Ariel Helwani Joins ESPN, Leaves MMA Fighting company. Will also have new ESPN+ show with Chael

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Sterling, May 17, 2018.

1. Sterling

Sterling Orange Belt

journalist and host Ariel Helwani will join ESPN in June to cover the MMA world. Helwani will have several roles at ESPN, including: co-host of “Ariel & The Bad Guy,” a new weekly MMA program on ESPN+; host of ongoing podcast “Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show” and reporter for MMA across ESPN digital media and television platforms.

Helwani joins ESPN from SB Nation’s MMAFighting.com. He has been covering MMA professionally since 2006, is a six-time winner of “MMA Journalist of the Year” at the World MMA Awards and a previous contributor to MMA coverage for Fox Sports and Sirius XM Radio. Born in Montreal, Canada, he is a graduate of Syracuse University's S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Helwani said, “For as long as I can remember, my dream has been to work at ESPN. I know the term ‘dream come true’ is often overused, but this is truly that for me. Growing up in Montreal we didn’t get ESPN, but any time my family would travel down south I would stay in our hotel room as long as possible watching the morning SportsCenter on loop. I’ve loved all things ESPN since I was a kid, and in all honesty, it still feels a bit surreal that I am joining the gold standard in sports media. I couldn’t be more excited to get started and am extremely thankful for the opportunity.”

“Ariel and The Bad Guy” will team Helwani with professional fighter and ESPN MMA analyst, Chael Sonnen, for a fast-paced 30-minute weekly breakdown of the top stories, developments and upcoming fights. New episodes will be available on ESPN+ each Wednesday, beginning June 20, and there will be special episodes before and after major mixed martial arts events.

Rob King, ESPN’s Senior Vice President of Original Content, Newsgathering & Digital Media, said: “Ariel is a dynamic and talented insider, whose insights and acumen will expand and enhance our multimedia coverage of the mixed martial arts world. Pairing Ariel and Chael, the insider and the fighter, on ESPN+ is going to make for an energetic and engaging show that will be must-see for any MMA fan.”

On teaming with Helwani for their new show, Chael Sonnen said: “I’m pumped. Fans are going to love the show Ariel and I are doing. And like they say… You can’t spell MMA on ESPN without C-H-A-E-L! Ummmmm… Wait a sec….”

Nezahualcoyotl, DLX, Zodd and 28 others like this.
  2. sirmorbach

sirmorbach These violent delights have violent ends

Is he ready to be mesmerised by greatness though?

3. STARSCREAM

STARSCREAM Brown Belt

I look forward to the day it's canceled or they're replaced.

4. KingBeef

KingBeef Brown Belt

5. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good Yellow Card

@FrankieNYC where you at?

The goof has nothing on the mermaid, NOTHING

[​IMG]

6. CountOfSoCal

CountOfSoCal Black Belt

I still fail to see the appeal of the ESPN+

You launch a service that seems to barely be in its beta, and further alienate your fan base by giving them yet another platform, a seemingly inferior one at that, to watch your product on.

7. ortizgnp

ortizgnp Original Vince Belt

You seem like a lot of fun.

8. U O E N O

U O E N O <<<<<<FIRE THIS MAN!

So I will officially not be purchasing BSPN+ now

9. LUDELOW

LUDELOW Brown Belt

nice dream

10. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

[​IMG]

11. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

Sounds like it could be good actually

XamcX, DLX, HaulParris and 18 others like this.
  12. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good Yellow Card

Dana will be forced to do sit down interviews with Ariel per the new ESPN deal

[​IMG]

13. BigDramaShow26

BigDramaShow26 Green Belt

ESPN+ is actually coming out with enough content that I dont mind paying the 5 dollars a month.

Devilton, juanM3, CBohl and 3 others like this.
  14. mb23100

mb23100 Silver Belt

Meh. Helwani is annoying and Chael will get the Star Wars treatment from Disney and have to tone it down to the point of boredom because his schtick will be gone

15. Chules

Chules UVEE'S BESTIE

16. skylolow

skylolow Silver Belt

Man you guys are hard on Ariel.............he has done a pretty good job navigating through the shit storm the MMA world puts up. I don't wish anyone the job of these MMA journalist. You have to beat around the bush on everything cause everybody seems to have the most fragile egos in the world and that is both on the corporate side an the fighters side. One false step and they just flip out and you can't do your job anymore.

I think Chael and Ariel will be pretty interesting to watch.

17. Verace

Verace Red Belt

Shilling back once again

18. nanika

nanika Brown Belt

ariel will be giving chael around five blank stares an episode.

also i think chael needs to modernize his whole schtick. referring to himself as undefeated is just lame.

Roljo, CieloLuce, MMA SCOUT and 3 others like this.
  19. Aforo88

Aforo88 Purple Belt

Something really rubbed me the wrong way with AH when he was working for FOX. Hes whole mma persona became tainted by hes close relationship to FOX and the UFC. Hope he can stay true to himself this time around.

20. DRMZ

DRMZ Green Belt

Good for Ariel.

He has put in the leg work and deserves a decent pay bump and reward for his efforts.

Must be truly great to work doing something you genuinely have a love and passion for.

I would love to cover MMA for a living, I would look forward to waking up in the mornings.