Are Friends Over-rated?

The problem most of you have is that you insert yourself into situations where you feel like people will be pleased by your presence and you will have a platform to produce fun from thin air and have the existential moment where you connect with someone who likes and feels for you.

I've got a really tight-knit group of friends and we all like similar shit and have similar hobbies, but with enough difference to constantly challenge and learn from one another. The important part is that we all do shit together that we'd be comfortable doing alone. It's not one big co-depedency party. Sometimes we'll be lounging around 6-7 people deep and all be doing different shit. One is on his phone, one is playing his switch, the other is on the xbox, one is on the computer showing everyone stupid shit they read on sherdog, one is flipping through a book.

That's what i don't get about this disdain for millenials and how they "Don't connect" because while yes, it's strange that a bunch of people can go to a bar and all be on their phones, there's this organic sense of bonding that comes from being "alone together". Person 2 sees something on their phone they know person 5 loves, and person 1 gets a kill with person 3's favorite gun. Person 5 reads a line in a book they know Person 1 would enjoy. On and on.

I used to party a lot as a vegas local, especially in my teens and you like create these big parties or gatherings where everyone is just fucking glued to everyone and the manic energy of expectation is driving everyone to be louder, bolder, more intense, but honestly you know what the best feeling at a party is? When you get someone alone and you guys just sit down in a quiet area and talk. It's a type of connection you don't feel in those staged party situations where you feel like there is an audience and you're performing. You have to have your lines rehearsed and say them perfectly. It's annoying, boring and depressing.

I've done some crazy shit and had awesome parties at big hotels, MGM, Palms, Cosmopoitan, all that shit you dream about posting to your IG story, but damn dude, i would be driving home and wind up at my front door just kind of...bummed. Even if I hooked up with someone or did something cool or funny or got that bacherlorette party to show us their tits from the ground floor while we were in one of the top suites, it's just like...why tho?

I've never just driven home from hanging with my best friends just bullshitting around at a bar, or even sitting in the bed of someone's truck at a Del Taco til 4 in the morning talking about each other's exes and thought anything negative.

You get me @Goonerview ? Did I make any sense?

Real friends become family. I got laid off a few months ago. All my good deeds came back from my friends. One loaned me a car, one set me up with an interview. One bought me a super bowl box to cheer me up and it hit for 5000. We go away all the time together. We have fun. Friends are everything.

Also, cliffs for anyone who doesn't want to read that:

279.jpg

ahahahaha

After a handful, yeah, you're spreading yourself pretty thin. Take a look around and if the friendship is only beneficial to one side, it's time to slide out of frame. After around 28, you're unlikely to make any more good friends that you hang out with a lot. One or both of you should probably have other responsibilities.

You have shitty friends and most likely thats a reflection of who you are or were

No, friends are great. A common thing that I've seen in this thread is how "hobbies" are listed as one of the things prohibiting making/having friends, but for me, that is the exact opposite. Choose social hobbies, and you won't be able to help but make friends unless you're actively trying not to.

The problem most of you have is that you insert yourself into situations where you feel like people will be pleased by your presence and you will have a platform to produce fun from thin air and have the existential moment where you connect with someone who likes and feels for you.

I've got a really tight-knit group of friends and we all like similar shit and have similar hobbies, but with enough difference to constantly challenge and learn from one another. The important part is that we all do shit together that we'd be comfortable doing alone. It's not one big co-depedency party. Sometimes we'll be lounging around 6-7 people deep and all be doing different shit. One is on his phone, one is playing his switch, the other is on the xbox, one is on the computer showing everyone stupid shit they read on sherdog, one is flipping through a book.

That's what i don't get about this disdain for millenials and how they "Don't connect" because while yes, it's strange that a bunch of people can go to a bar and all be on their phones, there's this organic sense of bonding that comes from being "alone together". Person 2 sees something on their phone they know person 5 loves, and person 1 gets a kill with person 3's favorite gun. Person 5 reads a line in a book they know Person 1 would enjoy. On and on.

I used to party a lot as a vegas local, especially in my teens and you like create these big parties or gatherings where everyone is just fucking glued to everyone and the manic energy of expectation is driving everyone to be louder, bolder, more intense, but honestly you know what the best feeling at a party is? When you get someone alone and you guys just sit down in a quiet area and talk. It's a type of connection you don't feel in those staged party situations where you feel like there is an audience and you're performing. You have to have your lines rehearsed and say them perfectly. It's annoying, boring and depressing.

I've done some crazy shit and had awesome parties at big hotels, MGM, Palms, Cosmopoitan, all that shit you dream about posting to your IG story, but damn dude, i would be driving home and wind up at my front door just kind of...bummed. Even if I hooked up with someone or did something cool or funny or got that bacherlorette party to show us their tits from the ground floor while we were in one of the top suites, it's just like...why tho?

I've never just driven home from hanging with my best friends just bullshitting around at a bar, or even sitting in the bed of someone's truck at a Del Taco til 4 in the morning talking about each other's exes and thought anything negative.

You get me @Goonerview ? Did I make any sense?
Why have you never invited me to these hotel orgys?

When you're around a group of guys, they'll bust your balls and make fun of you. And I assume the advice you were looking for is most likely regarding a woman, judging by your previous threads.

Even more reason to bust your balls.

If you're looking for real advice or to really vent, talk to these people one on one and you'll notice a huge difference.

The mob/pack mentality is real, once the ball gets rolling it never ends. Just know that they are your friends and are just having fun at your expense.

But if you're really looking for answers talk to them one on one, or like you mentioned go to your family for that sort of stuff

Summed up your essay for the people who don't want to read it all.
This is lazier and more boring than Your usually funny responses. I got excited when i see "horse style quoted your post" only to be disappointed

You just need to find the right friend to hang with. It sounds like Jack Daniels has been a very loyal friend to you this whole time. Don't be a prick and turn your back on him now
H
Jack always took too long telling stories n shit. Admiral Nelson always planned things out tho. They would even go to plan sometimes too.

No. If they are real ride or die friends you can't put a price on that. I have 6 friends that I have all known for around 10 years, I see them all every month or 2 even if it's just meeting up for lunch but i know I can call them anytime and they'll help me out. I'd do the same for them.

You went to law school? I figured the shit you post in the WR you were at least elementary school education level.
Yawn. Losers who think their political affiliation makes them smart, and those who aren't brainwashed the same must be stupid. I have never seen you one time here, so you are either the worst shit-poster or using one of your many accounts. There are a couple people here that use a few accounts that would be on your side of the political spectrum.

I'm sure I would school you on any topic.

Real friends become family. I got laid off a few months ago. All my good deeds came back from my friends. One loaned me a car, one set me up with an interview. One bought me a super bowl box to cheer me up and it hit for 5000. We go away all the time together. We have fun. Friends are everything.

Yeah I miss this. I wish I had good friends, but I don't.

My friends I grew up with went away when I got depressed and had to quit drinking. I was popular. Depression that writes you out and quitting drinking like a recovering alcoholic right as you turn the legal age to drink is not the key to maintaining relationships lol. I drank a lot as a teen.

This is lazier and more boring than Your usually funny responses. I got excited when i see "horse style quoted your post" only to be disappointed
Don't try to be all uppity and act like that Chris Farley gif didn't make you chuckle

Back