Are you a fighter

I think what you're trying to get at is the intent. In a fight you're trying to hurt the other person while in grappling, yes, you want to win but not necessarily hurt the other person.

Kron Gracie just proved my point.

It's a bit disingenuous to use Kron as an example of why BJJ isn't fighting because when we look at the guy who beat him:

alhAucD.jpg

As a former wrestler and fighter I have my own criticisms of BJJ but let's not act like it's an ineffective martial art. There's a reason why every single gym teaches BJJ or at least how to defend against it.

It's a bit disingenuous to use Kron as an example of why BJJ isn't fighting because when we look at the guy who beat him:

alhAucD.jpg

As a former wrestler and fighter I have my own criticisms of BJJ but let's not act like it's an ineffective martial art. There's a reason why every single gym teaches BJJ or at least how to defend against it.

Everyone does bjj who does mma.
No it's not a diss to bjj.
Juyt "semantics" if pure bjj or pure wrestling is fighting or grappling.

Bjj works as well as anything.

The Kron bit was more of a choke.

All in all not too serious of a thread attempt.

Keon went in there an fought.

Last edited:
What a dumb thread lol. If brain damage is your litmus test for fighting then why are you playing pattycake with mittens on your hands when you could be doing American Football instead. Way more brain damage there.

(Though I suppose that also explains why it got made it in the first place.)

Last edited:
BJJ is a fighting style. The best and most influential singular fighting style ever created! I've been doing it for 22 years won the PanAms as a purple belt and know a few things about BJJ.

A BJJ match, wrestling match, judo match or sambo match are not fights.. In boxing they even refer to it as a "boxing match" although I consider boxers and kick boxers fighters!

If you compete and bjj and refer to yourself as a fighter, you're only a fighter until an MMA fighter joins the discussion. Then all of a sudden "you just compete in BJJ." That is not the case for boxers or kickboxers.

Call yourselves what you want but if you feel uncomfortable telling a UFC fighter or someone in Glory that you too are a fighter because you do bjj matches, than you're probably not really a fighter..

No. I'll have a conversation about it but really, there's more important stuff to think about than if I or other people consider me a fighter

Training is never fighting.
Any sports competition or sparring is not fighting.

Sportsmen are not fighters nor "warriors" by the definition of what a real fight is.

Warriors of our time are throwing grenades at trenches, shooting guns at the enemy, using ATGM to blow up tanks, driving tanks and piloting fighter jets.
The whole "WE ARE SAMURAIS WARRIARS" is mental masturbation, coping and sometimes cosplaying.

Then there's also people who fight in the street, self-defense or to attack someone; that IS fighting, and while it doesn't require any training, it sure does help to improve the odds.

I had my first amateur fight a few months ago at age 34 and won. But I don’t have a corner, being too old nobody wants to corner me, so it’ll be my only fight (I find it fun, know I’ll never be a champ this late in the game) unless I find some friends who like to do corner work. Not going to walk out here alone. Not that serious.

alhAucD.jpg

Jourdain is a Holanda guy. Interesting

Yes I grappled before. It's more exhausting then striking. However striking damages the brain. No way around it. In sparring everyone takes shots. Injuries in grappling are similar to soccer. They happen on accident.

I mean I bet there's a good percentage of grapplers who'd be shook if they took a good punch.

In a real fight the striking adds a huge dimension of fear and seriousness.

Bjj literary can be done by anyone. Striking can only done by people who can bare getting hit and damaged.

Bjj is a great sport and there's no mma without it.

I still think it's not fighting like when you can hit the guy / girl or get hit. Striking included voluntary damage. Grappling is super intense and effective, but Noone tries to hurt the partner, as should be.

How tf you gonna be using that striking game when you're on your back getting de-limbed or choked unconscious. Pure striker vs pure grappler, grappler wins every time. Big difference in intensity for training as well. Throwing bodies around all day long builds uncomparable strength and mental toughness.

How tf you gonna be using that striking game when you're on your back getting de-limbed or choked unconscious. Pure striker vs pure grappler, grappler wins every time. Big difference in intensity for training as well. Throwing bodies around all day long builds uncomparable strength and mental toughness.

One sprawl and knees to the back of the head, you act like any guy or girl who ever walked into a bjj class is Gordon Ryan and can win vs anyone in a street fight. At least I know how to take a punch. They don't teach you that in bjj.

One sprawl and knees to the back of the head, you act like any guy or girl who ever walked into a bjj class is Gordon Ryan and can win vs anyone in a street fight. At least I know how to take a punch. They don't teach you that in bjj.
what pure striking art teaches sprawls?

Yes I grappled before. It's more exhausting then striking. However striking damages the brain. No way around it. In sparring everyone takes shots. Injuries in grappling are similar to soccer. They happen on accident.

I mean I bet there's a good percentage of grapplers who'd be shook if they took a good punch.

In a real fight the striking adds a huge dimension of fear and seriousness.

Bjj literary can be done by anyone. Striking can only done by people who can bare getting hit and damaged.

Bjj is a great sport and there's no mma without it.

I still think it's not fighting like when you can hit the guy / girl or get hit. Striking included voluntary damage. Grappling is super intense and effective, but Noone tries to hurt the partner, as should be.

You must have watched bjj "fights" on youtube to be yawning. Amateur striking competitions draw more attendance then your black belt shows.
I think ibjjf and college wrestling gets more views than aiba and Olympic boxing

I think ibjjf and college wrestling gets more views than aiba and Olympic boxing

What's aiba and Olympic boxing is out of context. It's like saying bjj gets more views then mma then comparing bjj to Final Fight championships.

Like from what I remember bjj gets barely any views.

It's all cool, not a hater. Bjj is a great sport. It's amazing.

I trained bjj before, I know how to do a guillotine, rnc, Kimura, triangle from mount. My triangle from guard sucks and so does my armbar but I still can do them. Actually my Kimura sucks too.
I think my rnc and guillotine are OK from a noob. My triangle from mount is surely OK too.
Forearm choke anyone ? That actually worked once in training, lol, just choke someone out brutally directly like Randleman.

I would know how to do leg locks but as a beginner obviously that's taboo. Easy snapping.

I wanna train some jiujitsu again. It was satisfying getting subs.

You got a clear winner in training, unlike boxing kickboxing. And I love winning in sports

Actually I also got a north south choke and know how to apply a key lock or that let's call it reversed kimuar. Though nobody ever does it in mma so it's gotta be really easy to defend.

I suck at arm triangle totally.

What else we got. Neck crank. Torture him trough his spine. Yeah easy to defend too. Though Glover messed up Jan with it.

It's an effective fun sport. All mma Fans should be bjj Fans too.

I once landed a guillotine on a blue belt. Though not sure if he should've been the class above, purple ? Cause he trained for like 5 years. Just his master was brazilian so I guess he didn't see him frequently to get promoted.

I think I'm talented for bjj just a noob cause I barely trained it.

Back