Arm punches

Mike K.O

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I watched Nate vs Conor again, and Diaz rocked him with arm punches. The same thing happened in Diaz vs Shamrock, where Nick dropped Frank with arm punches. Jack Dempsey also threw his straights like that. So, are arm punches any good, should you train them and use in a fight, or avoid like fire?
edit: Well, you also have this:
{<RR}

Last edited:
a hit is a hit regardless of how its thrown, it will still do damage. there are just better ways to throw things.

analogy, i could use proper baseball form and hit you with a bat, or I could swing it in some weird awkward manner. Either way, your still getting hit with a bat.

a hit is a hit regardless of how its thrown, it will still do damage. there are just better ways to throw things.

analogy, i could use proper baseball form and hit you with a bat, or I could swing it in some weird awkward manner. Either way, your still getting hit with a bat.
Agree on that. If it hits, it will still shake the brain or damage the liver.

Arm punches are not favored, but like was said earlier they can still do damage. However, the torque your hips will provide will almost certainly generate more power, and you may not be in quite as much trouble of fatiguing as with just throwing the arms.

Arm punches are not favored, but like was said earlier they can still do damage. However, the torque your hips will provide will almost certainly generate more power, and you may not be in quite as much trouble of fatiguing as with just throwing the arms.
I noticed that as well. Throwing with my entire body (even haymakers) fells more natural for me anyway.

There is a tactic in Boxing to punch the shoulder so the adevrsario loses strength in the punches.
Now the fighter is a knockout on the arm only if the fighter has a very strong punch.
How force Mike Tyson punching on a medium weight.

Remember that the shoulder is also used in defense in Boxing.

export-3637BW.png

There is a tactic in Boxing to punch the shoulder so the adevrsario loses strength in the punches.
Now the fighter is a knockout on the arm only if the fighter has a very strong punch.
How force Mike Tyson punching on a medium weight.

Remember that the shoulder is also used in defense in Boxing.

export-3637BW.png
Yeah I know about the shoulder roll and punching the opponent in the arm. Have you ever seen a knockdown after a arm punch to the body?

Foreman got away with arm punching all the time

But that's because he was a freak of nature....his flailing arm punches were harder than most overhands

Foreman got away with arm punching all the time

But that's because he was a freak of nature....his flailing arm punches were harder than most overhands
Guys like Foreman or Abbott can get away with arm punching simply because of their power. I wonder how much of it was genetics and how much was training. Abbott is able to bench 600lbs, so he had some serious chest and triceps power.

So I watched Nate vs Conor again, and Diaz rocked him with arm punches. The same thing happened in Diaz vs Shamrock, where Nick dropped Frank with arm punches. Jack Dempsey also threw his straights like that. So, are arm punches any good, should you train them and use in a fight, or avoid like fire?
edit: Well, you also have this:
{<RR}
Honestly I throw most of my crosses as arm punches, don't really push off my back foot unless I want some power behind it. It's mostly because I'm a bit slow so it's quicker to just flick it out there until I get my hand speed up.

EDIT: Actually, let me correct myself, I still turn my hips a bit with the straight, I just don't fully commit or push with my back foot

Guys like Foreman or Abbott can get away with arm punching simply because of their power. I wonder how much of it was genetics and how much was training. Abbott is able to bench 600lbs, so he had some serious chest and triceps power.
Punching power... well, people nowadays say it's genetics, I disagree completely. Imho, it's all technique and skill. Strength has absolutely nothing to do with it. But that's a classic argument in martial arts anyway.

Punching power... well, people nowadays say it's genetics, I disagree completely. Imho, it's all technique and skill. Strength has absolutely nothing to do with it. But that's a classic argument in martial arts anyway.
I'd say that strength is a factor, but I quess we'll never know for sure what really gives the KO power. Some say it's the legs, some say it's the core and some say it's in the arms. Who knows for sure?

I think it's easy to confuse a subtle, efficient (non-exaggerated) punch for an arm punch. You have to really know what you're looking at (and for) or else they will look too similar for the observer to distinguish

When the Spanish arrived for the first time near the shores of the Americas, the Natives could not see the boats at all, only some of them could discern the disruptions in the water. Their minds were so unused to having any category for what these large barges were, they didn't register as anything at all to their eyes

Last edited:
I think it's easy to confuse a subtle, efficient (non-exaggerated) punch for an arm punch. You have to really know what you're looking at (and for) or else they will look too similar for the observer to distinguish

When the Spanish arrived for the first time near the shores of the Americas, the Natives could not see the boats at all, only some of them could discern the disruptions in the water. Their minds were so unused to having any category for what these large barges were, they didn't register as anything at all to their eyes
<mma4>

Yeah I know about the shoulder roll and punching the opponent in the arm. Have you ever seen a knockdown after a arm punch to the body?
Knockout with body punch has several

That is absolute bullshit.

The only reason to throw arm punches is if there is an inherent advantage. They are only at an advantage if you throw them as throwaway pucnhes to set up other stuff. Not to hurt the other guy. Foreman sometimes threw arm punches but none of the punches he hurt other people with were arm punches, he just had an awkward style but he put his hips and body into it.

American education at its finest.

Back