Arizona State Superintendent puts Creationist on panel to review standards on teaching of Evolution

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
TL : DR
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...ew-cookie&mc_cid=190f4a9dd9&mc_eid=22979bf1c7

Arizona State Superintendednt Diane Douglas picked creationist Joseph Kezele as 1 member of a panel to "review Arizona’s standards on how to teach evolution in science class:"

Flaherty reports that in August, Arizona's soon-to-be ex-superintendent appointed Kezele to a working group charged with reviewing and editing the state’s proposed new state science standards on evolution.

Kezele is a biology teacher at Arizona Christian University. He also is president of the Arizona Origin Science Association and, as Flaherty puts it, “a staunch believer in the idea that enough scientific evidence exists to back up the biblical story of creation.

The Superintendent is sympathetic to Creationists

Douglas has been working for awhile now to bring a little Sunday school into science class. This spring she took a red pen to the proposed new science standards, striking or qualifying the word “evolution” wherever it occurred.

This, after calling for creationism to be taught along with evolution during a candidate forum last November.

-

Kezele is a creationist and beleives that Dinos were on the Ark and earth is 6000 years old

"He argued that scientific evidence supports his creationist ideas, including the claims that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs were on board Noah's Ark."
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/creationist-helped-review-arizona-evolution-curriculum-10820376

-
Teach creationism in history , religion or humanities class, but not as Science. There are many creationist stores, why should the school only teach the Abrahamic one. Why don't they include Native American creationist stories too.

Well the US school system is a marxist factory so who cares what they teach at this point.

I think its about time Christians get some representation in our schools science curriculum.

Creationism is absurd. Claiming there are more than 2 genders is absurd.

Retards need to stop being retards.

I think its about time Christians get some representation in our schools science curriculum.
And what would you say to Hindus demanding they insert their unscientific religious jibberish into science classes. Or Muslims demanding science class teach kids that Muhammed rode to heaven on a winged horse.

They put him on a panel to help decide how evolution is taught.

That is a good thing. It does not mean he gets to choose what is in the curriculum, it just means that he is there to have input into how evolution can be taught in a way that is not insensitive or insulting to creationists.

If he attempts to change the curriculum to learn towards something unscientific, then it is a problem.

It's foolish and potentially detrimental towards preparing them for college. I just wouldn't teach it that way, and If I got administrator push back then I'd just move on with my life by doing something else.

Anyone who believes dinosaurs were on the ark doesn’t belong anywhere near education.

That is a good thing. It does not mean he gets to choose what is in the curriculum, it just means that he is there to have input into how evolution can be taught in a way that is not insensitive or insulting to creationists.
That is not good , because it can lead to creationists trying to water down clear straightforward language they perceive as insulting, but language that is scientifically accurate and the norm. Academic curriculum doesn't try to insult creationists , like comedians and some activist atheists do, academic material just lays out the facts in a non-partisan way,

And what would you say to Hindus demanding they insert their unscientific religious jibberish into science classes. Or Muslims demanding science class teach kids that Muhammed rode to heaven on a winged horse.

Easy, you tell them no. They weren't there in the beginning of founding the country.

That is not good , because it can lead to creationists trying to water down clear straightforward language they perceive as insulting, but language that is scientifically accurate and the norm. Academic curriculum doesn't try to insult creationists , like comedians and some activist atheists do, academic material just lays out the facts in a non-partisan way,

I would hope that having one creationist on the panel will not water down scientific information. I think that having a creationist in the room, and allowing them to have some ownership in the curriculum writing process, can be a good thing if it is handled correctly.

But I agree with you. The curriculum does not seek to insult anybody, it's just the facts. Hopefully being on the panel will allow this guy to see that first hand.

It's worth pointing out that so far his input has only affected one standard and not in such a way that actually hinders the explanation of evolution. Hopefully that's as far as it goes.

Easy, you tell them no. They weren't there in the beginning of founding the country.

Lol. You believe that you should get to insert unscientific information into a scientific curriculum because people of your religion were here when the country was founded?

Evolution is taught in science. It sounds like you want science class to be a theology class.

I think it should be up to local communities. We are already teaching our kids that we evolved from ape like creatures which is about as real as muhammad and winged horses.

Also, I'm not suggesting we teach the theological aspects of the Bible but rather the scientific, archeological, and physiological evidence that supports the alternative and much more widely held version of history and the origin of life. That being creation.

If he attempts to change the curriculum to learn towards something unscientific, then it is a problem.
How is it good? Why does a creationist need to help design the method in which evolution is taught?

It makes no fucking sense. Should flat earthers be included in teaching planetary history/geology?

Lol. You believe that you should get to insert unscientific information into a scientific curriculum because people of your religion were here when the country was founded?

Evolution is taught in science. It sounds like you want science class to be a theology class.

I think it's fair all theories get a chance. Christians should get some more representation.

Only some sort of God is capable of creating the goddesses walking around the arizona state campus. Not even in 2.3 billion years could these women evolve in to their current form.

How is it good? Why does a creationist need to help design the method in which evolution is taught?

It makes no fucking sense. Should flat earthers be included in teaching planetary history/geology?

I am starting with the assumption that you can only insert accepted scientific fact into the curriculum. You cannot simply put something incorrect in just because you want it to be there.

So having one representative with a religious background on the panel can be beneficial because it keeps the curriculum review process transparent, and gives him an opportunity to express any concerns they have on behalf of that community.

I think it should be up to local communities. We are already teaching our kids that we evolved from ape like creatures which is about as real as muhammad and winged horses.

Also, I'm not suggesting we teach the theological aspects of the Bible but rather the scientific, archeological, and physiological evidence that supports the alternative and much more widely held version of history and the origin of life. That being creation.
Religious trolls are the worst!!!

Back