As long as GSP vacates his belt, why do people care so much if he doesn't defend?

It’s because other fighters like Whitaker, Jacare (at the time, more due to Henderson) and Romero deserved rightful shots at the belt, now it looks like bobby knuckles will be promoted to main champion and that annoys me because Bisping should have fought him. If this was GSP plan why did he need to fight Bisping for the belt at all, should off just made it a normal fight but instead he wanted to go down as middleweight champion without defending. I don’t know why your so okay with this but I ain’t. I enjoyed 217 and it was a great event but damn I hate the idea of the belt being shafted around with deserving fighters begging for shots.

get used to it, its the way of the ufc

Yes it was a bit of a surprise when GSP said he probably won't defend his title, especially after his statements regarding how he feels obligated to defend it.

But, as long as GSP vacates, why does everyone care so much?

It's not like it's going to be a Conor situation where he's going to keep the belt and put the entire division on hold, GSP has too much respect for the sport and other fighters to do that.
Why vacate when you have better option?
In this case, running.
Ask Conor<FookIsThatGuy>{<Mcgoat}<24>

Yes it was a bit of a surprise when GSP said he probably won't defend his title, especially after his statements regarding how he feels obligated to defend it.

It's not like it's going to be a Conor situation where he's going to keep the belt and put the entire division on hold, GSP has too much respect for the sport and other fighters to do that.

Everyone cares because if you aren't going to defend, why skip the queue? This division was stacked. Jacare, Romero, Mousasi, Weidman, and Rockhold all had claim to title shots or rematches.

If you are going to fuck their careers, at least stick around to defend the belt. Don't just do a hit and run on the division. It's disrespectful to the fighters.

The double standard when it comes to Conor and GSP is hilarious.

Cause he wasting the prime of guys who would beat him. Look at ferguson who's not exactly young, he could have been champ like a year ago, and he's still only the interim. It's the same thing with bisping denying Romero and jacare

I'm a GSP fan, but I have to admit I'm disappointed to hear that he's not going to defend. He signed a contract that included him defending it if he won...not defending makes it look like he cherry picked Bisping as an easy fight and wants no part of the rest of the division. Health concerns aside, you gave your word man...

You’re disappointed that he’s not going to defend because it says in his contract he has to. I doubt there’s anything in there that says if you have health issues it doesn’t matter because you need to die for the company. Are you simple? He’s not going to fight and defend because it’s not healthy for him, not because he's pulling a McGregor and being a bitch. GSP has more class and integrity than any fighter and including Dana White. Don’t be disappointed that he can’t defend at MW, be happy as a fan that he’s back for another round and that’s he’s just improving his already legendary legacy.

It's mainly from the Bisping or Conor fans who have been hounded for months with defend or vacate, now they finally get to try and insult someone else for not defending, even though he's had the title for a month and he will actually vacate it because he has a legit injury.

It’s GSP, Anderoid and Jose “Mr 13 seconds” Aldo nuthuggers will find anything to complain about GSP

So you would have been ok with Bisping and GSP having a non title fight and Bisping not defending his belt? What would be the difference?

My take was that GSP gave it a shot and clearly looked bloated and uncomfortable at 185. He is surrounded by people who feel he should not be at 185 and I agree with that after seeing him fight there. Had he looked the same as he always did at 170 then my opinion would be different.

I agree that the titles should be respected. That is up to the company who owns then to protect that integrity. I can't blame GSP for wanting a big return fight for money and legacy but at the end of the day the company agreed to it.

At least he will actually vacate and not run off to challenge Roy Jones to a boxing match leaving the division in limbo.
The difference for me is that the belt was disrespected, and yeah i would have been okay with it as one of the greatest of all time came to fight the man who had the most ufc wins ever in ufc history at a heavier weight class. But with GSP pushing for the belt the division was delayed, i am sure Bisping would defend the belt if GSP had just came for him so he would know that big fight was always there (wishful thinking I know). It’s left a sour note and I can see why a guy like Luke Rockhold stayed out for longer simply because even if he won a big fight his effort for a title shot is not guaranteed when it should be. He saw Whitaker and Romero be shafted for this

Cause for some ppl belt means the best fighter out there, not simply a tool for ufc to sell more ppv.

Because he came in, cherry picked a fight, got an undeserved title shot, devalued the belt by not defending and jumped the line.

UFC/WME is letting these guys run the show for quick money grabs while hurting the legitimacy and integrity of the sport.

The difference for me is that the belt was disrespected, and yeah i would have been okay with it as one of the greatest of all time came to fight the man who had the most ufc wins ever in ufc history at a heavier weight class. But with GSP pushing for the belt the division was delayed, i am sure Bisping would defend the belt if GSP had just came for him so he would know that big fight was always there (wishful thinking I know). It’s left a sour note and I can see why a guy like Luke Rockhold stayed out for longer simply because even if he won a big fight his effort for a title shot is not guaranteed when it should be. He saw Whitaker and Romero be shafted for this

Ok, I see your point but GSP did not shaft Romero. Bisping could have fought Romero instead of Henderson. As far as I knew, Bobby knuckles was injured and out around the time that GSP was being talked about so no delays there.

