Armthrow Counter to Step Around Bodylock?

asian-glow

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

This guy suggests that a step around bodylock can be countered with a head and arm throw (0:58-1:10).

While I see his point, it seems like it would come down to who gets their weight loaded onto themselves first (i.e. If bodylock guy can load opponent onto his hips first, he gets the throw. If arm throw guy can load his opponent onto his hips first, then he gets the throw). I suppose there are other options, but I will ignore them for simplicity unless there are more likely/realistic responses to this scenario.

Potentially any move can be countered at any time depending on the skill levels of those involved.

With that said, does bodylock guy have arm throw guy outpositioned enough to successfully neutralize his opponent's defenses and complete his throw?

What are the main components to ensure this is the case?

In his case, it can easily be countered by a headlock because he is in an over under and heavily leading with his underhook side leg. Headlock City

In his case, it can easily be countered by a headlock because he is in an over under and heavily leading with his underhook side leg. Headlock City

Blue seems to have a bearhug - I don't know if that changes anything. I would think that as long as Blue keeps his hips tight and his head/posture straight on Red, he will mostly neutralize the headlock counter.

Is this not the case?

Blue seems to have a bearhug - I don't know if that changes anything. I would think that as long as Blue keeps his hips tight and his head/posture straight on Red, he will mostly neutralize the headlock counter.

Is this not the case?
No because they are drilling and he is allowed to go in and get monster position with zero resistance. With resistance and timing a factor, headlocks when someone comes barrelling in with an underhook are a serious threat.

No because they are drilling and he is allowed to go in and get monster position with zero resistance. With resistance and timing a factor, headlocks when someone comes barrelling in with an underhook are a serious threat.
I’ve been playing with going underhooks or over/under and headlocking them when they pummel. It’s like magic

Another technique question if you don’t mind me asking. And I’m not asking which is “best” but your preference to teach or do. Do you prefer sag headlock type stuff or backstep?

I’ve been playing with going underhooks or over/under and headlocking them when they pummel. It’s like magic

Another technique question if you don’t mind me asking. And I’m not asking which is “best” but your preference to teach or do. Do you prefer sag headlock type stuff or backstep?
I was a sag headlocker. I teach it that way because its less scary for most kids and it doesnt suck ass to drill.

yeha i do it with the sag too dont wana waste energy im never worried about getting throw due to how low my base is when i get the angle

Back