Are most of us slaves?

Luger

Rabbi of Platinum Nation
Banned
Reaction score

Varg is a funny dude.
He made me wonder. Is he correct?

im a slave to my cats
i cant believe i actually scoop poop . . .
im so pathetic ):

Sounds like an idiot.

Criticizing civilization for bringing us "multiculturalism" raised a flag as well.

So... he argues that we are all slaves... by changing the definition of what slavery means? Seems legit.

This is so pretentious. No, the modern workers in the west cannot be equated to slaves because it's sometimes hard to find a job.

Is he correct?

He's correct on many levels although we would not have many of the luxuries we enjoy today without modern civilization. The tribal societies like the Native American Indians are the best way to have life and purpose without a lot of the nonsense and exploitation which exists today.

Without watching the video, most of us are slaves in some capacity yes. Unless you just really enjoy modern society and culture.

Is he correct?

He's correct on many levels although we would not have many of the luxuries we enjoy today without modern civilization. The tribal societies like the Native American Indians are the best way to have life and purpose without a lot of the nonsense and exploitation which exists today.

What levels is he correct on?

Since the dawn of man, long before civilization, just about everyone has had to labor to survive. For almost as long there have been a privileged few that had to labor less, for more.

A class system does require slavery to function.

What levels is he correct on?

Since the dawn of man, long before civilization, just about everyone has had to labor to survive. For almost as long there have been a privileged few that had to labor less, for more.

A class system does require slavery to function.

He is correct in that our current society breeds exploitation. Exploitation is a product of a functioning civilization especially one where the economic model is based on capitalism.

The tribal society like the Indians lived off the land and were free to hunt and plant gardens. Their job was to live, not to work. That becomes the biggest difference. In today’s society we work to live. In a tribal society there was only life. Work was the byproduct not the source or mainstay.

It does feel that way sometimes, everyone getting ripped off and exploited and the distribution of wealth being worse than in feudal times..

But you can't compare because we get to live in modern society. Can you put a price on keyhole surgeries and antibiotics? In contrast to ages past we live in a sci fictionesque "high tech" world, where even a pauper has cell phones more miraculous than anything from a few centuries past.

He is correct in that our current society breeds exploitation. Exploitation is a product of a functioning civilization especially one where the economic model is based on capitalism.

The tribal society like the Indians lived off the land and were free to hunt and plant gardens. Their job was to live, not to work. That becomes the biggest difference. In today’s society we work to live. In a tribal society there was only life. Work was the byproduct not the source or mainstay.

Explain what any of that has to do with slavery.

Also, are you ignoring just how much work is involved in tribal life and how quickly the tribe dies if they don't do it, or if it goes wrong? Damn, not enough rain, STARVATION. Damn, too much rain, STARVATION. Damn, a bear killed our two best hunters, STARVATION.

We work far too many hours in the week at present but it's a choice. Think about how much money people are spending on entertainment or prepared food and consider how few hours you'd have to work to maintain a sustenance level lifestyle, as if you were in a tribe hundreds of years ago. You know, if that's really what you want, you could probably buy a plot of land on the outskirts of some small town and work a day or two a week to pay for food and maintenance on the shack you live in. That is an option that is available to you. People do that.

The thing about slavery is that it doesn't come with options, you don't get to pick from a menu. People work long hours because they want the things that you get with the money you earn. Or, they have a family to support and want a certain standard for that family, which is a choice.

Personally, think the video was silly, and using the word slavery was misleading.

It does feel that way sometimes, everyone getting ripped off and exploited and the distribution of wealth being worse than in feudal times..

But you can't compare because we get to live in modern society. Can you put a price on keyhole surgeries and antibiotics? In contrast to ages past we live in a sci fictionesque "high tech" world, where even a pauper has cell phones more miraculous than anything from a few centuries past.

Everything you said is true but in a way it evades the original post. Does having a cell phone or good medicine make you less of a slave or simply a more obedient one? Then you can reason how cell phones, computers and all the technology of this age... is it freeing us or a possible prelude to future enslavement? Are we becoming addicted to the very same mechanisms that will be used to control us?

That's the idea or mystery behind tribal or even barbarism to a degree. You're truly free and although without certain creature comforts, it's possible the sense of life purpose coming from tracking your own food to even growing it can become a bigger sense of life purpose than getting a promotion or pleasing some company. Farmers testify to having a huge sense of life accomplishment (before Monsanto) just farming the land. Imagine adding to that hunting, fishing, building your own shelter and even making your own clothes. Imagine the freeing feeling of not needing to rely on anyone or anything? It's a hypnotizing realization really.

