Ariel Helwani isnt a real fan

He isn't going to be even less of a journalist going over to ESPN.

Aren't they also broadcasting g UFC in the future?

Dana owns him now.

He's a wwe fan forced to cover MMA because he's good at it.

That's why he's a weasel intisgator. That's why he loves drama more than the actual fight.

He probably enjoys conor throwing shit at a bus rather than conor throwing a punch in a fight

He was interviewing guys like Dan Severn for his college papers in 01 when most of you were still picking your nose in PE class

TS pretty much nailed. The guy is supposedly the best MMA Journalist around but he won't talk about the actual fights.
What a farce. Talk about privilege

giphy.gif
I'm sorry, I take it back

I forget myself
Carry on

He's one of those fans that eventually came around to liking MMA, but still secretly loves pro wrestling 10000x more...because he's a fucking tool.

Exactly. He is a Hulk Hogan fan.

hes a legit journalist that has a degree. this is his job and how he pays the bills. most of the fighters like him

No to be a legit journalist you must have integrity. Getting paid by the subject you cover shows he doesn’t have an ounce of journalistic integrity.

I dont think Helwani is a real mma fan. I think he saw an opportunity to get in early and make it as a reporter and he took his chance. He knew MMA had no reporters and he saw the opportunity to make a name for himself.

How can a guy who despises violence so much actually like MMA? I dont think he does. He doesnt break down fights or ever talk about technique. Hes more concerned with creating fake beef on his radio show and making connections.

I feel like he covers the sport, trying to convince himself hes a fan, but hes not.

He might like his job, the people he meets, his lifestyle etc. I dont think he really enjoys watching fights though.

He would quit mma in a second if he was offered an nba or mlb position.
He faked it until he made it. Hes not a real fan like us. Hes done a lot for the sport but it was all for self gain.

What do you think?

This is the vibe I get from the guy and have said similar. Your instincts on Helwani are absolutely correct IMO.

He's one of those fans that eventually came around to liking MMA, but still secretly loves pro wrestling 10000x more...because he's a fucking tool.

I bet when Ariel watches a real rough and vicious MMA bout he has to imagine the WWE and say to himself "remember the violence is fake, remember the violence is fake" over and over in order to get through it and not be emotionally overwhelmed.

I dont think Helwani is a real mma fan. I think he saw an opportunity to get in early and make it as a reporter and he took his chance. He knew MMA had no reporters and he saw the opportunity to make a name for himself.

How can a guy who despises violence so much actually like MMA? I dont think he does. He doesnt break down fights or ever talk about technique. Hes more concerned with creating fake beef on his radio show and making connections.

I feel like he covers the sport, trying to convince himself hes a fan, but hes not.

He might like his job, the people he meets, his lifestyle etc. I dont think he really enjoys watching fights though.

He faked it until he made it. Hes not a real fan like us. Hes done a lot for the sport but it was all for self gain.

What do you think?

Sound like the story of dana being a good promoter LOL

What do you think?

Sounds about right to me.

What do you think?
He has more reverence for WWE and Basketball. He kinda let it slip in his latest podcast that his dream job would be to cover the NBA. His heart aint in MMA which is why he only cares about the "characters" and drama. Never talks about the sport, skills, technique.

If you look at his Twitter he's more concerned with baseball and NBA and stuff like that and I totally agree the only thing he's concerned with doing is being an instigator and saying "well, he said this about you" vise versa so yeah, I think he's not a true fan and got in at the right time as far as his job goes.

Even if he doesn't talk a lot about the techniques, he seems to have a proper understanding of what makes people better than other. If you just watch the interviews, you will only see a guy who helps fighters to promote themselves and their fights. But if you watch the entire show he does seem to heavily follow the MMA scene.

Not gonna lie; as soon as a non-mma message board accepts me I'm gone too.

It does seem like the need for work was his driving force before he started enjoying the sport, but I think based off the last decade of reporting, the sport has grown on him and he's become a fan.

Back