Ariel Helwani isnt a real fan

He just paid a lot of money to visit the last Lomachenko fight in his private time. Has nothing to do with his job (since he doesn't do any boxing journalism), yet he spent money and time for it.

He also seems genuinely excited about lots of combat sports events, even small ones. I don't see why we shouldn't believe that he likes MMA/combat sports, especially since he seems like a big sports fan in general.

Helwani is a phony, nobody denies this except himself.

They tend to get their faces bashed in in nearly every fight so I can imagine why they 'hate' it. Also they only want to fight guys who fall into their traps and fight their fights, otherwise they whine and take their ball to go home.

You make good points

hes a legit journalist that has a degree. this is his job and how he pays the bills. most of the fighters like him

Exactly. His job isn't to be a "real fan". He admires the sport, that's not up for debate. Is it ihis favorite sport? Likely not.

So what? He does his job. He's not supposed to be a technical analyst.

At least I wont have to listen to NY Rick anymore

nah.

you don't slum it for as long as Helwani did, with no realistic indication that he would eventually get to where he is now, by having no love for the sport you are covering.

this isn't some pro sport where someone with some talent and physical attributes can get to the big leagues, but where we quickly see they give one fuck about the game and is there for the money. there was no obvious 'prize' for Helwani when he started out.

would he leave for a NBA job? sure...he's a huge bball fan too...but that has no bearing on whether he is a 'real' fan of MMA or not, IMHO.

Of course he saw an opening.

Eventually I think you can become a fan but yea not sure if he really is into it that much more of a job and hey doing it so much you start to get some interest.

If he wasn't 'reporting' on it I'm not sure that he would have watched it.

It's whatever, don't need him to like it.

I dont think Helwani is a real mma fan. I think he saw an opportunity to get in early and make it as a reporter and he took his chance. He knew MMA had no reporters and he saw the opportunity to make a name for himself.

How can a guy who despises violence so much actually like MMA? I dont think he does. He doesnt break down fights or ever talk about technique. Hes more concerned with creating fake beef on his radio show and making connections.

I feel like he covers the sport, trying to convince himself hes a fan, but hes not.

He might like his job, the people he meets, his lifestyle etc. I dont think he really enjoys watching fights though.

He would quit mma in a second if he was offered an nba or mlb position.
He faked it until he made it. Hes not a real fan like us. Hes done a lot for the sport but it was all for self gain.

What do you think?
was Howard Cosell not a fan of boxing?

He just paid a lot of money to visit the last Lomachenko fight in his private time. Has nothing to do with his job (since he doesn't do any boxing journalism), yet he spent money and time for it.

He also seems genuinely excited about lots of combat sports events, even small ones. I don't see why we shouldn't believe that he likes MMA/combat sports, especially since he seems like a big sports fan in general.

When you choose to cover the sport then you have to take notice of all the smaller orgs. He knows how to get the interviews and fighters genuinely seem like they love or need to go on the MMA hour.

He not much of a journalist either. Basically a TMZ reporter that found his niche in MMA.

Yeah, no doubt the majority of sherdoggers whose only contact with mma is posting on sherdog and watching YouTube videos are much bigger fans of the sport than one of the pioneers of modern day mma journalism.

A Helwani thread with tons of jealous haters? I am shocked.

He's the best in the business. Breaks all the stories, gets all the interviews, has all the sources. Sure, maybe he's not a fan in the "just bleed" way or even in the intricacies of martial arts techniques way - he is more interested in the stories, personalities, and business side of things. So what? He is allowed to enjoy the sport for different reasons, and I find his take on things WAY more interesting then the typical just bleed shertard.

Ariel isn't a real fan of fighting and violence, never was and never will.

He is however a real man of popcorn. He loves personalities, drama and story lines. That shit is in his blood. That's what makes him one of the best interviewers and instigators in the business, that's why WWE was his first and one true love. He took up MMA because there was plenty to offer in the drama and personality departments compared to mainstream sports where athletes are buttoned up and off-limits.

Y'all remember that spring break trip you said yes to, not because you give 2 shit about South Padre Island, but because your secret crush is also going and you just want to hang out with her as much as you can? That's Ariel. He just went along with the MMA ride for his secret crush, Miss. drama and popcorn.
Lol I bet you dont even like popcorn poser

lol dumb thread. Why would u even expect him to explain strategies or techniques? Hes a reporter...

Lol I bet you dont even like popcorn poser

giphy.gif

A Helwani thread with tons of jealous haters? I am shocked.

He's the best in the business. Breaks all the stories, gets all the interviews, has all the sources. Sure, maybe he's not a fan in the "just bleed" way or even in the intricacies of martial arts techniques way - he is more interested in the stories, personalities, and business side of things. So what? He is allowed to enjoy the sport for different reasons, and I find his take on things WAY more interesting then the typical just bleed shertard.
Also, this. People watch things for different reasons. Who cares if he watches a fight because of personalities and storylines rather than the reasons you do? Genuinely I'm asking, who cares?

Back