Are you a coward if you commit suicide?

Are you a coward if you commit suicide?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is my opinion on people who think Chester Bennington or Chris Cornell are cowards for killing themselves.

Suicide is not an easy way out. There is nothing easy about it at all. If it was easy we would see more people doing it. The ultimate fear is the fear of the unknown. And what is the ultimate unknown? Death.. Where you don't know what will the consequences will be and it's permanent. There is no turning back.

It would take a lot for someone to kill themselves. They have to be in such sheer mental agony, where they see no way out of it. I know this personally, cause i suffered with clinical depression off and on since 2005. I would of been dead by now, if that fear wasn't there. That fear and not wanting my family to go through something like this is the reason im still alive today.

Another thing about depression. When you are clinically depressed. My analogy is like if you were drunk out of your wits. Which i'm sure most of you experienced. When you are that inebriated, you are ability to rationalize lowers substantially. And you ever notice you end up doing a lot stupid **** when your drunk? That you totally regret afterwards? Or even worse one of the leading causes of car accidental deaths.

Now imagine being clinically depressed? His ability to rationalize is zero, nothing. All he saw was dead ends. So through his clinically depressed mind the only way out from this unrelenting mental agony is to kill himself. The fear of death, which is a very powerful fear didn't even stop him from doing it. That to me says he was in the deepest darkest cave you can ever imagine and he wanted out.

No...I think it takes a lot of guts to kill yourself

This is my opinion on people who think Chester Bennington or Chris Cornell are cowards for killing themselves.

Suicide is not an easy way out. There is nothing easy about it at all. If it was easy we would see more people doing it. The ultimate fear is the fear of the unknown. And what is the ultimate unknown? Death.. Where you don't know what will the consequences will be and it's permanent. There is no turning back.

It would take a lot for someone to kill themselves. They have to be in such sheer mental agony, where they see no way out of it. I know this personally, cause i suffered with clinical depression off and on since 2005. I would of been dead by now, if that fear wasn't there. That fear and not wanting my family to go through something like this is the reason im still alive today.

Another thing about depression. When you are clinically depressed. My analogy is like if you were drunk out of your wits. Which i'm sure most of you experienced. When you are that inebriated, you are ability to rationalize lowers substantially. And you ever notice you end up doing a lot stupid **** when your drunk? That you totally regret afterwards? Or even worse one of the leading causes of car accidental deaths.

Now imagine being clinically depressed? His ability to rationalize is zero, nothing. All he saw was dead ends. So through his clinically depressed mind the only way out from this unrelenting mental agony is to kill himself. The fear of death, which is a very powerful fear didn't even stop him from doing it. That to me says he was in the deepest darkest cave you can ever imagine and he wanted out.

This is what all of the "coward" people fail to understand. I've known a girl who's cut herself from depression, and i don't mean those types that do it for attention. This girl has scars up and down her arms and wrists from going so deep. She has nerve damage in one of wrists. I've talked to her and asked "doesnt it hurt? how can you do it" and she claims at the time she literally felt nothing at all, almost euphoric.

Suicide is the hardest thing to do

To actually end your own self on purpose takes alot of strength and will power to do

To put your own needs over your own families is a coward move because it will affect them forever where as it has no more affect on you

So honestly the answer to this is both yes and no

To feel this low in life you'd rather be dead is something I can relate to

To actually go through with it, I can not. I would hate to feel that low that I would kill myself and I greatly feel for those who do.

You're a coward for abandoning responsibilities to your children or family if you kill yourself

You owe it to your family to be there for them.

A very close friend of mine did it 2 years ago now. 21 years old. Had it all. Legit.

I will never be able to get my head around it. The same goes for somebody like Chester today.

I try to stay away from discussing it purely because I believe there's probably something not quite right with the person doing it. I really don't know.

If you got children depending on you and you kill yourself then yes you're a coward
If you're suffering from a terminal disease and want to escape a daily life of torture and excruciating pain and being a burden on loved ones then no you are not a coward

But then again they kill themselves because they feel very small or little about themselves where they think their death could be better for others

It really is an impossible question to answer honesty

Having never been in that position I can't say. Mental health can be incredibly fragile at times.

I think it's more cowardly to be a person that clings to life so much they think ANY quality of life is better than death. That shows a deep fear of something that will happen to everyone.

if you kill yourself over first world problems, then yes. Absolutely. Especially when shitty countries like Pakistan, Jamaica, Guatemala have some of the lowest suicide rates in the world

If it's due to terminal illness or some other reason, then no.

Where was that one guy who went full retard wanting to kill himself after the French girl ran for her life because he was obsessive and stalky as fuck? Is he still around?

Dunno. Sometimes it is brave if you give your life to save others.

It is quitting though.

Not for pussies man. My dad killed himself to avoid legal trouble and I know he had to be on absolute misery to go how he did.

It's a lot more complicated than that. Every incident is different and has lead up to that moment very differently. You can't just generalize something like this. Well you can, and you did, but it's not helpful to getting a helpful answer.

I've had everything laid out for suicide before but it takes a lot to go through with that last step. In the end I didn't have the balls either time. I couldn't deal with the thought of what it'd do to my parents

Sadly, folks that commit suicide by hanging themselves has me thinking that the excruciating pain they're experiencing before they go limp has them thinking "oh shit, fuck, help; I fucked up..."

Back