Are frozen fruits nutritious?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by nick jacoby, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:36 AM.

1. nick jacoby Green Belt

nick jacoby
    I eat alot of frozen berries.

Do they pack a healthy dose of nutrition or do they lose something in freezing?

2. hyu244 White Belt

hyu244
    They lose some nutrients, but they also have the benefit that they can be picked and stored at peak ripeness so in general I wouldn't be concerned about losing too much nutritional value.

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  3. wufabufa Purple Belt

wufabufa
    I do too.

Fresh fruit is likely the better option but frozen fruit can still retain a lot of their nutrients. One advantage that frozen fruit/vegetables have is that they are often able to be picked at their ripest since they're frozen so quickly and there is little chance of spoilage. A disadvantage is that whatever pesticides are still on the frozen produce don't degrade as quickly as they can be preserved right along with the fruit.

Fresh produce is exposed to UV light and variations in temperature which help degrade any chemical residues left over from the growing process.

4. FinalFight Black Belt

FinalFight
    Frozen vegetables apparently hold in most of the nutrients so I imagine it might be similar with fruit.