Are the Vast majority of people weak and defenceless?

Depends where you are.

I have no desire to learn how to defend myself, much better to spend my time learning how to improve my life.

That said I did train and fight in mma but that was only because its fun.

I think having some idea how to defend yourself is a life improvement. I'm not even saying go all out and train martial arts 3 times a week while shooting pop-up targets at a gun range every weekend, but learn how to throw a proper punch or maybe watch a video of self-defense techniques. I'm not saying that will turn someone into a bad ass, but it's better to have some idea of what to do than none at all. Some people are ok knowing that they if something goes down, they have no idea how to react. I'm not one of them.

Was in the marine corps for awhile. Went through the green belt mcmap course. Helped out allot.

I'd say any guys that's gone through a basic boot camp already has a leg up on most people. Some other posters mentioned it and I strongly agree, being situational aware is a big deal. Allot of ordinary people are benign to what's going on around them and when shit hits the fan, they have no tactical mindset at all while being in complete surprise.

It's kind of funny the skills in life one develops and doesn't. My father in law worked construction all his life and could build a house alone. Me I could tactically clear any house but would take me forever to build a home (and it would likely be shit when I completed it)

Also I've noticed a couple things in my life time and professions . A basic (and I mean very simple / basic) understanding of boxing, wrestling and what an andrenaline dump is likely makes you better then 90% of the population in a fight and/or tactical situation.

Also side note.

It's amazing how many people would not know how to use a firearm. And I'm not even talking about being able to shoot one properly.

If you know how to load a magazine (with the proper ammo for the firearm) insert it and make a gun ready for fire, I would say that puts you in small % of people world wide that would know how to do that.

tough guys itt: someone just threatened to kick in my door. what do I do?!

It really depends on who, and why etc. Usually a threat like that is a display and doesn't carry a risk of it happening. If it were to be done, usually you wouldn't be given time to prepare.

People are in a bubble. I had a guy in my social circle who was a mouthy little fucker in college. One night out, running his mouth as usual, he got popped in the mouth, dropping to the ground. Nothing more happened after that, wasn't KO'd, but I'll never forget the look on his face. The only way to describe it was that his world view, or at least his view of himself and his place in the world, was shattered. This is a lot of people.

This reminds me of times when I hear people talk about guys training in MMA or figthers as being "insecure". I'd argue that they're merely "aware" and the average joe should be insecure, but his lack of awareness (and his unjustifiable ego) prevents him from seeing his shortcomings.

Growing up a redneck and then boxing wrestling and doing bjj helped me at least have a chance. It's crazy how weak some adults become. One of my gfs cousins limp wristed office friends was spouting off about ufc or something ridiculous and I told him that if any of those dudes wanted they could kill him. He didn't believe me and told me to try. I bodylocked him took mount and arm trangled him in 15 seconds. After which he whined about his ribs from the body lock. Also he was the alpha at his white collar job. Disgusting

"Are the vast majority of people weak and defenseless?" Yes, and they lack confidence in their abilities.

Manage the distance, manage the damage.

"The one who controls the distance controls the fight." Helio Gracie

"Are the vast majority of people weak and defenseless?" Yes, and they lack confidence in their abilities.

Manage the distance, manage the damage.

"The one who controls the distance controls the fight." Helio Gracie

I work in an office as well. I’m 29 and I’m in good physical shape. I run and do cardio and pushups and chin ups at the gym.

But I have no clue how to fight. Never been in a fight. Did two intro boxing classes but just never had the time to commit to training with the pressures of my job and school and my family.

I grew up in the city and have pretty much spent a lifetime avoiding conflict, like most people. Just being honest as this is a message board.

I think most people are like me. I just admit it and have no ego.

I'm not a pussy but i'd rather avoid a fight. Half the fights i've had i won and that was due to them stemming from arguments and i've just had enough. I'm 29 years old now, if I slap a teenager i get done for assault of a minor, if i hit someone in the street he could fall and hit his head, I hit a migrant then i'm the bad guy, it's just not worth it anymore.

In the UK we're surprisingly pretty calm when it comes to "bar fights" despite the high alcoholism rate here. It's mostly stupid kids fighting here. As adults we're just sensible

I work in an office as well. I’m 29 and I’m in good physical shape. I run and do cardio and pushups and chin ups at the gym.

But I have no clue how to fight. Never been in a fight. Did two intro boxing classes but just never had the time to commit to training with the pressures of my job and school and my family.

I grew up in the city and have pretty much spent a lifetime avoiding conflict, like most people. Just being honest as this is a message board.

I think most people are like me. I just admit it and have no ego.

A real conflict is a lot different than sparing in the gym. The adrenaline dump alone makes it a completely different ball game. Add to that chances are you will not be in shape and things get hairy really quickly. Then chances are you'll be sucker punched or attacked by multiple people.

No matter who you are, you should really be avoiding street fights.

Even when I was a semi-serious martial artist and in great shape I was terrified of what could happen out there. What happens if you ko him and his head bounces off the concrete? Now you've killed someone.

Well just think who would win between one male silverback gorilla and 10 power lifters then you have your answer

I grew up in the city and have pretty much spent a lifetime avoiding conflict, like most people. Just being honest as this is a message board. I think most people are like me. I just admit it and have no ego.

Well, I'm nothing special either my friend. I'm in my mid 40s. You are young and in good shape. That's half the battle right there. The rest is mental (confidence) and some very basic skills. I've spent a couple of years in Tae Kwon-Do, Aikido, and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. They all have their pros-and-cons. Got bet up a few times when I was much younger (bullied), did not know how to fight and lacked confidence. One street fight last year. Other guy went down in seconds. These days knowing how to fight does not really mean much if someone pulls out a gun.

From what I'm reading, a few of us have taken some type of Martial Art training. Some have even competed in tournaments, but avoiding a street fight is always the smart thing to do. You never know how good the other person is or if they have a gun or a knife.

Even if you can only go once or twice a week, I would recommend at least one martial art. Having a live person in front of you punching, kicking, or grappling is not the same as reading a book or watching a YouTube video. Plus, again, it helps to build your confidence level. Learn the basics. Stick to the basics. You don't need 5 years of training or to have a black belt. All those advanced techniques are too complicated anyway. Learn where to hit your opponent and a few choking techniques. Throat, groin, knees, and a good headbutt to the nose. Yeah, street fighting is not 'clean' fighting.

Carry a small can of mace. Highly recommended for women. It may not fully stop your assailant but it will definitely 'soften' them up. Good luck...

Back