Ariel Helwani already stepping out of the MMA game as predicted

Right? I'd rather play the damn game myself.
I also don't even like the Fortnite and Dota games they usually play on those streams. And I'm supposed to pay for the "privilege" of watching them play this shit?

<36>

A lot of bitter bums in this thread who are so insecure about themselves. LOL

Use twitch to watch any new games and see if they look decent, that's all you should be using twitch for

The thing I find most odd is the logic that, no matter how objectively silly or absurd a thing is, if enough people enjoy it it cannot be absurd.

Whether or not it is silly and whether people like it are two seperate things entirely. People like lots of silly things, but it takes a strange kind of modern doublethink to convince yourself that people's enjoyment of a thing negates any inherent absurdity
But the definition of absurdity here is just your definition.

Watching a golfer golf on TV is not absurd even though I can go play golf, but watching a video gamer play video games is because I can go play video games. Maybe I am missing some of the logical order here, but it seems there is an inconsistency.

But the definition of absurdity here is just your definition.

Watching a golfer golf on TV is not absurd even though I can go play golf, but watching a video gamer play video games is because I can go play video games. Maybe I am missing some of the logical order here, but it seems there is an inconsistency.

So essentially you believe everything is relativistic and nothing is objectively absurd?

From my perspective, I think that things can be inherently, objectively absurd due to contradictions in the internal logic of the thing

So essentially you believe everything is relativistic and nothing is objectively absurd?
Hmm, never looked at it that way. Haven't really fleshed this out though. It seems you need some anchor or mean to work off of to figure out if something has even crossed the threshold of weird, much less the deeper threshold of absurd.

I don't know, if that is my thought process, where does it place me on that spectrum you talked about. This conversation is moving me into an intellectual realm I wasn't ready for and am not sure I want to enter for a Tuesday. But I do appreciate the dialogue.

From my perspective, I think that things can be inherently, objectively absurd due to contradictions in the internal logic of the thing

Sorry I think you added this after I quoted. This makes sense, but I come back to my golf example. What is the contradiction of internal logic in watching someone play a video game vs. watching someone play a game of golf, when both can be done by the viewer just maybe not to the same ability?

When i was a kid everyone would hang round arcades. And you can bet there was always a crowd around the one guy playing a certain game that he was really good at..

The guy who was great at space invaders, would have people crowding round him watching him play.

now, adults crowd around to watch someone in the pub playing a fruit machine..

its human nature to watch people doing stuff.

its no different.
I think it is different. At the arcade, there might have been only one Space Invaders game, for example. Or at the very least, you could come by later and try to beat their high score.

Watching someone play Fortnite doesn't offer the same things. There's no connection between the streamer and their audience, it's entirely a 1-way thing. You can't hop on after and test yourself against their score or have any real interaction with them.

I think it is different. At the arcade, there might have been only one Space Invaders game, for example. Or at the very least, you could come by later and try to beat their high score.

Watching someone play Fortnite doesn't offer the same things. There's no connection between the streamer and their audience, it's entirely a 1-way thing. You can't hop on after and test yourself against their score or have any real interaction with them.
Wouldn't you consider watching sports on tv just as 1-way?

Not sure if you had an older brother but when i was a kid i loved watching the older bro play games. Clearly much better than i at the time. Maybe these kids feel the same way
If you look at some random person online the way you look at your brother, your family life must be terrible.

There's a massive difference here.

Yeah! How dare he!

Wouldn't you consider watching sports on tv just as 1-way?
It sure is.

The difference is that watching sports, you're watching actual athletes that actually train and compete in physical sports. Watching some random guy sit in a chair and hit keys really well doesn't really have the intrigue.

Hmm, never looked at it that way. Haven't really fleshed this out though. It seems you need some anchor or mean to work off of to figure out if something has even crossed the threshold of weird, much less the deeper threshold of absurd.

I don't know, if that is my thought process, where does it place me on that spectrum you talked about. This conversation is moving me into an intellectual realm I wasn't ready for and am not sure I want to enter for a Tuesday. But I do appreciate the dialogue.

Yeah lol, I've had to reexamine some preconceptions while writing these... it's been more tiring than intended

It isn't that different than watching sports but feels somehow sillier in some way that I can't really articulate well

I like games, in fact I've probably played more games over my life than a lot of streamers. I like watching youtube videos. I like podcasts where people just joke around. But somehow combine them and it doesn't make sense to me on some level. I am still processing it.

It sure is.

The difference is that watching sports, you're watching actual athletes that actually train and compete in physical sports. Watching some random guy sit in a chair and hit keys really well doesn't really have the intrigue.
Not for you or me, but for others it has more intrigue. And as much as we don't enjoy them, I find it hard to believe these guys, who are really good at these games, don't train.

I like some games, but I'm never going to watch someone else play a game. I don't understand how that's a thing

I like some sports, but I'm never going to watch someone else play a sport. I don't understand how that's a thing.

Yeah lol, I've had to reexamine some preconceptions while writing these

It isn't that different than watching sports but feels somehow sillier in some way that I can't really articulate well

I like games, in fact I've probably played more games over my life than a lot of streamers. I like watching youtube videos. I like podcasts where people just joke around. But somehow combine them and it doesn't make sense to me on some level. I am still processing it.
I like all those things too and I find myself in the same place as you in terms of mixing those things. But I feel like I might be further along in processing it. I get why people like it and know it's not for me. Good talk

I find it hard to believe these guys, who are really good at these games, don't train.
Again - moving a mouse and hitting keys really isn't the pinnacle of anything. Watching a MMA fight between two people who actually train and work hard and actually have something on the line is orders of magnitude more intriguing.

It’s literally the same thing lol. You’re just old and bitter.
No, you literally just changed my words around and didn't bother countering any of what I've said.

Again, try harder

Back