Are we ever gonna see these guys become champions in the UFC?

maia is the only one who could potentially do it

gus mightve been able to, but he doesnt even want it anymore, he gave up in round 5 during both title attempts and now fights like once a year, his last fight an unranked fighter jan blachowhatever boxed him up and turned himinto a panic wrestler. gus doesnt even have the drive to train at alliance anymore and wants to take time off training all the time.

he doesnt have heart, and got 2 lucky chances in a row. the first time, he got a title shot off of one top 10 decision win against ancient shogun, then caught jones while he was doing coke instead of training and still lost. then he got lucky again when jones was stripped and he got a title shot coming off of a LOSS, and he only had to beat DC, a much weaker champion, to win the belt, and gave up in round 5 to lose again

i dont think hes gonna get any more golden opportunities and is on the decline

1.) Barboza

I think Edson's biggest issue is "lack of push" - the UFC seem deadset on allowing Conor McGregor to hold onto that belt for dear life, and his only potential opponent seems to be Nurmagomedov. They are acting like Ferguson doesn't even exist at this stage, and just keep giving him hoop after hoop for him to have to jump through. I think Edson's loss to Ferguson will hurt his stock as of today, he essentially needs to do a Max Holloway and beat all of the contenders to force a title shot at this stage.

2.) Maia

I cannot see Maia beating Tyron, and age is not on Maia's side. You also need to take into account the constant UFC approach of keeping contenders away from champions because they are not "draws". Maia will have a hard time even getting past Masvidal, and with Demian turning 40 years old this year I just can't see it happening.

3.) Mousasi

Who knows if he even re-signs!? Let's say he does, it's the same issue as Maia and Barboza, they want to run him through the ringer before getting a shot. I could name 4-5 plausible fights for Bisping which would at least make half-sense, but instead they have St. Pierre lined up next. Gegard raises a good point though, Romero, Souza, Silva and Belfort will all be gone soon due to age. He'll still be there and in with a shot at the belt.

4.) Gustafsson

I've never seen a fighter so young, and still relatively fresh in fight-years, look so weather-beaten and lethargic. Alexander seems mentally defeated even at this stage of his career, just doesn't seem into it anymore. He's already shown that he bottles it during crunch-time, and with Cormier and Jones around, I just don't see him becoming champion. Who knows if he even gets past Glover in a few weeks.

My votes:

Barboza: No
Maia: No
Mousasi: Yes
Gustafsson: No

1.) Barboza

I think Edson's biggest issue is "lack of push" - the UFC seem deadset on allowing Conor McGregor to hold onto that belt for dear life, and his only potential opponent seems to be Nurmagomedov. They are acting like Ferguson doesn't even exist at this stage, and just keep giving him hoop after hoop for him to have to jump through. I think Edson's loss to Ferguson will hurt his stock as of today, he essentially needs to do a Max Holloway and beat all of the contenders to force a title shot at this stage.

2.) Maia

I cannot see Maia beating Tyron, and age is not on Maia's side. You also need to take into account the constant UFC approach of keeping contenders away from champions because they are not "draws". Maia will have a hard time even getting past Masvidal, and with Demian turning 40 years old this year I just can't see it happening.

3.) Mousasi

Who knows if he even re-signs!? Let's say he does, it's the same issue as Maia and Barboza, they want to run him through the ringer before getting a shot. I could name 4-5 plausible fights for Bisping which would at least make half-sense, but instead they have St. Pierre lined up next. Gegard raises a good point though, Romero, Souza, Silva and Belfort will all be gone soon due to age. He'll still be there and in with a shot at the belt.

4.) Gustafsson

I've never seen a fighter so young, and still relatively fresh in fight-years, look so weather-beaten and lethargic. Alexander seems mentally defeated even at this stage of his career, just doesn't seem into it anymore. He's already shown that he bottles it during crunch-time, and with Cormier and Jones around, I just don't see him becoming champion. Who knows if he even gets past Glover in a few weeks.

My votes:

Barboza: No
Maia: No
Mousasi: Yes
Gustafsson: No
Excellent post. This is exactly the kind of post I expect and enjoy reading, with ideas being elaborated, just like you did. Thanks, m8.

I agree with you on most of the things you said. About Maia, I´d like to say that if he gets past Masvidal convincingly, he might get his TS still this year. But it has nothing to do with deserving, it´s because GSP doesn´t want to fight Woodley IMO, so if Maia was the champ, GSP would probably go for it... he has already said he respects Maia a lot and would like to fight him maybe.

Excellent post. This is exactly the kind of post I expect and enjoy reading, with ideas being elaborated, just like you did. Thanks, m8.

I agree with you on most of the things you said. About Maia, I´d like to say that if he gets past Masvidal convincingly, he might get his TS still this year. But it has nothing to do with deserving, it´s because GSP doesn´t want to fight Woodley IMO, so if Maia was the champ, GSP would probably go for it... he has already said he respects Maia a lot and would like to fight him maybe.
Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words.

I totally agree with your comments on the Welterweight picture. Georges just needs to say boo, and Dana will line up Woodley/St. Pierre and will leave a deserving Maia just sitting on the sidelines again.

I think Masvidal puts Maia away personally, and even if Demian can get past Jorge I still have him losing to Tyron anyway. My prediction that he doesn't ever win the belt is mostly down to them not giving him the shot, but I also think he'll lose to those boys.

I've been wrong about Maia a lot, so perhaps I'm wrong again!

What's your opinion guys... (why or why not) do you see these fighters becoming champion in the UFC at some point?

Barboza
ko-barboza-dariush.gif

Maia
2nbrjmf_medium.gif

Mousasi
Weidman-Mousasi-Knee.gif

Gustafsson
sGpFwmv.gif
Moose has the best chance.

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words.

I totally agree with your comments on the Welterweight picture. Georges just needs to say boo, and Dana will line up Woodley/St. Pierre and will leave a deserving Maia just sitting on the sidelines again.

I think Masvidal puts Maia away personally, and even if Demian can get past Jorge I still have him losing to Tyron anyway. My prediction that he doesn't ever win the belt is mostly down to them not giving him the shot, but I also think he'll lose to those boys.

I've been wrong about Maia a lot, so perhaps I'm wrong again!
Yeah, after seeing Whittaker stop Jacare, we shouldn´t underestimate Masvidal against Maia either.

Barboza is far from being the best in the division but he's a lethal striker and could knock out anyone in the division. I don't think he'll ever fight his way to "earn" a title shot, but he could be a late replacement and win the title fight by KO.

I don't see Maia being able to take down and submit some of the larger fighters in the division.

Mousasi is a bit similar to Barboza - not the best in the division but he's a great striker and if he's awarded a title shot (I don't think he can fight his way to earn one), then it's not unreasonable to think that he could beat the champ.

Gus can likely fight his way to a title shot but I don't see him beating DC. He might beat post-USADA Jones, depends on how good/bad Jones looks in his next fight.

Back