Are Friends Over-rated?

BTW as you grow older you'll notice your circle of close friends will grow smaller and smaller.

There's a very small group of people I go to for advice.
There are friends and then there are "friends" (I call them acquaintances). Social media has really fucked around the terminology on what a friend actually is. If they won't come over and help you move, how much of a friend are they?

I rather quantity over quality. Good friends we can live across the world from one another and still pick up like we left off. Yet I meet up with the casual friends I've known for years and after the small talk is exhausted I find we have nothing to say to each other.

Also, cliffs for anyone who doesn't want to read that:

279.jpg

There is an element of truth here. Getting drunk and having casual sex with people i don't know is kinda boring and not interesting to me anymore.

Im not frustrated. I see you talking down to people a lot. Youre a bitch and a bully, and I dont like you.
<36>

No one cares what you like, you whiny bitch. Not even the person you're defending. Go cry into a pillow

Kind of funny because I wanted to start a thread on friendship. You don't have the right friends if you feel like friends as a concept is overrated. That's an odd thought to have.

The good friends I have offer valuable insights and are just awesome people to be around with. I've had some "useless" friends who offered me nothing other than a chance to test my patience. It's better to cut them out or reduce your time around them.

I remember meeting some friends about a month ago, I asked them for some advice regarding a situation I was in at the time and by the end of it all, I felt ridiculed and just not good ... And none the wiser as to what to do ...

I met with some old friends last night, I felt bored and couldn't wait to get home and clean my room, read some books.

Despite this, I find that I don't feel lonely because I'm working towards my life goals. My goals excite me and I'm really working on them everyday.

I find friends to be a bit of a distraction. They are cool and ok to hang with occasionally, but now when I have dilemmas I talk to family members who never ridicule me and would actually listen to me, offer council and support me no matter what.

I don't know, sometimes I think maintaining some friendships is a waste of time/money/energy.

I feel like I'm making better life decisions everyday and becoming a man that I admire and that's more important that "cheap pleasures".

What you're describing is simply becoming an adult, where friends are less vital and omnipresent compared to when you were a kid.

Being a part of a dedicated peer group, or group of friends is something we do when we're young - making friends in school, playing/hanging out after school/college/partying, and learning about the facts of life together - where we have none of the pressures or pursuits of adulthood, which are solitary pursuits. Becoming an adult means largely disassembling that social function and these things become surplus to requirements.

Truly good friends you'll still stay acquainted with, but soon you'll get a wife/girlfriend, start a family and those things will be just a memory/on the periphery of your life.

Relax. Is normal

No idea how people have time for more than just a couple of REAL friends. Time simply does not allow it.
This basically. Once you're out of High School, you realize, between a job/college, moving out and everyone else basically doing the same thing, moving in with their significant others, etc, people don't have the time for alot of friends anymore.

Last time I was at a big party was Halloween(house parties aren't my jam anymore anyway), that's when people get together with large amounts of friends and acquaintances, only a handful of times a year.
There are friends and then there are "friends" (I call them acquaintances). Social media has really fucked around the terminology on what a friend actually is. If they won't come over and help you move, how much of a friend are they?

I rather quantity over quality. Good friends we can live across the world from one another and still pick up like we left off. Yet I meet up with the casual friends I've known for years and after the small talk is exhausted I find we have nothing to say to each other.
This aswell.

Having 1000 friends on Facebook means nothing, 90% are just acquaintances.

No one has time for so many people.

Wife = 1
Kids = 3
Job = 1
Friends = 0

Personally, I like that score.

I enjoy being alone. Even when the elf comes over, I like it better when she stays a few hours and leaves instead of spending the night. I'd rather sleep alone. Living alone means I do what I want when I want and don't have to worry about what anyone else wants.

I prefer contact on Email or social media because I can reply whenever I want.

My only friends are the girls i bang and my kids, really. A couple people I went to law school with.

Are you talking about real friends or are you talking about fake friends

Real friends will stick by you no matter what and always look to help you out

Fake friends only hang out when you have money or drugs
This.

Get better friends.

And no, nothing wrong with growing apart from friends; they might be headed down a different path. But really try to find like-minded friends. No one can live alone for an extended period of time and stay sane.

Very true. I got a few friends like that- who I won't see for years and i'll go down to their house and visit them and pick up where we left off.

There is an element of truth here. Getting drunk and having casual sex with people i don't know is kinda boring and not interesting to me anymore.
Gets old real quick, huh? Youre just entering a different phase of your life. Theres nothing sadder than a middle aged man hitting up bars and clubs trying to pick up chicks.

So TS comes from the generation of here is your trophy for showing up to the game "I don't like when people disagree with me, I go to my family because they say everything I do is right"...

FO/KY...

The older you get the fewer friends you have. Work, wife, kids, hobbies, different interests, whatever else, takes all your time.

The few friends I do have left I get to see them maybe every 3,4,5 months.

Did you notice this when you started talking seriously about supporting Donald Trump for president? That might have been a factor.

I have awesome friends, but like most people here, only a few close ones that I go to for support. Most of my close friends I met through common interests/activities, so most of my time with them is spent participating in those activities (skateboarding, snowboarding, mma).

Sounds like you have shitty friends.

Or as someone else noted, if you seem to have the same complaints about everyone you become friends with, maybe it's you who's the problem.

Or maybe you're just antisocial and prefer to be alone. Nothing necessarily wrong with that either.

But a small circle of close, supportive friends is definitely an asset imo.

Back