Ariel Helwani declares Mario Yamasaki unfit to be a referee.

You mean Ariel does what sherdoggers do? We're definitely more fit to decide.

Well, since everyone on sherdog is a fighter and multiple weight champions in their own regional organizations yes.

Coming from a glorified gossip journo masquerading as sports journalist he really has no room to talk.

niIil5M.gif
ZOwvJze.gif

Yamasaki deserves to get his ass kicked for always making that stupid heart sign with hands when they introduce him , let alone for his straight up dangerous officiating

Ariel is clearly unfit to be a journalist so he should really keep his mouth shut.

This shit's getting way out of proportion. Blame pricilla's corner, girl had a torn acl and they didn't give a fuck. You know what's a terrible stoppage? Weidman vs munoz, khabib vs tavares. This one isn't.

Dude. Ariel's not wrong.

Yamasaki's excuse made the situation 10x worse.

No excuse for a ref to let a fighter take tons of unnecessary damage. Its his job to do the opposite.

He should've apologized and acknowledged his mistake.

But he doubled down and tried to make his dereliction in duty sound noble?! Ridiculous.

Either he is incompetent, corrupt or both, but if he HONESTLY believes that fight shouldn't have been stopped sooner, he really does have no business reffing anymore.

This is becoming a trend in reffing that im beginning to despise. But I also despise the corners, just standing there watching their fighter get completely destroyed with no chance of winning, but letting it continue for another 5-10 minutes to show how 'tough' their fighter is.....assholes.....all of 'em....

I couldn't agree more. I understand the fighters wanting it to be toughman to the death contest, but the referees should see past the moment and stop the fight if one fighter is outmatched. It's really not more complicated than that.

I must be a horrible person - I was happy for it to go long. Fights get stopped after a flurry these days.

Helwani would cry if someone said that about him.

idk if ariel nose what he is saying!

Ariel can't see a bandwagon without jumping on board

There have been way worse lopsided beatdowns than this in WMMA (PVZ v.s. Rose, Cyborg v.s. Akano, Waterson v.s. Tamada). Why is this one any different? I think because it's Yamasaki, people are making a bigger stink over this. I bet you if it were Herb Dean, this would've died down by now.

Sorry Ariel but when you chose to take a paycheck from the UFC while you were supposedly unbiased and unaffiliated, you became unfit to be a journalist!
While I disagree with Ariel here, your reasoning is completely bullshit.
It doesn't make sense to say that someone who worked in some industry say oil and gas, automobile manufacturing or showbusiness like pro wrestling are somehow suddenly unfit to work as a journalist reporting on those same sectors.

And Ariel didn't work for the UFC, he worked for Fox. All major league sports have the same arrangement with network tv stations that air pre/post show segments.

Michael Jordan is the NBA goat, but sucks at owning a team. Mario could be a red belt and still suck as a referee. I rarely agree with Ariel, but he is right. If your objective as a referee is to protect the “warrior’s spirit” before the warrior’s actual health, then you’re wrong.

Back