are HOAs that bad?

C0NCH3TO

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
hey guys....so i live in ny and i dont have to deal with any home owners association but now I am interested in buying a property in florida and it is virtually impossible to find one that doesnt belong to a hoa. I've heard god awful things about hoas and other ppl have told me that is not as bad as they put it out to be, thought they still wish they didnt have one. Do you deal with a hoa? ...If so, how is that going?

You own your property in name, but they decide what you do to it

It depends on the individual community. Many of them have a retired cop or retired drill sergeant volunteering to enforce the bylaws, and they can be really annoying to deal with.

Like most things, some are good, some are trash.

They are just unavoidable.

They keep the riffraff out. My part of the city has HoAs all over. It keeps the ghetto out of the area.

Necessary evil if you have to live in a community comprised of small lots, just hope the evil isn’t on the nazi side. For the most part mow your lawn, keep the house up, don’t plan on keeping extra stuff like boats, campers, trailers, project cars in the driveway.

And if you do get cross with them know that they get to use your money to fight you.

I have all the shit I listed and have never had an issue with a HOA, we take care of our stuff and don’t want bums living around us

hey guys....so i live in ny and i dont have to deal with any home owners association but now I am interested in buying a property in florida and it is virtually impossible to find one that doesnt belong to a hoa. I've heard god awful things about hoas and other ppl have told me that is not as bad as they put it out to be, thought they still wish they didnt have one. Do you deal with a hoa? ...If so, how is that going?

Are most of the available properties in Florida the common interest development type like gated communities?

In general I'm not a fan, but it depends on the CC&Rs, costs, and services. In what ways are you restricted? What are the penalties? How much are your HOA fees, and what services and amenities do you get with your membership. My preference is to not be in an HOA but I've seen good and bad.

My parents have a HOA, they're easy enough to deal with it. Do what you signed up for when you bought and there's no problem. The other solution is what my folks do when they don't feel like listening to other people. They get elected to the board as President and never harass themselves.

My dad will do a term then my mom will run for the next term. It's probably more work than just doing as you're asked but I come from a long line of people who like to run shit instead of having our shit ran, even if it's just the illusion of control, lol.

I used to think hoas were an absolute deal breaker.

until i bought a house with bad neighbors and sold the house.

i would still avoid them my next go around, but i can absolutely see the need for them.

I'm okay with them and have never had issues. As wow said, keeps the riff raff in all its forms out.

They keep the riffraff out. My part of the city has HoAs all over. It keeps the ghetto out of the area.
you mean black people ..at least be honest..you dont like black people and you dont want them as neighbors :)

HOA's are for lily white people who are scared of their own shadows and seem "hoods" around every corner

Just imagine how insane Florida would look without HOAs. I dont really like them, but just imagine.

Back