Are/Were You a Fan of the American Version of The Office?

I thought it was decent overall. It had it's down points of course.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to the UK version considering how different American and British humor is.

Yeah, the Xmas special. One of the very last scenes, I believe.

Huh, well I guess I have seen it then. But yeah, to go back to my earlier point, at the very end of the entire series is when you finally see David Brent get a little appreciation from everybody. I liked that they kept him so unredeemable throughout the whole thing.

Huh, well I guess I have seen it then. But yeah, to go back to my earlier point, at the very end of the entire series is when you finally see David Brent get a little appreciation from everybody. I liked that they kept him so unredeemable throughout the whole thing.

I never thought Brent was a nasty person, tbh (like, say, Finchy). Just a complete lack of self awareness.

I've had friends like him. If you tell them you got lucky the night before, they had a threesome with Swedish twins. It becomes intolerable after a while, but I ended up feeling sorry for them.

I never thought Brent was a nasty person, tbh (like, say, Finchy). Just a complete lack of self awareness.

I've had friends like him. If you tell them you got lucky the night before, they had a threesome with Swedish twins. It becomes intolerable after a while, but I ended up feeling sorry for them.

Yeah, not really a bad guy, but a guy who is annoying to be around, and one who keeps putting his foot in his mouth.

Never saw the British office ,like the american version until then end thought the last episode was perfect send off.

I'm a Brit and love the original series.

That said, I prefer the US version because there is a lot more to it.

The original show focuses on David, Gareth, Tim and Dawn (Michael, Dwight, Jim and Pam) and only has 12 episodes. 14 if you count the Christmas specials which came after.

There are 201 episodes of the US Office. The peripheral characters become really well developed and there is a lot more breadth and depth to it.

It has a different feel to the UK version. It's more overtly a sitcom rather than trying to present itself as a legit documentary.

Like a lot of shows, it started to get shit towards the end as they ran out of ideas and tried to compensate by doing increasingly stupid stuff. It's a sad end that many US shows suffer. On the contrary, the UK version ended well. The Christmas specials basically kill off the 2 main story arcs.

All in all, I think the US Office is a great show. Some of the writing and performances are top drawer. I think the hallmark of a great comedy is when you genuinely care about the characters, and I really was invested in several of them.
I didn't realize there were so few episodes in the English version. I think I'll start it tonight.

Guys, c'mon.

We all know British humor>>>> American humor.

It's all about the sublety. SUBLETY.

Also it came out first. And the American version is just so over the top and not funny for a comedy!

If you think American anything is better it's becuse your just an uncultured simpleton.

I agree, the show should of ended when Michael left... besides one or two episodes it was pretty bad and they didnt seem to know when to quit. James Spader ruined a whole season for me.

Thought I would despise it and it doesn't touch the British version, but once I took it for what it was and watched it as a show in its own right, I quite liked it!

It was a nice ending after all the punishment Brent had endured especially throughout the 2nd season. Although the first season was cringe it was still incredibly funny but I felt Gervais took it way too far with the self flagellation in season 2. It really was excruciatingly painfull to watch at times and so I liked how his character finally got a little redemption in the end. They really wrapped things up nicely in the xmas special and though I loved the show I'm glad they called it quits when they did.

As soon as I heard Gervais was doing a Brent movie I feared the worst and judging by the clips I've seen and the generally poor reviews it sounds like he should've left it well alone. As it stands I think it's unlikely I'll ever bring myself to watch it.

I love the first three seasons of the show. I'm much less enthusiastic about the rest of it.

Love the American version. Steve Carrell is the man. It's one of my favorite shows actually.

The Office makes me feel really awkward when I watch it. I don't like feeling that way so I don't really watch it.

I prefer Parks and Rec.

Dude, me too.

I did only watch a few episodes and some of the characters seemed ok but Steve Carell's character was just way over the top for me.

I like Steve Carell in general but not on that show.

It was a decent watch when on, but nothing I'd pick over something I really liked.

I actually think 'Extras' is better than 'The Office'.

My TV viewing is limited, but I still enjoy watching The Office. I get that British humour is better, but sometimes it's nice to turn off your brain and have a good laugh. You don't always have to be ON, all the time.

Back