Are there products like Fat Gripz that aren't made form Silcone-Rubber? I think I'm allergic

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by NYCMAC, Mar 12, 2017.

1. NYCMAC White Belt

NYCMAC
    So, I received my order for fat Gripz and was excited then I realized that when I touch it, I instantly feel weird and get itchy (not severe but it's very noticeable). The itch goes around to random spots on my body hit mostly back hand, wrist, ears, stomach, side of face, forearms and even legs. I also sneezed a couple times but nothing crazy. In the end, I'm obviously having some sort of reaction.

I also read the pamphlet that says "don't use if allergic to rubber". I didn't know that I was allergic to rubber. I always knew that I'd feel itchy in garages, around tires or any rubber products with that "ashy-residue" on it.

So, I'm looking for a product just like fat Gripz, of equal or better quality.

Grip4orce is only 2" in diameter which sucks.. There thing is more about improving the tension and pressure of the Gripz, hence the intermediate and advance tensions of the same diameter.

I'd hate to have to constantly make my own DIY fat Gripz... They break, they're cheap and airports will be like "wtf, we can't allow this on the flight" since it does look sketchy.

So, what are some hidden gems for my sitaution?

2. hangulmalmotayo Blue Belt

hangulmalmotayo
    Why don't you just wrap a towel around it?

3. NYCMAC White Belt

NYCMAC
    Good idea, I thought of that, but I'd still be in contact with it. It's not worth the reaction that my body gets when touching them. I'd rather have items that I can touch without having being vigilant.

4. hangulmalmotayo Blue Belt

hangulmalmotayo
    This is what I would do (I'm allergic to nickel, so I have to deal with this occasionally with other things): duct tape the fat gripz and cut the opening and use a towel. But that's just me...

5. hangulmalmotayo Blue Belt

hangulmalmotayo
    Though maybe that won't work because the tape will be too slippery... Maybe athletic tape? Anyway, my two cents.

Obviously, you will know what's best for you.

6. NYCMAC White Belt

NYCMAC
    Hmm, interesting. You think this'll work? I'd hate to waste $45 plus dollars (including the tape) when I could've just returned them and used a brand with equal quality but doesn't use the material used by fat Gripz.

I won't lie though-- you athletic tape idea is intriguing. It's just a risk if it doesn't work out which is why in asking if you've successfully used this method.

Also, won't the athletic tape defeat the purpose of using fat Gripz since it helps with grip?

Btw, how do you deal with teh nickle allergy? How bad is the reaction that you get?

7. hangulmalmotayo Blue Belt

hangulmalmotayo
    If you can return them, you should probably do that.

The athletic tape will help with grip, but it'll still work your forearms. Or you could do a layer of duct tape (which I think will create a more solid barrier with the rubber) and then do athletic tape over it. I have my fat gripz on my pull up bar with a towel over it and taped with athletic tape. It works my grip fine. I'm not allergic to rubber, I don't remember why I did that.

My nickel allergy is annoying as hell. I can't wear most watches, belts (unless I tuck my shirt in), or if I have coins/keys in my pockets during summer and sweat, the skin on my leg will become irritated. If I handle stuff containing nickel with my hands, my skin will start to dry and peel. It's not absolutely terrible, but it's annoying. I just have to make sure to wash my hands right after handling stuff with nickel.

8. NYCMAC White Belt

NYCMAC
    I hear you. That must be annoying as hell for you.

As for me returning the Fat Gripz-- that's why I made this post. Are there any alternative products that don't use that "rubber-like" material?

9. hangulmalmotayo Blue Belt

hangulmalmotayo
    I cannot help you there. Haha, Sorry. Good luck!