Are you living up to your potential?

Well that's a tricky question, because it isn't just a matter of potential. It's how much adversity you have in your way, how you deal with that, and how it effects you in the long term. Id say no.

Oh and TS way pros and cons and statistical probabilities by all means, but don't ever tell yourself you aren't smart enough to achieve your goals. I did that for many years and it's a trap. Everyone that makes it isn't some genius. There aren't many geniuses out there. The people that make it are just willing to work hard. Make sure you have some basic aptitude for what you want to do, but that's about it.

I'm a pretty big underachiever.

used to be a straight A student but then I discovered drugs and quickly ran out of fucks to give. smoked weed daily and was partying for days, even on weekdays.
still managed to get to college somehow but dropped out after 2 years.
got a job with decent pay now, enough to cover my bills and put a little bit on the side, but could've done much more. just can't find the motivation to change something

no, but that was my choice, was told by an ex I had ''zero ambition'' ,she probably wasn't wrong either, in recent years, I have intentionally become downwardly mobile.

No, and I think 99% of humans aren't.

Now I think I'm ahead of the curve... I have a Master's, I travel whenever I get the chance, I know Martial Arts, I do different hobbies.

Most people, in my experience, are complacent and don't care to learn new skills or see the world.

With all that said, what I've done is not nearly as proportional to how much potential I have. I've been on the grind as of late. Unless you work hard as hell and are creating projects/building things, you aren't recognizing your potential.

Honestly, no matter how much success you have, you always want more. At least this is how I always feel, whenever I reach my goal I'm already looking at the next thing and don't dwell on celebrating the current accomplishment.

TS, you're definitely not too old to go back to school. Image being 50 and still doing your current job that you don't enjoy.

My potential to cause problems is confirmed

My message to like ratio says it all

<{silvanormal}>

<34>

I'm definitely not getting everything I could out of life, let alone everything I wanted. But my life isn't just about me anymore, I have three kids and a wife.

Keeping them happy and safe is more important to me than rising to my rightful place as king and ruler of the realm.

Nope not at all. I am a homeowner, have a car, made a very profitable investment a few years ago and am able to save money but came nowhere near reaching my potential. I'm lazy though. I'm still doing better than minimum 80% of the global population though so it doesn't bother me. Much.

You are either extremely poor or extremely stupid. Someone who makes $40,000 per year would be in the top 1% of income earners in the world.

A minimum wage earner in the US is in the top 20% of global income earners.

Thank you very much for the replies. I thought about it today and a little light went off and I remembered my girlfriend telling me there are free bachelor degree programs offered at the local community college in our town, so I looked up what they offer and some really interested me in particular Geology...job outlook is great especially in my state (Colorado). Average salary of $80K with potential for more with masters degree.

I’m thinking I’ll go down and talk to a counselor there tomorrow. I believe my problem is simply that I’m not being challenged enough, that’s why I’m not feeling up to my potential. I need challenges to push me and help me grow.

Cheers I’m going down there tomorrow

You are either extremely poor or extremely stupid. Someone who makes $40,000 per year would be in the top 1% of income earners in the world.
I don't pay attention to the average global wage as it isn't really important to me. So I'm in the top 1%, yay me.

Couldn’t even finish the OP.

First world problems.

im actually exceeding all expectations placed on a dimwit like myself

Trying to reach my potential? I can only get to pot- and then that's enough for me

None of it matters, throw off the shackles of competition.

i'm probably not living up to my potential in other people's eyes, but i don't give a fuck what other people think.
I'm relatively satisfied with where i'm at, and that's all that counts.

"Am I living up to my potential?"

I'm posting on Sherdog forums as we speak, so I think we both know the answer to that question....

giphy.gif

You can try going back to school to pursue that career you always wanted, and still work your current job part time. IMO you are in a good position in life. If you don't have to take care of nobody, but yourself, just be happy you're free, that should be enough motivation for you.

hello. I am conflicted. 26 years old. Been practicing massage therapy professionally for 3 years. No college education. Earn about $50K before taxes, no debt. Feel pretty good about my situation but also feel like I could do a lot better career wise...

For example I think about going to college to become an environmental engineer or something fascinating like that with great projected job growth, employment opportunities, great $$.. could even join the military and go to school for free which would be awesome..

But then I think about how poor my academic performance was all throughout grade school and how difficult it was for me to get through my massage therapy school with so much emphasis on anatomy + physiology etc..

And I wonder what my realistic capabilities are... am I really intelligent enough to go to school to become an engineer or something to that degree? I wish I had pursued a legit career like that what I was just in high school as a teenager. Suppose it’s not too late still being in my mid 20’s.

What I am most scared of is talking myself out of pursuing something greater/more challenging and realizing I never lived up to my fullest potential, that scares the shit out of me. It also won’t be so easy to change careers when I am older.

I don’t really know what else to say. Maybe it’s just my Ego and that is the actual problem. I am at a crossroads in my life and feel that I could just be doing better. I want to be pushed and challenged so that I can become a greater version of myself. But Perhaps I am delusional and should know my place in life, should recognize this is already my place? I do not know guys.

* It's never too late to make a change or get better (easier early on, yes, but never too late). I got an MS at 40.

* There aren't enough fulfilling, challenging jobs for everyone to have one. Sometimes you get your challenges elsewhere. But having a rewarding job is certainly a real plus.

Maybe you should fully commit to something. Maybe you should do something new on the side until you develop enough confidence to go for it. Maybe you should limit your other interests to being hobbies.
No correct answer and something you need to sort out for yourself.

Back