Are kids not that great?

Jesus christ, this thread again....Kids are difficult but god damn it its great to create a family that loves you unconditionally. Its the same way dog lovers feel that their animals see them; except the dog will die in 15 years and wont be there to change your diapers or visit you when you are old as fuck. And as far as not being able to travel when you have kids, bullshit, my wife and I travel all the time with our kids, you just have to set priorities on how you want to spend money and what's important to you and your family.
They act as if families going on vacation only happens in the movies. Sure, you're not going to take little kids mountain climbing never mind that most adults don't even consider going mountain climbing.
Some of the hostility from posters makes one wonder how their own parents treated them - maybe their parents were indifferent to them, paid little or no attention to anything they did while growing up, told them they sucked, ruined their lives by having kids, etc.

In the vein of vacations, same with going out, "Can't go out anymore because of kids." That is what babysitters are for.

Because I can know that raising a kid is more of a pain in the ass than I want to deal with, without having them. I don't have to eat dog shit to know I don't want to eat it.

So in your mind having a kid is like eating dog shit? Cool story bruh. Now imagine if your parents thought the same way.

LOL at someone with no kids commenting about having kids.

It's simply impossible for a person to understand what it's like to have kids without having gone through it. It's not something that can be described or put into words. Bottom line, don't listen to childless people in regards to having kids.

Spot on. Morons with super strong opinions about what having a kid is like without ever having one.......are morons. Equating having kids to eating dog shit notwithstanding.

So in your mind having a kid is like eating dog shit? Cool story bruh. Now imagine if your parents thought the same way.
What a cop out. Either that, or you don't know how the fuck an analogy works.

I lump kids with marriage. I don't intrinsically want either...but if I were to find the right woman and be in the right situation, then I wouldn't be against them. If I never have them, I won't feel like I'm missing out.

I don't like unnecessary stress or workloads so that essentially takes kids off of my checklist. That and I kinda don't like where society is to bring another life into it, although for me as an adult I think it's the best time to be alive. Odd, I know.

What a cop out. Either that, or you don't know how the fuck an analogy works.

Not so much your analogy Einstein, more your choice of analogy. Guess you don't know how implications work.

And another thing, your analogy was terrible. Eating dog shit is universally accepted as disgusting because you are eating feces. Having children is hugely more subjective than that (newsflash, some people view kids as the most rewarding thing they have ever done - not many dog shit eaters say that now do they?)

So yes, you need to actually have kids before you know what the fuck you are talking about. And try a better analogy next time.

But in the childless folks' defense, some parents are obnoxious wit it.

Not so much your analogy Einstein, more your choice of analogy. Guess you don't know how implications work.

And another thing, your analogy was terrible. Eating dog shit is universally accepted as disgusting because you are eating feces. Having children is hugely more subjective than that (newsflash, some people view kids as the most rewarding thing they have ever done - not many dog shit eaters say that now do they?)

So yes, you need to actually have kids before you know what the fuck you are talking about. And try a better analogy next time.
No, you just don't know how analogies work. I must say, I'm shocked that someone of your vast intellect doesn't understand which subject in an analogy is actually the analogous one, and which is simply there to serve the analogy. Shocked I tell you.

For some people having sex with "prostitutes" in their late 40´s probably is maximizing happiness, but to maximize happiness is not living life, life is a lot more than instant gratification or money, life is about personal relations, having good friends, woman, wife, girlfriend and a family. Sleeping around is great but it gets old for everyone and after a certain age you won´t be picking the good looking girls unless they are in for the money, so the idea of conquest and flirting is out the window.

You are too young to understand how stupid you sound.

Good luck in life

Happiness is still a factor here. Personal relations are worthless unless they are good relationships, aka they are a positive influence on your life and contribute to your happiness.

If you end up with a wife who treats you like shit, you arent living life to its fullest.

Spot on. Morons with super strong opinions about what having a kid is like without ever having one.......are morons. Equating having kids to eating dog shit notwithstanding.

No one is born a parent. You have to have some idea of what it is like before making the decision to become one. It's irresponsible not to.

I'm 37. I love my nephews and nieces and that's good enough for me. I create the positive memories with them and relinquished from any responsibility that would contribute to their negative experiences through discipline. Overall, I just enjoy the freedom to do anything I want at any time without being tied down with raising children. Plus the financial aspect of raising children is an extreme downside IMO. I guess everyone is different, but I just don't see it for me.

Pretty much me to a T. I love the current role I have in my extended family as being cool uncle WandySaku, with his cool, fun stories of his experiences. If I want to enjoy those times fishing, going to games, etc., I can just borrow my sisters' kids.

On a slightly more serious level, I'd rather, or feel it's better overall, to continue learning and experiencing life and other cultures, etc. and then divulging that on to the numerous kids that already exist in my family in order to help them becoming better humans, instead of being constrained by my own, limiting the things I could be doing/learning. It could be said that my choice to not have a child is more selfless than selfish.

