on my lvl 40+ war and rogue. The community of strong players was a chan called "legit" on us east bnet

After that was starcraft, my longest played game of all time, and my first game where i was able to compete in and win tournaments. I played mostly 2v2.. hung out mostly in clan x17 chan or like DS clan chan when i was in DS.. this is the first game where i was at a level where i could meet professional gamers. I met guillaume patry (x'ds~grrrr...) while playing sc, one of the best players world wide before koreans took over, played with testie for years (who was one of best north american players), i met sal garrozo (3d volcano) while playing starcraft, we went on to play counter strike together, and he eventually became on of the best CS 1.6 players in the world, winning top tournaments with team 3D, a long time best north american team. Sal is overall the best gamer i have ever met. At his peak when 1v1 against him for practice, it felt like playing against a cheater, but i knew he was legit as we competed together, were friends, and he competed at many live lans by then.

Which brings us to CS. I played in cal-m before there was a cal-p, so there was only a 16 team cal-i above cal-m. I was about a mid tier cal-m player competitively. But of course there was no match making at the time so when joining public servers to play for fun i could often destroy the game 40-5 or so and get banned for "cheating" by a sore admin.

After that was my next big game, and the game i feel was my peak over my career. Wow arenas. My greatest success was playing resto shaman where at my peak (seasons 2-5) i was able to hit about 2600 rating in all brackets and achieve gladiator. My highest rank was top 30 shaman worldwide when it was at about 10 million subscribers. I was an absolute monster in battlegrounds and arenas, and i could play any class at about a 2200+ level, but shaman was my best.

After that i went into league of legends. In the beta my friends and I were able to win the first ever tournament they held called "baron nashor tournament" and i was able to hit beta grandmaster (top 100) for the beta overall (still have summoner icon). Here i was able to meet and play with a lot of guys who became pro lol gamers such as dyrus, hotshotgg, reginald, etc etc. However at this point i was working full time and getting older, so ive been mostly a platinum level player in league. Diamond is really a struggle, i have hit it in 3s but not in 5s solo queue. The kids a very good these days and diamond players are quite challenging for me at this point.
I also play hearthstone now and then and am able to hit legend if i put in the time. It takes a solid deck and about 200 games played

Other than that, i currently play rocket league, pubg, and heroes of the storm once in a while

So thats my gaming career, never professional but i definitely fell into the top tier of the amateur game at certain points, so if you are a curious gamer, ask me anything!

I too started off strong in league. One point I was ranked 24 during season 1. Competed with all the old pros hotshot, dyrus, regi. When I got matched up with dyrus in que we would take turns playing singed.
I might have played with or against you .

I too struggle with diamond /plat these days

I too started off strong in league. One point I was ranked 24 during season 1. Competed with all the old pros hotshot, dyrus, regi. When I got matched up with dyrus in que we would take turns playing singed.
I might have played with or against you .

I too struggle with diamond /plat these days
DT777 is that you?!

Haha i was also singed player in beta me and DT used to argue about who was best singed in world. RiotZileas was also singed main in beta (and former pro sc player, played with him there too), and banned singed against me in baron nashor tournament hahaha!!

Dyrus was singed player but he actually mained jax, and his username was actually 'iplayjax' before dyrus. He was a good jax but actually my teamate "bigmclargehuge" was the best jax in beta, and actually one of the best players in beta bar none.

Edit: lmfao @ amount of "actually" in second paragraph just reread it

DT777 is that you?!

Haha i was also singed player in beta me and DT used to argue about who was best singed in world. RiotZileas was also singed main in beta (and former pro sc player, played with him there too), and banned singed against me in baron nashor tournament hahaha!!

Dyrus was singed player but he actually mained jax, and his username was actually 'iplayjax' before dyrus. He was a good jax but actually my teamate "bigmclargehuge" was the best jax in beta, and actually one of the best players in beta bar none.

Edit: lmfao @ amount of "actually" in second paragraph just reread it
I played with bigmclargehuge in solo queue a few times . Funny I remember these names that was 2009 I think

I played with bigmclargehuge in solo queue a few times . Funny I remember these names that was 2009 I think
He was the best early player imo, my teamate. If u asked him who was best he would tell you Salce, who was superb (esp. amumu). Another early standout was this guy Classick.. best farming ashe in game early on. Bigmclargehuge plays heroes of the storm these days, he was ranked 13 in NA couple months ago but i havent played too much HOTS lately, not sure where he is now

I used to be hardcore into WoW. I always wanted to get good at arena but I was mostly a raider. What was your shamans name, faction and what seever did you play on? Did you ever enter blizzcon?

Kali? Wasn't that the Europe server? I didn't play WC2 but was regularly top 100 on WC3 East in 1v1 and 2v2. Broke top 30 a few times but never really could stay there.

StarCraft really takes me back. I remember that "grrrrrr" guy and testie. Those guys were good at 1v1, not so much at team play though. Do you remember clan IEL or clan [Star!] or The-Planets? I was Phelan-of-IEL and one of the 2-3 who used The-Mars. Best guy I ever played with was Wishing[Star!]. That guy was about as good as Testie in 1v1 but way better at 2v2 and 3v3. I never understood why he didn't want to go pro.

What was your StarCraft name?

Last edited:
Back in the day I was in some CS clan and we either played a cal match or at least a cal tryout or some shit. We got humiliated. Those dudes were otherworldly, and they were probably shit-tier as far as cal went. Was the beginning and end of my competitive gaming career

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back