Are we going to see danaher's back attack system in Mma?

Watched that video, great stuff but the idea doesn't seem anything new compared to what Marcelo Garcia did for years, Marcelo did not use the body triangle but he has short legs, i remember a video of Marcelo saying that if you have long legs you should definitely use a body triangle if the opponent is standing and if he had long legs he would do it.

There are moves that for some reason we see all the time in pure grappling or in the gym, but never in high level mma, probably because jiu jitsu is more methodical, you pass, mount, take the back and choke, meanwhile MMA is more chaotic.
There is a saying in bjj that if you mount the guy you are better than him, because you had to beat all his defenses to reach that position, i guess that if you have the opponent's back and you have him already all knotted up you have already beaten him, but in mma if you manage to jump on his back early in the fight and the guy has a lot of energy it is just better holding position and not risk.
If you have the chance, watch the Michinori Tanaka vs Kyung Ho Kang fight, Kang had his back like 10 times, even with the body triangle, and Tanaka escaped every single time, some guys have a crazy bridge.

I guess if someone is THAT good he could make anything work, but the trend in high level mma these days is advanced basics and fighting safe, don't give anything to your opponent and don't be scared to win a "boring" decision.
If you notice, Demian Maia always goes for the armbar from the back when the round is ending, so he doesn't risk losing the round, should be a quite high percentage move and the transition has decent amount of control, but he always lose position.
That vid is a year old and a very "rough" version of the idea behind it. I'm pretty sure that video was just that guy taking a stab at trying to pick up what at the time was just starting to emerge as a pattern with the DDS guys attacking the back. Which is the same thing I've been doing for the past few months: taking a stab at picking it up from watching/studying them.

Probably should have added a bit of disclaimer to it but figured some video would help people understand what Bjj_rage and Uchi Mata were talking about.

Found this for those unaware

That is not even close to what Gordon showed at the seminar I just attended. Which is not to say it's wrong, I'd guess they have multiple systems, but both Gordon and Eddie emphasized not cross gripping to set up the arm traps. They're falling to the choking side.

That is not even close to what Gordon showed at the seminar I just attended. Which is not to say it's wrong, I'd guess they have multiple systems, but both Gordon and Eddie emphasized not cross gripping to set up the arm traps. They're falling to the choking side.
Yeah after watching it a few times I noticed some things diff from what even I have been randomly picking up. Like I said, I prob should have posted a disclaimer with it. I just found that the other day and thought it would give people a general idea of what exactly we're talking about.

But that cross grip I've seen Gordon esp using a bunch and I've used myself with success. Interesting that they stressed not to use it. I know that all their systems continue to evolve but fuck I hope they release an instructional or something. Got me wondering why they moved away from that

Yeah after watching it a few times I noticed some things diff from what even I have been randomly picking up. Like I said, I prob should have posted a disclaimer with it. I just found that the other day and thought it would give people a general idea of what exactly we're talking about.

But that cross grip I've seen Gordon esp using a bunch and I've used myself with success. Interesting that they stressed not to use it. I know that all their systems continue to evolve but fuck I hope they release an instructional or something. Got me wondering why they moved away from that

It's a fair question. All I can say is that at Eddie's seminar he made a point of saying that their systems evolve very quickly, and in many cases even stuff they were doing a year ago they've now moved away from completely. When he taught the heel hook finishing mechanics he said that even videos that were out there of he himself talking about it no longer represented how they did it. One big reason Danaher has given for not releasing more material is that he's not yet confident that most of what they're doing is in its final form, or even close enough to publicize. He doesn't want to put out something he'd repudiate in a year. My guess on the back stuff is there's probably more than one way of doing it correctly, so I wouldn't assume that because Gordon nor Eddie taught a cross trapping system that it's necessarily bad, but I would hesitate to look at their old matches and assume that's what they'd teach now even if it is still workable.

It's a fair question. All I can say is that at Eddie's seminar he made a point of saying that their systems evolve very quickly, and in many cases even stuff they were doing a year ago they've now moved away from completely. When he taught the heel hook finishing mechanics he said that even videos that were out there of he himself talking about it no longer represented how they did it. One big reason Danaher has given for not releasing more material is that he's not yet confident that most of what they're doing is in its final form, or even close enough to publicize. He doesn't want to put out something he'd repudiate in a year. My guess on the back stuff is there's probably more than one way of doing it correctly, so I wouldn't assume that because Gordon nor Eddie taught a cross trapping system that it's necessarily bad, but I would hesitate to look at their old matches and assume that's what they'd teach now even if it is still workable.
You've gone full danaher lmao...dammit

hmmm, never seen him do it, probably because is a fighter I dont follow much, care to tell me which fight should I look up from him?
Watch his fight with pearson.

Specifically, go to 1:10 left in the first round, and 20 seconds left in round 2. Pearson's ability to survive the armbar in round 1 was insane.

Last edited:
Watch his fight with pearson.

Specifically, go to 1:10 left in the first round, and 20 seconds left in round 2. Pearson's ability to survive the armbar in round 1 was insane.

just saw the fight, evan went for the cross grip to trap the arm, ross escaped because evans head was not on his way, ross had his head the same side his trapped arm... nice transition to the armbar and insane defense by pearson.

Back