Ariel: "I dont want to see shogun fight the upper echelon at lhw"

I dont know how i feel about this one.

On one hand i understand why ariel is saying this. But on the other, what do you do with him if he keeps winning?

There is not much "upper echelon" at lhw. Shogun is legit Top10 to Top15 at the moment and that is saying something about the quality of the division as he is a ghost of his former self.

My guess. As talented as he is and with a good day he can still beat Top10 fighters but he should not try anymore. I would not count him out even against Manuwa.

He aged very fast in the last 2 years and really should call it quits healthwise. He has had enough wars and punishment for a lifetime. Keep some brain for the second half of your life.

Actually he's looked pretty impressive. Wasn't lil nog number 7 when he beat him? His takedowns looked good in the lil nog fight. And we've seen lil nog stuff takedowns from Phil Davis and rashad. Impressive. Also Shoguns takedown defense looks good. Stuffed shots from Corey Anderson who has good chain wrestling.

Sorry pal.. but you have zero clue what you're talking about and clearly no squat about striking, you're just coming off as a hater. Shogun actually looked very good vs Gian.....his offense was on point landing more than 50% of his strikes, he nearly doubled Gian in strikes landed and his defense was solid, Gian only landed about a 1/3 of his strikes. He mixed up his offense very well with his boxing and kicks, he threw a nice variety of punches, jabs, power punches and body shots. What was just as impressive was how Shogun fought smart and patient, rather then hunting for the KO with power punches, he set it up and took his time...he was strategic.

Winging haymakers??? Those were actually well timed overhand rights that landed nearly every time and hurt GIan on multiple occasions. . Gian was throwing his left hook and jab without moving his head and taking it of the center line. Shogun was throwing that overhand right to counter the left hook and jab and it landed over and over. Further, Shogun used his jab well in that fight....he used it to set up the overhand right either as a combo or feinted it. What ended it was a nice counter left hook and combos.....did you not see the body work that hurt Gian that led to the finish??
The fact that you post like a long winded nut hugger doesn't mean you know anything. I don't hate shogun at all I just think he looked old, slow and took way too many shots.

I can see you love pride but it isn't 2005.

Shogun vs Manuwa
Shogun vs Teixera
I am not opposed to Shogun vs OSP or vs Gus again....Those are the best fights for him imo

That's not anything to be proud of.

So were all suppose to be disappointed?? He fought a ranked guy, put in a strong training camp and won by TKO with a overall good performance. Of course thats something to be proud of.

Last edited:
The fact that you post like a long w inded nut hugger doesn't mean you know anything. I don't hate shogun at all I just think he looked old, slow and took way too many shots.

I can see you love pride but it isn't 2005.

Older and slower no question, what do you expect? The guy is 35 and over his physical prime...I am talking performance here. You questioned his tactics and striking in the fight, I thought I'd give you a little explanation on what he did. You dont have to resort to BS "nuthuger" comments...I gave you a break down of his striking approach and ya I do know a little something. Just admit you didnt know and thats it. And of course he's gonna get hit......its a 3 round striking match, what do you expect?? The fact he absorbed less than 1/3 of the strikes his opponent threw is pretty good.

He was LHW champ in 2011 btw, has nothing to do with Pride.

Those two wars with Hendo took years off his career, I feel. And he didn't have a whole lot to give at that point either. He just doesn't have the same durability he had in his prime. He could take a punch and just keep coming at you. Get knocked down, jump back up. Now he's getting worn down, while the top LHW's keep getting bigger and stronger.

But, well, he's a career fighter. He's gonna go for it, regardless.

So were all suppose to be disappointed?? He fought a ranked guy, put in a strong training camp and won by TKO with a overall good performance. Of course thats something to be proud of.

It was a shit performance.

Older and slower no question, what do you expect? The guy is 35 and over his physical prime...I am talking performance here. You questioned his tactics and striking in the fight, I thought I'd give you a little explanation on what he did. You dont have to resort to BS "nuthuger" comments...I gave you a break down of his striking approach and ya I do know a little something. Just admit you didnt know and thats it. And of course he's gonna get hit......its a 3 round striking match, what do you expect?? The fact he absorbed less than 1/3 of the strikes his opponent threw is pretty good.

He was LHW champ in 2011 btw, has nothing to do with Pride.
Almost like he shouldn't be fighting the upper echelon at lhw

Almost like he shouldn't be fighting the upper echelon at lhw

Who the F##k are you to tell anyone who they should and should not be fighting and where they are taking their careers?

It was a shit performance.

I think your standards may be a bit high buddy. Shogun won every round clearly, performed well and Tkod the guy, I dont know in what world thats a shit performance.. It was overall a pretty solid performance, he fought well.....wasnt great and open to criticism but certainly not shit.

Last edited:
I think your standards may be a bit high buddy. Shogun won every round clearly, performed well and Tkod the guy, I dont know in what world thats a shit performance.. It was overall a pretty solid performance, he fought well.....wasnt great and open to criticism but certainly not shit.

He looked slow and sloppy. Beating a nobody doesn't mean he looked good.

Who the F##k are you to tell anyone who they should and should not be fighting and where they are taking their careers?
You want this Dude's nuts bad buddeh. Welcome to sherdog... the place where people can call a shit performance... SHIT.

You want this Dude's nuts bad buddeh. Welcome to sherdog... the place where people can call a shit performance... SHIT.

Dont have to tell me to welcome to this site, i've been on here a while and seen every idiot and moron talking shit and using the usual sherdog slang. You fit the profile right on, cant come up with a decent argument or back anything up you say so you resort to insults. Whatever, call it what you want, leave it at that.

Last edited:
He looked slow and sloppy. Beating a nobody doesn't mean he looked good.

Sure it does! When you asses a fight like that you have to talk about the good and the bad. The difference between you and I is that I can recognize the good and the bad. I can certainly look at that fight and say Shoguns speed and movement is not what is use to be and you can tell that he looks like a fighter with his age and wear. But you also have to recognize the good in that fight and how well he fought, which i've already mentioned in prior posts so no point in going over that. And Gian is not a nobody, you guys have to recognize that in any combat sport whether boxing or mma there is a small group of top talent and the rest are intermediate level fighters who are have average records. Even though he's not able to beat any top fighters he's still a ranked UFC fighter performing at the highest level of mma and a win over him counts for something. Shogun is fighting the right guys at the moment to get to where he wants to get to.

Dont have to tell me to welcome to this site, i've been on here a while and seen every idiot and moron talking shit and using the usual sherdog slang. You fit the profile right on, cant come up with a decent argument or back anything up you say so you resort to insults. Whatever, call it what you want, leave it at that.
With 53,000 posts I guarantee you spew more shit than anyone on here.

His performance was shit... get over it.

I just hope he retires after his next loss. He probably get Manuwa now. Really hoping he doesn't get knocked out before he retires.

Totally agree with Ariel, but if Shogun wants to fight he should fight.

Back