Are MLS (soccer players) better paid than UFC fighters? Salaries inside

Chivas GDL

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This are the top MLS earners.(year salary)

Screenshot_2017-08-20-17-38-46.png
(Wtf is Michael Bradley doing there?)

So the MLS has 28 players making over 1 million a year. Are the 10 or so UFC champions making over a million?

Screenshot_2017-08-20-17-39-50.png

The lowest salary is 53000 a year and those are players that really dont see much action.

Screenshot_2017-08-20-17-47-38.png

As I don't live in the US my question is what is more popular MLS or the UFC?

Do you think UFC could guarantee 53000 to the lowest earning fighters as the MLS does to its 600 players?

Also what is selling better? The MLS jerseys or the UFC reebok fight gear.

Not surprising. Soccer players are the most talented athletes on earth, even on a not so traditional football country like the USA.

Kaká for instance is a legit A-level athlete, blessed with god-tier genetics and skills. He could definitely make a UFC title run, if he were so inclined

kaka-boxe.png

Are you surprised Kaka or Pirlo can get few millions dollars per year? Both were huge stars in Europe and great athletes, they won't play for 50k per season.

lol MLS is a bottom of the barrel sport in the US too

MLS is more popular. In fact, soccer is more popular than MMA. There was international club tournaments going on in the USA recently, and the stadiums were packed.

These are foreigners playing in the USA, and look how packed the stadium is. If you have a bunch of brazilians and non-Americans fighting for the UFC in Vegas, I doubt you sell out the T-Mobile arena.

that's cuz UFC takes a chunk of money and then the rest to fighters

franchised sports leagues doesn't really work like that anymore, a lot of NBA teams for example are just breaking even or lose money, but there's revenue sharing to help. Plus the actual value of the franchises are also growing.

on top of that normal sports teams have collective bargaining agreements and player's union, what does UFC have, every fighter have to negotiate themselves

Not surprising. Soccer players are the most talented athletes on earth, even on a not so traditional football country like the USA.

Kaká for instance is a legit A-level athlete, blessed with god-tier genetics and skills. He could definitely make a UFC title run, if he were so inclined

kaka-boxe.png

Man....you'll start a sh*t storm.

The NFL/NBA size queens are coming for you in 3, 2, 1.....

MLS is more popular. In fact, soccer is more popular than MMA. There was international club tournaments going on in the USA recently, and the stadiums were packed.

These are foreigners playing in the USA, and look how packed the stadium is. If you have a bunch of brazilians and non-Americans fighting for the UFC in Vegas, I doubt you sell out the T-Mobile arena.

Are you on mushrooms?

Conor is from Ireland and Aldo is from Brazil. They sold out their show with the second highest recorded gate in UFC history. Two 'foreigners' fighting in the USA. Nobody cares about country of origin in fighting.

Regarding MLS, its far and away the least popular professional sport here. If you showed up at my office tomorrow and offered $10,000 cash if anyone could name a SINGLE professional soccer player in the MLS, no one would win. We have an MLS team nearby and I honestly can't even recall the name of the team.

Americans are obsessed with the NFL and college football.

Well it all starts with the revenue that is brought in because soccer stadiums can sell a lot more seats with a lot more fans plus the TV deals. The avg UFC fight has 15,000 people. I don't know why people don't get it,you can not pay all these crazy salaries when half the events do not draw a million dollar gate. I remember Donald Cerrone complaining about only making 200k and the event he headlined did not make a million dollars at the gate so after promoting etc they might have broke even. If a car salesman has 5 cars to sale and at the end of the week he sales 1 he gets a shitty check but the guy that sales 5 gets paid it simple economics

Why would they guarantee that much to the lower tier? Why do you care?

kaka-boxe.png
1. youre ghay
2. chin/cranium too small. can't take damage

Well it all starts with the revenue that is brought in because soccer stadiums can sell a lot more seats with a lot more fans plus the TV deals. The avg UFC fight has 15,000 people. I don't know why people don't get it,you can not pay all these crazy salaries when half the events do not draw a million dollar gate. I remember Donald Cerrone complaining about only making 200k and the event he headlined did not make a million dollars at the gate so after promoting etc they might have broke even. If a car salesman has 5 cars to sale and at the end of the week he sales 1 he gets a shitty check but the guy that sales 5 gets paid it simple economics

Because professional sports make the real money from broadcast rights.

As is pointed out here, one of the reasons MLS loses over a hundred million dollars a year, is nobody watches it on television. The fact that 80% of revenues come from ticket sales - which are the cheapest tickets in professional sports - is why they are upside down.

We've seen Zuffa's EBITA prior to the sale. They were making ~132million in profit in 2015.

Cowboy was wondering how the company makes over a hundred million dollars in profits but pays him peanuts. His argument wasn't related to the gate.

Because professional sports make the real money from broadcast rights.

As is pointed out here, one of the reasons MLS loses over a hundred million dollars a year, is nobody watches it on television. The fact that 80% of revenues come from ticket sales - which are the cheapest tickets in professional sports - is why they are upside down.

We've seen Zuffa's EBITA prior to the sale. They were making ~132million in profit in 2015.

Cowboy was wondering how the company makes over a hundred million dollars in profits but pays him peanuts. His argument wasn't related to the gate.
They don't base it off that, would it be fair for Cerrone to Benefit from Conor McGregors draw? No they go by the events not at the end of the year base fighter salaries off the years profits. Like I said the ford dealership does not base a salesman's salary off the Gross profit margin they base it off how many cars he sales. Basically the same thing

Back