Are heavy bag stands really that bad?

Joe Rogan's Kettlebell

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just found a stand that also has the attachment for a speed bag.

It's at my local used sports goods store for $70.

I'm moving my boxing equipment to my back room which has a ceiling but t doesn't have beams.

Is there a way to hang it on the ceiling with no beams? Or should I go with that stand?

This is the stand for reference

48936e54-fcb0-40df-824d-1455bd23d844_1.afa77206d58d9c1ae41a3dc91d726d5f.jpeg

Just found a stand that also has the attachment for a speed bag.

It's at my local used sports goods store for $70.

I'm moving my boxing equipment to my back room which has a ceiling but t doesn't have beams.

Is there a way to hang it on the ceiling with no beams? Or should I go with that stand?

This is the stand for reference

48936e54-fcb0-40df-824d-1455bd23d844_1.afa77206d58d9c1ae41a3dc91d726d5f.jpeg
No beams at all?

Use a stud finder and invest in a heavy bag ceiling mount that absorbs shock. Personally, I would not spend $70 on that stand...

its a backroom with a different ceiling, no beams at all
I suppose if there is no real ceiling support, then you have no other option than to use a heavy bag stand or wall mount. (I'd prefer the wall mount to the stand, but I have never installed one.)

Heavy bag stands suck because:

They move, a lot, since there's 60-100+ pounds swinging from a pendulum in the middle.

The speed bag platform wobbles since it's stability is controlled by a hollow metal tube.

They limit the angles you can take on the bag. You're essentially attacking it either straight on or at best a 45 degree angle.

If you don't want them to move, you have to invest in more weights, and that could be another 50-100$.

How does the back room not have any beams? If it's got a roof, something has to be providing it stability and framing. Is it just a raised ceiling and you don't want to mess with the ceiling tiles?

Also, a wall mount is definitely your better option. Find a wall stud or get some damn good masonry anchors and have at it.

Back