Are Whey Protein Supplements just a waste of money?

I have taken whey protein for about 15 years when I start to weight lift seriously. I decide about 1 month ago to stop taking Whey protein and I noticed that I am getting the same results as when I was taking whey protein. What do you guys think? Are they bullshit?
I fell for the bullshit years ago too,"window of opportunity" and such like,money stays firmly in my pocket these days,I get my protein from food and have done for almost a decade.

Its protein. No need to cook food.

Whey protein powder is a by-product of dairy AKA real food
YOOHOO_CHOCOLATE_DRINK_CANBOTTLE_11.png
Yoo-Hoo is real food because it is made out of whey <Moves>

It’s not like a lot of good science gets done on exercise, but I seem to recall that most of the data suggested that nutrient timing is BS and that you reall only need more like a half a gram of protein per pounds body weight or less unless you’re on gear.
If we are talking about pre/post workout nutrition it's certainly not bullshit especially the more advanced you are. If you are a recreational lifter/athlete than sure it doesn't make a difference but on the hierarchy of what matters nutritionally, adherence will always be at the top. But nutrient timing still has its place

If you guys are trying to do a self test with whey, one month of working out without it certainly isn't enough time to know if it helps with gains or not.

It depends on how much you take. I absolutely notice a difference when I’m on whey properly.

If you are doing 1 or 2 shakes a day and randomly will miss them throughout the week, you probably won’t notice a difference. If you are doing 1 gram per pound and taking them on schedule, you should feel and see a big difference.

In my early 20s I was really into bodybuilding. Spent like $200 whey, pre workout, etc.

A year later i just took steroids and drank a coke after a workout. Better results.

Nutrient timing is bullshit. You think the meal you ate a few hours before working out is magically completely digested and out of your system by the end of your workout? Any effect it has is pretty low on the list of priorities below working out regularly and with intensity, eating well generally, getting enough sleep, not drinking or doing drugs too much etc

Protein powder isn't anything special. It's a supplement. As in, it can supplement your diet if you need more protein. Most people get enough if they have a protein source with every meal.

Nutrient timing is bullshit. You think the meal you ate a few hours before working out is magically completely digested and out of your system by the end of your workout? Any effect it has is pretty low on the list of priorities below working out regularly and with intensity, eating well generally, getting enough sleep, not drinking or doing drugs too much etc

Protein powder isn't anything special. It's a supplement. As in, it can supplement your diet if you need more protein. Most people get enough if they have a protein source with every meal.
Are you saying nutrient timing is bullshit in general or the importance of a post workout meal? The idea of nutrient timing being bull shit is usually applied to meal frequency and post work out nutrition In regards to that "anabolic window", pre- workout nutrition is hardly ever disputed anymore.

Are you saying nutrient timing is bullshit in general or the importance of a post workout meal? The idea of nutrient timing being bull shit is usually applied to meal frequency and post work out nutrition In regards to that "anabolic window", pre- workout nutrition is hardly ever disputed anymore.
literature on nutrition/diet changes after every trend. From grazing to IF and now the timing is even disputed. I've had fighters perplexed on why I only eat at night after training. They skip dinners and that's mind-boggling to me. Do whatever works for you.

Hey: Are farts that will send people screaming out a room a waste of money?

I'm having casein right now for breakfast. and by casein, I mean caramel topped cheesecake with chocolaye drizzle.

I have taken whey protein for about 15 years when I start to weight lift seriously. I decide about 1 month ago to stop taking Whey protein and I noticed that I am getting the same results as when I was taking whey protein. What do you guys think? Are they bullshit?

So you were taking them every day? or just off and on for 15 years, protein is protein, Whey is probably the only supplement I think is worth taking the rest or not they just help you get in quick protein.

I prefer real foods, because whey causes me to get inflammation and gives me diarhea or constipation.

I just stick to eggs, steak, salmon, chicken, etc and beans.

It’s not like a lot of good science gets done on exercise, but I seem to recall that most of the data suggested that nutrient timing is BS and that you reall only need more like a half a gram of protein per pounds body weight or less unless you’re on gear.

yeah, they already said as long as you get the protein in the window, which is like 1 to 2 hours your good, after that your body starts eating up the muscle if you don't take in the fuel to recover.

You don't need to take protein immediately after working, but its better to do it in my opinion, so you at least get the nutrients in, so if you drive to the gym and back home just drink a shake or something as convenience if you cant get a real meal in.

People are not content with their genetic potential, I really don't care to be a mass monster, as long as im fit and healthy its all that matters to me. Some guys aren't content with being natural like this guy who is a natural bodybuilder who is muscular and lean not massive, id prefer to look like this natural guy rather than the one below who is juiced to the gills
frontbiceps_b.jpg

so they rather look like this and eat tons of protein and take steroids
olympia-2014-greene-1.jpg

I wanted to give a srs answer to this thread but then realized you were the TS.

Meh

Yeah I get that but even when I stopped drinking whey protein shakes and just went on eating regular food my gains were the same as when I drank shakes. I did not notice anything different. I am still as strong as when I was taking Whey protein.

I was the opposite, I haven't taken any bodybuilding supplements in 8 years and I lost my gains. Maybe its age since im over 30. I think as you get older quicker digesting protein helps you since your digestive system isnt like it used to be when you were younger, and breaking down solid meats takes time.

But when I was taking some whey before I was able to feel solid, my muscles felt harder, recovered quicker too and I put on size quicker, I had stretch marks to show on my shoulders and thigh area and chest.

I only took whey on workout days and the day after in the morning with my oats but I felt it made a difference in recovery and muscle.

Now I don't recover as fast, Im thinking about getting back on the whey but man I hate drinking that shit for some reason I think its mildew or some old mold, whey tastes so bad they either smell and taste bad or they mask the taste with some artificial sweeteners.

Plus it gives me diarrhea if I take the ones with sweeteners, so I stick to the natural no additives one from allmax iso natural and just down it fast taste like chalk but never gave me an issue..

Back