The company knows that nobody really gives a shit about Rockhold and he lost to Bisping recently anyway. Romero had lost to bobby knuckles already and if he got the shot coming from that loss and beat bisping then yet another rematch which actually would not be that bad but to get an interim title shot and lose then to get a title shot would be weird also. Jacare lost as well and moose left. The company figured it fit and really on paper it did.

As far as holding up the title goes we have to consider that if the fight was non title then Bisping would still need all the time required whether the belt was on the line or not. He should not be expected to vacate the belt to persue the fight with GSP. That has never been done before. As far as GSP now holding up the division, well, he has not had the belt for very long at all. Some champions only defend a couple times a year and he has not had the strap for even 3 months yet. If he decides not to defend the belt then he will move on soon and Whittaker can fight whoever they feel should get the shot for the real belt, no time really lost.

People were mad at Bisping for sitting on the belt and trying to finish off his career with a few fights he would like to have. Now I see the anger shifting toward GSP who is a very recent champion, as if he should be fighting again next weekend. We should wait to see what he decides to do and be realistic about the time frames.

Guys like Rocksalt can cry all they want but in reality, he got ktfo and in the meantime if he is as good as he says then why not fight Romero, it's not his turn yet. He had it and lost it, wipe off the tears and earn it back. I have not heard a peep out of Whittaker or Romero and respect that.

I personally think GSP is too small to be at mw for any length of time and should move back down. If Dana does not hold him out on the issue then I would imagine GSP will make the announcment sooner rather than later.

If people really care as much as they say then everyone should blow Dana up on social media telling him to let GSP drop back down so we can get things moving and not hold him out on the clause. That is a win for everyone except the GSP haters who look for any excuse to complain. Just my opinion. And I do respect the belt.

But that was a challenge. The people criticizing him don't want him to take a challenge, they want him to do more and more and more, until it's just stupid.

Let's recap. GSP after a 4 years layoff, fights out of his natural division a top 10 MW. How is that not a challenge? It's 100% a challenge, it's just not an impossible task.

Some people just want fighters to be stupid and not think about themselves. They don't want them to be athletes, they want them to be dumb brawlers. GSP is an athlete first and it pisses them off, because it means less blood.

Add to the fact that GSP already had his championship run. He's only coming back for an encore. Why are people expecting a second show again? We've had the show already.
Yup.

Anderson got huge credit for testing himself at MW and GSP often got criticized by the same people for not testing himself at MW.

Well now not only does GSP test himself at MW, he does so against a MW who was far more relevant than Anderson's best win at LHW. And yet what was celebrated for Anderson is being used as an insult against GSP.

As far as holding up the title goes we have to consider that if the fight was non title then Bisping would still need all the time required whether the belt was on the line or not. He should not be expected to vacate the belt to persue the fight with GSP. That has never been done before. .

But it has been done before, it was done anderson silva picking fights with forrest griffin, bj penn stepping up to GSP, the whole conor-diaz feud. i didn't expect bisping to vacate the belt, i just wanted the match to be for no title. Why should GSP win a belt and immediately vacate it, how is this any different to the Germaine De Randamie and Mcgregor fiasco (i know GSP is an all time great)? Also i don't expect GSP to fight straight away but i would be disappointed as a fan if he didn't unify the belts. That's just my take on the situation, me and you clearly see different sides and that's alright.

People love being upset and are always looking for the next bandwagon hashtag to get outraged about - only for a short time, like a child with a new toy. After they spend their energy shouting and hashtagging, they move on, while the real issues remain unsolved. Add to this the fascination with worshipping athletes/celebrities and simultaneously hating them, and there you have a perfect recipe for why GSP gets his every word/move scrutinized. I respect him as an athlete, want him to retire, and don’t hang on his every word.

it's 1.75 years of angst buildup, which started with Bisping v Hendo.

2 years of the best 185 division ever (or maybe since Hendo beat Busta in the GP) shelved.

maddening.

putting it all on GSP now is wrong...and inevitable.

It was a surprise to you? That doesn't speak well of your intuition. He has no respect for the fighters in MW. Otherwise he wouldn't pass all the deserving fighters for the free belt.

honestly, no matter what GSP does, he will get shat on.

Nah.

If he had fought Anderson back in the days, win or lose, hardcore fans would have given him tons of respect.

The belt doesn't mean as much when it is vacated, simple as that

Yep, it becomes a paper championship until the stink wears off it.

GSP was my favorite fighter for many years, but he'll lose me as a fan if he fights again without defending that belt. I'd respect him far more if he got in there and lost as an undersized middleweight who cut no weight than if he simply abandons his belt to avoid the bigger, better fighters. Not that my fandom or respect is worth much.

Though I've got nothing against him leaving the sport again if he's not healthy enough to compete anymore.

Back