Are pedometers accurate for running?

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So I mapped out my run as being close to 15km but decided to run with a pedometer ap on my phone. Basically when I reached a point of around 5km I looked at the ap and it said I had only run 2km. In the end it marked me down as having run 100k feet and 7.1km. But at home I checked a bunch of run distance calculators and according to them the route I ran was around 15km. I know the route into town is at least 3km but the ap didn't show this as 3 km.

I'd say phone apps probably aren't that accurate, so its best to check the app reviews. A few people who are into running have used phone apps and apps on their iwatches and whatever and have said that they're inaccurate.

Apparently, these gps systems are not 100% accurate for security reasons.. now I don't know how true that is, it could be something someone made up and told me, but they're never 100% accurate because terrorists or whoever would be able to pin point locations if they were. But that could be a massive fib.

s6OOvv.png

Before you start logging your runs or w/e activity check how accurate google maps is being at that moment. If you have an accuracy of 10-50 meters you can trust the readings. When that crap is jumping between 100-2500 meters you shouldn't.

PS: If you know how long the road is... just run a timer.

why are you using a pedometer app when you could use a gps run app?

Just go on google earth and measure your route

Is it just me or does "pedometer" sound like the most unintentionally perverted, yet hilarious name for a device?

That being said, I have a Moto 360 and a Garmin GPS watch that I really like. I use them for cycling and short distance jogs.

A pedometer measures steps by the number of times it's accelerated and decelerated, like when it's worn on a swinging leg. If it measures distance, it's by multiplying some distance by the number of steps - some allow for this distance to be calibrated. So if it's assuming an average walking stride, and you're running, it's going to drastically underestimate the distance.

A pedometer is a good tool to measure some kinds of incidental physical activity during the day, but it's not really a useful tool for any kind of athletic training. At least so far as I'm aware.

So I mapped out my run as being close to 15km but decided to run with a pedometer ap on my phone. Basically when I reached a point of around 5km I looked at the ap and it said I had only run 2km. In the end it marked me down as having run 100k feet and 7.1km. But at home I checked a bunch of run distance calculators and according to them the route I ran was around 15km. I know the route into town is at least 3km but the ap didn't show this as 3 km.
Is it a step pedometer or does it use gps? You could double check using googlemaps-distance calc or use a bike odometer.

if you measured the distance accurately and your gadget provides a completely different figure then its not accurate. congratulations for answering your own question.

Pedometers are based on counting steps judging by the device sensing movement, up and down. You can make it count steps just by shaking it. Why, just the other day I masturbated for 5km.

IMHO Pedometers in general no matter what tool you use are NEVER 100% accurate. You can bounce and swing those things, hell hit a bump and it counts as a step. So no I don't think they are accurate.

a bunch of you in here are mixing up pedometers and gps. as pointed out by the others in here the pedometers count steps by sensing motion and estimate distance based on an estimated stride length. that's why pedometer apps ask for your height typically, its trying to figure out your stride length. anyway, gps is way more accurate.

Is it just me or does "pedometer" sound like the most unintentionally perverted, yet hilarious name for a device?

That being said, I have a Moto 360 and a Garmin GPS watch that I really like. I use them for cycling and short distance jogs.

assburgers

yup .. so I ran my first 10km race today in an official time of 40 mins. If I had believed the app it would have said I had only run 4km at the finish line.

Back