Are there western boxing gyms in Thailand?

KennisTheMenace**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any outcasts in Thailand who grow up not wanting to learn kicking and have the option to box?

The Thais are quite good at western boxing, and it's relatively popular there from what I understand. There are several Thai gyms that teach both Muay Thai and boxing.

The Thais are quite good at western boxing, and it's relatively popular there from what I understand. There are several Thai gyms that teach both Muay Thai and boxing.

know any in bangkok`? going there soon

No, but there are guys around here who probably do. All I know is that Thailand has produced some very good boxers over the years.

If you look at the lighter weight ranking for pro boxing and the Olympics there's always Thais in there somewhere. I'm guessing it would be like in MT and the last part of their name is their gym. You could google some names if your stuck, I could be completely wrong though...

Galaxy Gym at Krungthep Thonburi University teaches both Western boxing and Muay Thai. It produced arguably the greatest Western boxer in Thai history, Khaosai Galaxy, and still has a strong boxing program today.

I believe Chuwattana is both a Muay Thai and western boxing gym as well. Jomthong Chuwattana trains out of there.

most of the western fat camps will have a boxing program for what its worth

Some people go to muay thai camps just to work on boxing. Seen a few people do that at Sinbi.

FYI Galaxy has moved and no one (even Anorak) knows where it is.

Just wondering if there are any outcasts in Thailand who grow up not wanting to learn kicking and have the option to box?

They aren't outcasts. Good western style boxers are held in higher regard than Muay Thai fighters. They are more well known by the average thai and far better paid too when they get to the high levels. If someone shows good promise as a boxer and has better hands they will be encouraged to go into boxing.

Very informative thread, thanks everyone for responding to my question! I'm shocked good boxers are held in higher regard than Muay Thai fighters, I was under the impression with all of the Muay Thai vacations to camps I read about on this forum that it's all about Muay Thai over there. When I take a vacation there ill be sure to pack my gloves ;D

Most of the Muay Thai gyms teach western boxing. I also have a question. If there are many gyms which offer western boxing, why do the majority of Thai fighters choose Muay Thai? Is it to do with honouring their culture and tradition?

Very informative thread, thanks everyone for responding to my question! I'm shocked good boxers are held in higher regard than Muay Thai fighters, I was under the impression with all of the Muay Thai vacations to camps I read about on this forum that it's all about Muay Thai over there. When I take a vacation there ill be sure to pack my gloves ;D

Well Khaosai Galaxy is far more of a household name, I doubt Saenchai is that well known by the general thai public. If a thai western style boxer wins an Olympic or a world champion medal it would be in the national news.

Thailand is the mecca for thai boxing, that's why people go there. Good boxing you can get at home in most places so you wouldn't really travel to thailand just to do western boxing.

The thing is with western boxing is it's massively better paid at the top end and much more of an international sport. Because the best thai boxers pretty much all come from thailand and fight in thailand there isn't nearly as much money in it as it's a relative poor country.

Most of the Muay Thai gyms teach western boxing. I also have a question. If there are many gyms which offer western boxing, why do the majority of Thai fighters choose Muay Thai? Is it to do with honouring their culture and tradition?

I suspect it's to do with making a living as most Muay Thai fighters start from a young age and are pros. They can get paid a decent amount regularly and send money back to their family. I don't know about the law governing what age you can turn pro in boxing over in Thailand but I suspect it's more in line with the rest of the world (similar to mexico 15 maybe?) than it is in Muay Thai where you can see 8 year olds fighting for money.

Lots teach western boxing because simply they have the knowlege, as boxing is part of MT too.

The thing is with western boxing is it's massively better paid at the top end and much more of an international sport. Because the best thai boxers pretty much all come from thailand and fight in thailand there isn't nearly as much money in it as it's a relative poor country.

do you have an idea about the average purse a boxing world champ could make in thailand ?

Muay Thai is looked down on in Thailand, and considered a low class sport. It is really only popular with the poor of Thailand. Buakaw is famous, but most Muay Thai fighters are really not very famous. Galaxy is much more famous.

The thing is, Thailand is a class based society, and very dependent on "face". Muay Thai fighters come from poor backgrounds, the same as motorcycle taxis and street food vendors. Middle class and upper class Thais who train MT don't do it at MT camps. They train at places in Thonglor and fancy gyms like that. Places where their hair gel wont sweat out.

Telling a quality Thai girl you are a MT fighter is going to have the opposite effect as it would on a chick in the west.

As far as pure boxing gyms in Thailand, I don't know of any. BKK Fight Club had it in the past, but their boxing trainer is gone now. Some MT camps I'm sure have it, but I don't know which. I believe the Thai national team trains in Ramkamhaeng at the Thailand Sports Authority Complex (think that was the name). I would like to train western boxing here, but haven't came across anywhere in my nearly 2 years here.

Anyone know the name of the training facility they have Sangmanee training for the Olympics is called?

Back