x

Former binge drinker checking in

Past binge drinkers GTFIH

I would say I'm a binge drinker. Not drinking every day, but getting loaded when I do. You can buy a 750ml bottle of 55 proof brandy for $2 here...that's equivalent to 12 drinks and the quality is good. I'm lucky to not be a full blown alcoholic at those prices!

EEEEEEYUP! Off sauce for X amount of time, when sauce hits lips, Ill be drunk that night, hungover that day and if I drink two days in a row life begins to spiral. Only beer or gin mules!

I can definitely feel that I have done it too badly and too often. Looking to take a break for a couple of weeks. Im most certainly not ready to quit altogether, though.

I used to be (when I drank) I would stay sober for a few weeks (sometimes even months) and then just spend a weekend losing it.

Yes, I'm kind of a binge everythinger. I gotta force myself to moderate consumption sometimes.

This.

The word "moderation" does not exist in my lexicon. I can't stop at just one or just enjoy a nice relaxed buzz like most civilized people. Once I feel good, I always ruin it by going even further. This is me most nights if I get convinced to go out and party..

one-drink-and-we-go-home.jpg

I have this personality when it comes to food, booze, and drugs. I can go on a bender and then not even think about the stuff for weeks or even months. Ironically enough, I think this works to my benefit as this makes me not be able to turn it into an everyday habit, as I push myself to the brink each time. But at the same time it's really bad because you never know when you're going to blackout. It just sort of occurs at some point.

Nope, I know when to stop.

I got fucked up (really fucking fucked up, like emergency room-fucked up) only once in my life, and I regret it to this day.

Last edited:
Only slightly. I realise its a habit thats not really worth getting into but ive acquired a taste for beers that I previously would not have drunk excpet for at social events etc etc.

Last edited:
I don't really like the taste of Alcohol. I mean I don't mind it but it's not like coke or chocolate milk. Something that actually tastes good.
So I only drink to get drunk. I don't like to just have 2 or 3 beers because I don't like the feeling of being a bit drunk. And then stop.
Needs to be all or nothing.
your
Also, I don't do it that often maybe 2-3 per months.

I used to be the same.

How do you feel about it?

Doesn't necessarily mean you are an alcoholic.

actually, i think it does. well at least to me. to me, an alcoholic is someone who let's say as an example, was planning on going out to a bar for the night. they then find out that they can't go, and can't have a drink for the night. if they become upset and find any type of excuse to go drinking, they're an alcoholic. if they're able to say okay, and do something else, then they're not. it's about whether the substance has control over you, or if you have control over it.

i'll admit that there are times when i'm maybe three beers in, and i look at the time, and i realize that i should really get to bed soon because of work the next day. and sometimes, i say, "fuck it" and have a few more drinks. then i wake up the next morning feeling like shit, realizing i need to get out of bed right fucking now to make it to work. it doesn't happen often to me, but for non-alcoholics, they 99% of the time say no to that drink and go home.

that's how i differentiate between the two.

Alcohol's such a shitty drug. The thought of it is making me wretch, yet I still crave it.

since all drugs are escapist by nature, i've been moving more to weed when i want to, "get away". it's way better for you than alcohol. on the other hand, alcohol uplifts you and is a lot better for social situations.

since all drugs are escapist by nature, i've been moving more to weed when i want to, "get away". it's way better for you than alcohol. on the other hand, alcohol uplifts you and is a lot better for social situations.

Yeh, I enjoy weed. It's not a destructive influence. Smoked it for years and stopped for years at a time without any problems. It's a good drug imo. It's not really escapist unless you sit on the sofa and smoke it all day though, which most smokers have been guilty of at one time or another. Getting out into nature on a sunny day and relaxing with a j or passing one round your friends while watching one of your favourite bands is far from escapism.

UK/Eire drinking culture has always been crazy. It's right in your face everywhere.

What is the definition of binge drinking?

Has it changed?

