Are you a coward if you commit suicide?

Are you a coward if you commit suicide?

• Total voters
The only time I have real difficulty with suicide is when a parent does it. I feel like you lose your right to righteously end your own life when you have people depending on you. I realize though that depression doesn't work that way.

To me, there are two types of suicides. There's the rational and planned act of a person in a lucid state of mind who has weighed the pros and cons before deciding that it's not worth it to go on living. That person can be judged on the morality of their decision. Then there's the person who is so affected by mental illness that they are fully victim to it and incapable of evaluating their options in any meaningful way. That person needs help and a suicide in that situation is tragic. I'm generalizing quite a bit but most suicidal people can realistically be put in one of those two camps. The first group don't get to check out early if they have kids and to me, it does become selfish at that point. The second group are victims, nothing more.

Like most things, it's not a black and white issue. It depends on the person and their circumstances. On its face though, there's nothing inherently cowardly or selfish about it.

Apparently sherdoggers arent cowards compared to athletes millionaires and war veterans

<{cruzshake}>

The real cowards and selfish people are those who want their loved ones to go on living in unendurable agony simply to spare them the pain of the loss.

If that's your attitude, don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. You don't give a shit about the person who's suffering.

It is taking an easy way out. It's like taking your ball and going home in the middle of a game.

You have issues? Work them out. Nothing could be that bad.

It's the most selfish thing you can do when you have people that care about you.

If you get that far down, reach out to someone. What do you have to lose if you're gonna kill yourself any way.

Really? How do you know that?

Depression is difficult to deal with. Therapy and medication doesn't always work. A depressed person is not the same as a rational person who can think logically and fix or endure their problems. And it's not always the same in everyone. If they can't think anymore, and all they see and feel is misery, how do you expect them to make a rational decision or think about the consequences?

Instead of insulting these people or marginalizing their problems, maybe you could emphasize with them for being in so much agony that death is the only way out.

I don't think coward is the word for it. It is something though, especially when these big money people do it, there are people out there who have it far worse, living a miserable life, no luxury whatsoever in their lives like these rock stars, no money to go get teeth fixed when they hurt, no money to go to the doctor or get surgery to fix things that hurt, living in a shit hole with no money or nobody to help you or bail you out, people live like this but yet they keep grinding. It's hard for me to feel bad for some rich spoiled brat rock star that kills himself and leaves behind a bunch of kids to deal with all of it for the rest of their lives. That's the shitty part of it, maybe not a coward, but really really shitty. No coincidence that their music was this whole gay crying feeling sorry for yourself shit.

I think you're a coward if you have people in your life that count on you.

If you're a parent you need to grin and bare it while you slowly die on the inside.

It depends.

If you do it because you are looking for the ultimate escape of responsibility because you can no longer bear or face them, then yea you are a coward.
If you do it because otherwise a lot more people will die or some crazy circumstances, then you are incredibly brave. (ex: If you are a soldier captured during a war carrying vital intelligence)

regardless of the reasons for it, knowingly and willingly deciding to erase yourself is a brave thing.

Those are fighting words, TS. You callin' my twin bro a coward? Off yourself before I get to you!

I've had everything laid out for suicide before but it takes a lot to go through with that last step. In the end I didn't have the balls either time. I couldn't deal with the thought of what it'd do to my parents

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm not surprised.

You are off-the-charts funny, and there's a strong tie between humor and suicidal tendencies.

It is taking an easy way out. It's like taking your ball and going home in the middle of a game.

You have issues? Work them out. Nothing could be that bad.

It's the most selfish thing you can do when you have people that care about you.

If you get that far down, reach out to someone. What do you have to lose if you're gonna kill yourself any way.

You definitely don't understand what it is to be severely depressed. When you're in that state of mind your ability to rationalize is gone. You're in absolute despair. Nothing makes you feel good.

Depression is the cancer of the mind. It's a disease that just over takes your brain. It doesn't discriminate, anyone can be victims of this disease. It doesn't matter what socioeconomic status you're in. It doesn't care if your rich, poor or middle class.

Look what happened to Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell. They seemed like they had it all. They were rich, famous and successful and they still weren't happy. For them to do what they did, they had to be in such sheer mental agony. They couldn't see the light out of this deep dark care they were in. All they had left to them is to commit suicide and release themselves from this excruciating pain.

This certainly wasn't the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. Will see this thing happen again and again. Depression is no joke, it should never be taken lightly.

Last edited:
No.Living in the shadows of the past,pain,is the hardest way.Living only in fragments..
We don't know,til the day we do...

I won't say cowardly, but definitely selfish for the ones that do it, and leave their young children behind.

I won't say cowardly, but definitely selfish for the ones that do it, and leave their young children behind.
"children" ?that is whole new ball game.... if you are single depressed and you cant find a mate and you have health problems like fibromylgia ,parkinsons disease low paying job i dont think that its cowardly. i mean the whole is too crowded already .. 7 billion people i mean cmon no matter where you live .. it doesnt matter the world is a very very ugly place to live in

Last edited:

I have no children, and I'm waiting for my parents to die before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I have a younger bother who is schizophrenic who may out live my parents and I suppose I would be responsible for him, but he's almost fifty, so the state can carry that burden.

I know a girl who's life was ruined because her dad hung himself. Not sure why he did it, but I think she might of saw the stiff.
Remember he being normal before but she's totally away with the fairies now and turned to heroin and god knows what else.

Back