Are strikes to the backside really dangerous

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Are strikes to the backside really that dangerous?

Like strikes to back of head, or knees and roundhouses to the spinal area.

Grapplers are allowed to choke you from behind, and take you down by affecting you balance going backwards, slam you on your back, or even belly to back holds. Striking however is limited to the front.

A strike tends to concentrate force a lot more strongly than a slam does, just due to surface area concerns.

A strike to the back of the head can affect the brainstem, which can kill you. Similarly, you could fracture a vertebrae with a powerful roundhouse or knee to the back. And being punched in the kidney isn't as dangerous as the above, but it can have some serious complications.

So... yes. They really are that dangerous.

A strike tends to concentrate force a lot more strongly than a slam does, just due to surface area concerns.

A strike to the back of the head can affect the brainstem, which can kill you. Similarly, you could fracture a vertebrae with a powerful roundhouse or knee to the back. And being punched in the kidney isn't as dangerous as the above, but it can have some serious complications.

Well, grapplers can choke, and break joints. I think the strikers should be allowed some of their dangerous moves too.

Are strikes to the backside really that dangerous?

Like strikes to back of head, or knees and roundhouses to the spinal area.

Grapplers are allowed to choke you from behind, and take you down by affecting you balance going backwards, slam you on your back, or even belly to back holds. Striking however is limited to the front.

Is striking limited to the front in Thailand? The impression I got from my instructors was it wasn't.

This.

Brainstem, spinal cord, cranial nerves and to some extent the cerebellum are exposed at the back of the head/neck area. There isn't the same cranial protection back there, plus there's a lot of very vulnurable structures.

brain2.jpg

Brain stem:
cranial-nerves-5-638.jpg

The brainstem autoregulates breathing, blood pressure and so forth, and any damage near there can be very dangerous. Not to mention all the cranial nerves as illustrated above.

Judging by how many people die because they hit the back of the head after a fall... yes.

Well, grapplers can choke, and break joints. I think the strikers should be allowed some of their dangerous moves too.
... they are. It's called "striking".

A broken bone or being choked unconscious is painful, and can cause some problems - both have happened to me, for example, and they kind of sucked. But grappling is, in the long term, so much safer than any form of full contact striking it's not funny. People who predominantly grapple don't get anywhere near the CTE problems strikers do. Yes, you can get some bad injuries, but it's very rare that someone actually dies in a grappling match. That happens a lot more often in striking.

Back