Are PvP MMOs dead?

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by DynamicLoosener, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:46 AM.

1. DynamicLoosener Grass Fed Free Range Dolce Belt

DynamicLoosener
    Are PvP MMO's dead? I am an oldschool UO/Asherons Call/DAoC vet and every game I have tried for the last 10 years has been a steaming pile of shit.

I like fighting other people but hate the stupid "battlegrounds" they put in games to appease the liberal crowd. Im to a point where I am just going to start playing paintball irl to get my pvp fix.

Der Eisbar likes this.
  2. Gref No.

Gref
    I don't think it's implemented yet but check out Project Gorgon. It's a throwback to Asherons Call. The dev team is very small and progress is at a crawl but it's currently free to play.

3. Der Eisbar Furry funk master

Der Eisbar
    Seems to be that way....

people are pussies and don't like to play MMO's in an open world setting with PvP. Gaming has turned into every other form of popular media like music and movies, its a race to the bottom. Let's make shit as easy and accessible as possible to get the most amount of players and $

Hogey likes this.
  4. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Majority of ESO endgame is PVP

5. Popsaregood230 Blue Belt

Popsaregood230
    I just don't get the joy out of UO freeshards anymore. Hasnt been anything to draw my attention in a long time really. I mostly play quakelive/champions now. Pure pvp lol.

6. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
  7. Hogey Black Belt

Hogey
    I guess it would not count as an mmo but rust is awesome game for pvp

Servers have up to 350 people in them so I consider it pretty massive

8. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    In an open setting? You can run around killing other players in the open world at that point?

He's asking about a specific type of PvP in MMOs. Otherwise this question doesn't make sense. League of Legends and Dota 2 are more popular than any other PvP MMOs in history, and both are focused on MP PvP play.

TeTe likes this.
  9. RoryFan Wears Hats

RoryFan
    - How do you use the map?
    -Alt F4
    -Kill yourself
    -Delete System 32
    - Ask your mum

I've been playing rust recently and I see this play out in chat at least once a day.

Hogey likes this.
  10. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Yes

Madmick likes this.
  11. eembach Brown Belt

eembach
    Ark: Survival Evolved is really interesting not the classic MMORPG, its first person and has a minecraft element to it, not that polished yet and has constant server issues but thats actually more in line with MMOs than not lol.

Check it out, has complete player looting and building destruction on PvP servers and is fundamentally a pretty difficult game by design, has both console and PC versions and tomorrow is releasing a new map with new servers that are a fresh start so you are not constantly dominated by players who has 2 years head start in massive tribes.

12. SeefourDC Blue Belt

SeefourDC
    I like how you think that will stop a new player from getting dominated. My ark clan would go on established servers and topple major clans in short order who weren't top notch. Ark is a tough game by itself without other players stomping on your dreams. (Hella fun though)

13. KaNesDeath Black Belt

KaNesDeath
    Mostly, for they dont possess the content to retain an active healthy player base. An those who do retain an active healthy player base do so by creating imbalances.

Arena based PvP is the correct solution. There you can set the amount of players versus players and adjust game mechanics for balancing purposes to properly award player/players skill.

Madmick likes this.
  14. MUSTKILL Purple Belt

MUSTKILL
    The only real MMO that follows the classic UO ruleset (ability kill anyone anywhere outside of town and loot everything) is Darkfall Online.
    But the grind to that game is too brutal for most people to go through. I've played every fucking game in this genre, even the ones still in alpha, and they're all dog-shit.
    Shards Online is the closest thing to a UO clone, but it's still a long ways away from being legit.
    I have Ark, Rust, 7 days to die, Miscreated, DayZ, Empyrion, H1Z1, PUBG, Arma 2/3, and The Forrest. While those games have a very similar ruleset to the classic UO MMO, it still doesn't have the community or large server playerbase that make it worth coming back to over and over again.

15. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    That's because it's an unworkable idea. You're just re-creating the world, there. Are there cops patrolling the highways? No? Then it's not "real", either. Any environment that allows that depth of pillage and plunder would logically see the advent of players attempting to exert control. It would begin with tribalism, and then a talented politician would come along and unite the everyone behind ideas like the police.

At that point, how do you impose punishment? How do you entice someone who has lost his head and looted someone else, then been tracked down and caught, to log in every day for 6 months to report to a jail cell? Do you simply take all his gear as a punishment? Cool. Now people are afraid to gank each other for fear of retribution from a higher, organized authority. Not serving justice, but only retribution and power, you have already reverted back to tribalism, with players seeking security in gangs, and ultimately all factions converging into a single primary faction. Why? Because nobody wants to choose the losing side. You'd have to assign new players to teams.

Games are games for a reason. Leave the world behind. The paradoxical irony is that you need rules simply to avoid the inevitability of the rules that arose in the world you left behind. Yeah, it sucks, but we call it human nature. You can't outrun rules. All you can do is fashion them to serve your goals.

Valkosen likes this.
  16. DrakeEB2 White Belt

DrakeEB2
    Albion Online just came out.

And Shadowbane was great back in the day.

17. rob mafia Double Yellow Card

rob mafia

....what?

you think police and "rules" are "human nature." wow.

18. Skov White Belt

Skov
    Mortal Online is way more akin to UO than Darkfall, both are buggy and small though.

Star Citizen and Ashes of Creation are promising, I love the SC Alpha so far.