That's such a load of shit. I have a sister who has a kid, friends who have kids, and coworkers who have kids. I can make a judgement about whether or not I want them based on what they tell me about it alone. You don't have to have kids in order to figure out you don't want them.
You can make all the judgements you want. You still don't have any idea what it is like to have them. Making a decision not to have them and knowing what it is like to have them are two different things. If you are happy in life and do not want kids or change, I am absolutely on board with that. I am in no way saying you are wrong for not wanting them or making that decision. I am simply saying you do not know and never will know the inherent parts and emotions of having a kid.

There is an unconditional love and feeling of fulfillment to your own children the majority of good parents feel that cannot possibly be understood by those without a child.

People with Pets they love and adore and would protect at all costs and will be devastated if they died have a tiny tiny fraction of the understanding what it is to have your own child.

They act as if families going on vacation only happens in the movies. Sure, you're not going to take little kids mountain climbing never mind that most adults don't even consider going mountain climbing.
Some of the hostility from posters makes one wonder how their own parents treated them - maybe their parents were indifferent to them, paid little or no attention to anything they did while growing up, told them they sucked, ruined their lives by having kids, etc.

In the vein of vacations, same with going out, "Can't go out anymore because of kids." That is what babysitters are for.
Did some people actually make that argument?

The ones making that argument probably work a minimum wage job.

. You still don't have any idea what it is like to have them.

I have some idea what it's like. Do I have as much an idea as a parent? No. But saying I have no idea. I mean, just read how many of you are repeating that same phrase verbatim. Have you ever taken the time to really think about it? Why would I just understand absolutely nothing about what is involved in being a parent? Everyone has some idea. So to say I have "no idea" is just stupid.

Why does it matter so much to everyone that they "prove" I have no idea what it's like to be a parent? The fact that this is so important to you guys is very telling.

I'd use an analogy to explain it, but that one guy would just fuck it up again.

Kids are awesome.

But not something for the faint hearted.

More work and more enjoyment than you could realise if you don't have them.

I have some idea what it's like. Do I have as much an idea as a parent? No. But saying I have no idea. I mean, just read how many of you are repeating that same phrase verbatim. Have you ever taken the time to really think about it? Why would I just understand absolutely nothing about what is involved in being a parent? Everyone has some idea. So to say I have "no idea" is just stupid.

Why does it matter so much to everyone that they "prove" I have no idea what it's like to be a parent? The fact that this is so important to you guys is very telling.

You have an idea of the daily motions of having a kid and the fondness of having a niece or nephew, but are incapable of knowing the unconditional love and fulfillment gained only by having your own child.

And that is not a hit on you, its just simple fact.

As to "Why does it matter to everyone to ""Prove"" you have no idea", well, your opening statement was why.

Parents never stfu about their kids. It's annoying. No, they aren't that great, which is why I chose never to have kids. Well, that and a million other reasons.
And then you went further by saying
Of course they say that. Would they really admit to themselves, or you, that it was a mistake and they hate it? That's a mistake that comes with an 18 year commitment at least. People have a hard enough time admitting they were in the wrong if they rear end someone.

Both of which are strong erroneous statements from someone who has never experienced the unconditional love and fulfillment of having their own child. We (The majority of us) actually love being parents and the kids are the center of our universe and it is a fulfillment unlike any other experience.

If you've had kids, you get it. If you haven't, then you don't. It's that simple. For sure don't talk to people without kids about your kids, cause they won't get it, and they don't want to hear that shit.

I was always real meh about kids. Always thought sure, I'd like to have kids one day, but definitely in no hurry, cause I like having fun and doing what I want whenever the F I want. Then whoopsy, I have a 10 month old son now. I know it sounds cliche as fuck, but my entire perspective changed after he was born. Now I barely have time to do the shit I used to like doing, and all my free time is spent with him for the most part. The weird thing is, I like it. It's not even than I don't mind it cause he's my son, I mean I actually have fun doing shit with/for him. It's not something anyone will ever get until they have kids, and once they do, no explanation is required.

Many people thought they had an idea and then realised they didn't.

People who have kids had 9 months to think long and hard about what it will be like. In most cases they guessed wrong.

Last edited:
I am in no way saying you are wrong for not wanting them or making that decision. I am simply saying you do not know and never will know the inherent parts and emotions of having a kid.
Good. I've never wanted that in my life.

While you're stuck cleaning up piss and shit from a dirty diaper at 2 am on a work day or spending your weekends watching dumbass kids try to play baseball, I'll be sleeping in on the weekends and never get glared at while I sit at a restaurant while your shitty kids yell and screan and bother everyone.

Good. I've never wanted that in my life.

While you're stuck cleaning up piss and shit from a dirty diaper at 2 am on a work day or spending your weekends watching dumbass kids try to play baseball, I'll be sleeping in on the weekends and never get glared at while I sit at a restaurant while your shitty kids yell and screan and bother everyone.
Good for you

If that's what you want(or don't want)

But all you see or quote is the bad part you see of it.

The part that baffles you is you hear and see all these supposed "Bad things" about having kids and the majority of parents still say "its worth it".

You find it unbelievable(or at least, Jack Reacharound seems to since he said we must be lying and unwilling to admit it is a mistake) and don't understand how we can be so happy and fulfilled with Kids despite all the work and annoyances. Because you are incapable of understanding the happiness above all else they bring us that outweighs all that stuff. Nobody who hasn't had a kid is capable of understanding it.

Back