I feel like is one of those terms where the definition changes every now and then.

A decade ago: "a drink a day is good for you."

Today: "a drink a day is binge drinking."

When I was in high school, my buddy's sister got busted by her RA for drinking in her dorm. As a result, she had to take a "responsible drinking survey."

Even as a kid, I saw that the survey was bogus. It clearly was nothing more than a way to give the university "proof" that she drinks too much...therefore, giving them the right to expel her while still collecting tuition and room/board fees.

the definition definitely depends on the person's size and tolerance. the scary part for lots of people, is that they never give the alcohol time to work. that's why so many people end up saying, "i don't know what happened. i had one more shot, and that's the last thing i remember."

Yeh, I enjoy weed. It's not a destructive influence. Smoked it for years and stopped for years at a time without any problems. It's a good drug imo. It's not really escapist unless you sit on the sofa and smoke it all day though, which most smokers have been guilty of at one time or another. Getting out into nature on a sunny day and relaxing with a j or passing one round your friends while watching one of your favourite bands is far from escapism.

UK/Eire drinking culture has always been crazy. It's right in your face everywhere.

oh, i agree with you about getting high not always being about escaping. like i smoke a bowl before going bike-riding on the weekends. and i love it. but it's something i'm doing on my own. like i wouldn't get high and then go to a bar. i'd be totally spaced out and, "in my own mind" so to speak. maybe it's the kind of weed i smoke. who knows. but at least for me, i prefer to be high when i'm alone. i'm not usually a social person when i'm high.

actually, i think it does. well at least to me. to me, an alcoholic is someone who let's say as an example, was planning on going out to a bar for the night. they then find out that they can't go, and can't have a drink for the night. if they become upset and find any type of excuse to go drinking, they're an alcoholic. if they're able to say okay, and do something else, then they're not. it's about whether the substance has control over you, or if you have control over it.

i'll admit that there are times when i'm maybe three beers in, and i look at the time, and i realize that i should really get to bed soon because of work the next day. and sometimes, i say, "fuck it" and have a few more drinks. then i wake up the next morning feeling like shit, realizing i need to get out of bed right fucking now to make it to work. it doesn't happen often to me, but for non-alcoholics, they 99% of the time say no to that drink and go home.

that's how i differentiate between the two.

I disagree. An alcoholic in that situation picks up a drink first thing after they wake up. Your definition of alcoholism covers like half of the adult population. Most of the population between 18 and 25.

I understand what you're saying but the kind of people you're describing including yourself aren't in any danger of needing to go to hospital to be treated for alcohol dependence/withdrawal. It's some serious shit.

There's binge drinkers and various forms of problem drinkers, some of which end up in the police station/hospital more than most alcoholics. Alcoholism is something else.

I disagree. An alcoholic in that situation picks up a drink first thing after they wake up. Your definition of alcoholism covers like half of the adult population. Most of the population between 18 and 25.

I understand what you're saying but the kind of people you're describing including yourself aren't in any danger of needing to go to hospital to be treated for alcohol dependence/withdrawal. It's some serious shit.

There's binge drinkers and various forms of problem drinkers, some of which end up in the police station/hospital more than most alcoholics. Alcoholism is something else.

i see where you're coming from. i guess your definition of being an alcoholic is where your entire existence is affected by alcohol. fair enough. i still say that if you're unable to say no to a drink, when you know you should say no to the drink, it's a major problem. maybe you can't call it alcoholism. but it is something that is problematic.

i see where you're coming from. i guess your definition of being an alcoholic is where your entire existence is affected by alcohol. fair enough. i still say that if you're unable to say no to a drink, when you know you should say no to the drink, is a major problem. maybe you can't call it alcoholism. but it is something that is problematic.

I 100% agree that alcohol is a MAJOR problem for a lot of people who aren't alcoholics. The correct amount of alcohol for an alcoholic is zero. Otherwise it's every opportunity you get. There's no in between.

Back