Are kids really getting both physically and mentally weaker every generation?

Thanks for the phrase. I'm gonna use it in the next Jordan Peterson thread to describe everything he says.

But I generally agree with you: appealing to extremes is a wrong thing to do (as rhetorically convenient as it may be). So let's back it up.

You said an "easier life makes less capable individuals." Presumably, the inverse, then would also be true.

So can you show me the evidence that demonstrates individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds generally end up more "capable" than individuals from privileged backgrounds?

You said, it's "not even debatable," so presumably you've got some pretty good data to back that point up.

I'm all ears.
It's probably safe to assume that you understood exactly what I meant, but sure I'll rephrase my post for you. I misspoke and what I meant was "a very easy life makes for less capable people." The same could certainly be applied to a very hard life, but that's not what I was talking about. As I previously stated, there will always be exceptions who are particularly curious or ambitious whether due to nature, good parenting, or both, but it's a generally accepted concept that need is a primary driving force for innovation. People who don't need anything and aren't the exceptional few get to be the stereotypical image of an overweight American watching TV for 30 hours per week.

LMFAO @ acting like that was the typical PE class in the 60s...That was just 1 single school.

and this was the 60s, when we were fighting the Soviet Union and roids were a new thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if all those kids were given some roids....knowing the USA government, specially at that time.

Triggered fatty confirmed~

Did you have to grab your oxygen mask after typing all that?

Without a doubt, physically we were stronger 50 60 years ago. Todays youth has more knowledge. A give and take of a society.

That's crazy if most middle school kids can't do a pull up or push-up. When I was in school, we had fitness evaluations all the way up to 9th grade. In 9th grade, I did 60 or more pushups in the allotted one minute testing period. Same with sit-ups as well. We never had to do pull-ups, but I know for a fact I could have done plenty. My numbers were nothing special by the way, at least a dozen others matched my numbers and at least one guy beat me consistently by a few reps each year. I don't really recall a single kid not being able to do a push-up by the way, not even the couple of overweight ones. I seem to think they all did at least 10-15.
Well they can do grandma pushups. Not real ones with a full ROM. They are doing shrugs or whatever not pushups. Sad stuff.
Had gym yesterday. 5 7th graders all passed out suddenly . One was legit the others just wanted attention. Had to carry them to the nurses office. All were fine later, like nothing happened. Kids are mentally weak imho

You hear this all the time, but do you think the average 13 year old boy that grew up in say the the 1950's was tougher than an average kid that age that grew up in the 1980's? Was the average kid that age in the 1980's tougher than the average kid that age now days?

Every generation seems to think the next up and coming generation is nothing but a bunch of pussies, but is there any truth to this? I can't speak for generations past mine, but as someone that grew up in the 80's and early 90's, I can say without a doubt that the average kid was in better physical shape before the gaming and information age. We played some Nintendo, and I do remember AOL, but most kids at least in the 1980's spent the majority of their time outside. Add to this that kids ate much better back then. Their was always a few fat kids in every classroom in school, but it wasn't like it is today where about a 3rd of the kids are soft.

Fighting and aggression was more acceptable back then too. You weren't as protected from bullies, and it was still somewhat acceptable for a male teacher or coach to tell you to stick up for yourself. You weren't as babied, and kids in general were given more responsibility, so I think kids were mentally a little tougher on average 30 years ago too.

Maybe this all could be countered with the fact that kids are slightly bigger these days. The kids that actually do engage in sports seem to be getting bigger faster, and stronger. I look at some of the times and marks at the HS state track meets, and they're more impressive. I see more kids that are soft, but I also see more kids that are jacked at a young age. I don't remember seeing too many 8th or 9th graders that could bench press 200lbs, but at my nephew's middle school, there are like 10 guys on the 200lb board. One of them is putting up 260lbs at 15 years old and my nephew says the kid is only like 170lbs. That's crazy.

So what do you think? Are kids on the AVERAGE getting weaker, or is it just a myth?
thumbnail_IMG_7571.jpg
Yeah

Back