• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Asburd MMA Moments: Khalidov Rocks Santiago With A Hammerfist From His Back

Bobby Boulders

My Lovin' Is Digi
Platinum Member
Reaction score
When this fight happened, back in 2009, some may have expected a good scrap, but Jorge Santiago had been on a great run up to this point. In the couple of years leading up to this fight he had beaten Andrei Semenov, Jeremy Horn, Sean Salmon and Trevor Prangley (en route to a Strikeforce MWGP Championship), Siyar Bahadurzada, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Kazuo Misaki, and others, and had not lost in 3 years. Mamed Khalidov, on the other hand, had beaten Jason Guida on an EliteXC Challengers show, and PrideFC veteran Daniel Acacio, with a win over Igor Prokrajac back in 2006. He had not lost in 4 years, but the disparity in competition between the two was obvious, and Santiago was the reigning Sengoku MW Champion. This fight was a non title bout, and was certainly not expected (or meant) to end the way it did, and if we thought it would end so oddly we would he lying. People like to throw around the word "fluke" in reference to Mousasi's upkick KO of Jacare, but those people have not seen the ending of Khalidov/Santiago I.

They'd go on to rematch at the next Sengoku event, five months later, with Santiago taking a hard fought split decision win. Santiago would go on to have a rematch with Misaki that would go down as a classic fight, and then return to the UFC to no success (going 1-5 all-time in the UFC), and then quietly retiring in 2013. After Khalidov/Santiago II, Khalidov would go without a loss for 8 years, until March if this year, beating fighters like James Irvin, Maiquel Falcao, Matt Linland, and Melvin Manhoef.

The "killing blow" in this fight ranks up there with the "Hammerfist of Doom" in ridiculousness (I am aware that the HFOD was not an actual kill shot, still, an odd absurdity).

Enjoy.

that's very similar to the hammer fist nico price or whoever did from the bottom a few ufc's ago

that's very similar to the hammer fist nico price or whoever did from the bottom a few ufc's ago
That is the only other time I can think of something like this happening. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any off the top.

I used to think it had something to do with Khalidov's leg being up by the side of Jorge's head
I thought it was a kick at first, but I wondered did it have something to do with his head being pushed up against Khalidov's shin, maybe acted like a double impact.

Or I could be talking shite, Jorge had a few highlight KO's going against him already at this point

Scott Jorgensen KO'd someone from his back, can't remember if it was elbows or punches though

I used to think it had something to do with Khalidov's leg being up by the side of Jorge's head
I thought it was a kick at first, but I wondered did it have something to do with his head being pushed up against Khalidov's shin, maybe acted like a double impact.

Or I could be talking shite, Jorge had a few highlight KO's going against him already at this point

Scott Jorgensen KO'd someone from his back, can't remember if it was elbows or punches though
Idk, I agree with you. Seems like Khalidov's leg left Santiago's head with nowhere to go. It's a simple technique, but it works. If I remember correctly, that was the same thing that happened with the Niko Price KO.

Idk, I agree with you. Seems like Khalidov's leg left Santiago's head with nowhere to go. It's a simple technique, but it works. If I remember correctly, that was the same thing that happened with the Niko Price KO.
That what I was thinking, Niko had his shin upside the guys head I think and bam, impact from both sides

When this fight happened, back in 2009, some may have expected a good scrap, but Jorge Santiago had been on a great run up to this point. In the couple of years leading up to this fight he had beaten Andrei Semenov, Jeremy Horn, Sean Salmon and Trevor Prangley (en route to a Strikeforce MWGP Championship), Siyar Bahadurzada, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Kazuo Misaki, and others, and had not lost in 3 years. Mamed Khalidov, on the other hand, had beaten Jason Guida on an EliteXC Challengers show, and PrideFC veteran Daniel Acacio, with a win over Igor Prokrajac back in 2006. He had not lost in 4 years, but the disparity in competition between the two was obvious, and Santiago was the reigning Sengoku MW Champion. This fight was a non title bout, and was certainly not expected (or meant) to end the way it did, and if we thought it would end so oddly we would he lying. People like to throw around the word "fluke" in reference to Mousasi's upkick KO of Jacare, but those people have not seen the ending of Khalidov/Santiago I.

They'd go on to rematch at the next Sengoku event, five months later, with Santiago taking a hard fought split decision win. Santiago would go on to have a rematch with Misaki that would go down as a classic fight, and then return to the UFC to no success (going 1-5 all-time in the UFC), and then quietly retiring in 2013. After Khalidov/Santiago II, Khalidov would go without a loss for 8 years, until March if this year, beating fighters like James Irvin, Maiquel Falcao, Matt Linland, and Melvin Manhoef.

The "killing blow" in this fight ranks up there with the "Hammerfist of Doom" in ridiculousness (I am aware that the HFOD was not an actual kill shot, still, an odd absurdity).

Enjoy.

Khalidov is among the best fighters in the world who never ended up in the UFC. He chose the easy life, being the big fish in the small pond (KSW) and I understand that but it is disappointing that we never saw him vs the best in the world.

BTW note Sherdog forums being mentioned at the very end. :D

I think his head being trapped absolutely increased the amount of force that went to Santiago's head. Someone in Bellator recently did the same thing, trapped the guys' head on top with his foot and landed a hard hammerfist that rocked him.

If Santiago had a strong chin he would have been so much better.

...i really liked Sengoku...

Santiago probably had it all...except for a good chin...

A little bit ironic that he gets put away by Khalidov's hammerfist...but goes through 2 wars with Misaki...without getting put away...

I also remember a dude getting ko'd while being in mount...was at a Shooto event

Back