Slavery is quite bad. You are literally at your master's whim. That can include your life itself, depending on the brand of slavery. But certainly where you live, what you eat, the work you perform, who you associate and have sex with. You can be literally sold and moved to a different location. You have zero self-determination. These do not apply in the West, unless you are talking about instances of actual slavery found.

To pretend like even the most subjugated worker's (except aforementioned slaves') life in the West is anything like a slave's is to show a lack of understanding of what slavery is.

"But my boss makes me come to work at 8:30! Slave driver!" Do you get whipped if you don't turn up? Do you then have to turn up anyway? Do you get killed if you continue to not turn up? "I don't like doing what I voluntarily agreed to do because it's boring and annoying and doesn't fulfil me as a magnificent individual snowflake that I know deep inside I am" is different to "I do this or I am killed. Those are my two options."

Explain what any of that has to do with slavery.

Also, are you ignoring just how much work is involved in tribal life and how quickly the tribe dies if they don't do it, or if it goes wrong? Damn, not enough rain, STARVATION. Damn, too much rain, STARVATION. Damn, a bear killed our two best hunters, STARVATION.

We work far too many hours in the week at present but it's a choice. Think about how much money people are spending on entertainment or prepared food and consider how few hours you'd have to work to maintain a sustenance level lifestyle, as if you were in a tribe hundreds of years ago. You know, if that's really what you want, you could probably buy a plot of land on the outskirts of some small town and work a day or two a week to pay for food and maintenance on the shack you live in. That is an option that is available to you. People do that.

The thing about slavery is that it doesn't come with options, you don't get to pick from a menu. People work long hours because they want the things that you get with the money you earn. Or, they have a family to support and want a certain standard for that family, which is a choice.

Personally, think the video was silly, and using the word slavery was misleading.

Debt slavery is slavery. Working for someone else while they do nothing is slavery. A farmer not allowed to grow their own seeds is slavery (Monsanto.) Slavery exists. We just have more creature comforts so we don't mind as much. But it's slavery. Just like we are forced to obey man made laws rather than natural laws which is the marker for tribal societies, nature and not man laws. We are forced to get social security cards. If I want to marry my wife I need a license from the state and so on. Being a part of this society means by default we must acquiesce to a preordained financial system (capitalism) and live under a government that can defy state laws if it wants. The jobs and companies that arise from this system of control are all part of the pyramid system of control. We most are debt slaves to this system. I understand your argument if i want to live on the outskirts and such and if I want this job rather than that one I have that option but that ignores the fact I still must be a part of the system. The system of tribal society is obey nature, use nature and thrive. That's it. That is the point I am making and the same point in the video. Getting a different job gives us the illusion we are free to do what we want but it's ian illusion. We are still forced to be a part of the system which does not exist in tribal societies.

Being a cog in the system = slavery
Being a part of a tribal society where nature itself confounds you = freedom from oppression. Maybe a hard life but freedom from oppression and exploitation none the less.

To answer your other question even in our society we rely on rain so I don't really get your point in that regard. And I don't believe your point saying that a tribal society is a ton of work. It's not. You can do some of your own research on current tribal societies and the good far outweighs the bad. These people don't live stress filled lives and there are no man made laws to oppress them. It's a freeing lifestyle that is the polar opposite of sitting at a desk, being a debt slave and working for a corporation that is controlling politicians that are passing the next laws that will oppress you even more. There is a helpless feeling in that scenario that can become debilitating and often does for some people. Xanax exists for a reason.

Well, they've got us working for currency that can be printed out of thin air. There is the illusion of free choice provided by the democratic system, to keep everyone from revolting.

In some ways we are slaves to the economic and governmental system we are born into, where those at the top of the hierarchy harvest this energy.

"But my boss makes me come to work at 8:30! Slave driver!" Do you get whipped if you don't turn up? Do you then have to turn up anyway? Do you get killed if you continue to not turn up? "I don't like doing what I voluntarily agreed to do because it's boring and annoying and doesn't fulfil me as a magnificent individual snowflake that I know deep inside I am" is different to "I do this or I am killed. Those are my two options."
Go ahead and read my last two responses it should offer some perspective which I believe counters your thinking.

Go ahead and read my last two responses it should offer some perspective which I believe counters your thinking.

I understand you dislike the current system. I may agree or disagree. Nevertheless, you cannot call the current system slavery because you want an emotive word to reflect just how much you dislike it. Slavery is a particular sort of thing. Feudalism is a different thing. What we have now is a different sort of thing again.

Back