Are Fake News and economic inequality going to screw the world?

Rod1

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
I mean people are angry nowadays, they are angry in every single country in the world.

But the way social media works, people's anger is being easily manipulated into whatever any actor wishes to.

Here in Mexico we chose a leftist leader and gave him supermajority in every aspect, the good thing is that said leftist leader is doubling down on establishing a new republic based on the values of XIX century liberalism, so we can breathe relief.

But his party is filled with communists and he could easily end up being one, so what do you do in these instances? Ortega seems determined to stay in power, Venezuela is a shithole, Evo wants to become a dictator, Europe is in political crisis.

China extends its tentacles all over Asia and Africa propping up dictators, and the more people get fucked over the angrier they are and the more vulnerable to fake news they are. People i consider educated spew such non-sense and such levels of fake news and dellusions that im afraid for the future.

/rant off

So what are your predictions for the future? liberal democracies take over an increasingly technological world, or authoritarian dystopias take over?

68227e38-759f-4196-ac4b-b1132d575f3d_text_hi.gif

Worse than fake news is a rejection of real news, or generally the belief that there's no truth, or no way to know it.

I don't know, but social media is definitely the lit wick to the powder keg.

A bit from an Australian comedian.

Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky.

Last edited:
So whats the difference between fake news and real news? Is there a relationship between the media and economic inequality?

I see the future largely run by corporate apparatchiks dressed up in different ways but fundamentally the same .

The cable news media is dying as the internet takes over. Fake news is a short term tactic to increase ratings at the expense of long term credibility. Since cable news is dying anyway, it may as well go for the short term dollar.

You need to share the wealth where it matters, to temper the worst impulses.

If people are facing an existential threat due to their relative lack of economic prosperity, then yes, they will be very angry and possibly capable of overthrowing "liberal democracy". If people are facing some problems that are still relatively easily overcome with a little effort, then they may be pissed off, but not angry to the point where they will over-throw the government.

People wanting some changes to the status quo, shouldn't be seen as threatening. The status quo always needs to change up a little bit, as people look for new solutions to old, on-going problems. Despite their best intents, the market liberals are not always capable of addressing such problems, because it might not be their primary objective. As with all political movements, one is bound to be zoned in on a particular set of issues.

For example, when a country is seeing an increase in crime, sometimes the liberal method can be very counter-productive. In the long-term, indeed, it would appear that increasing people's economic prosperity decreases crime in correlation with their greater prosperity, but when you become completely unwilling to even consider the possible short-term advantages of decreasing immigration, or increasing punishment in regards to certain type of crime, those long-term objectives may come to be unappreciated by the people who are dealing with the here and the now.

In short, you must keep in mind that you ought to acknowledge the population's current wishes, without necessarily abandoning the long-term objectives. Something that wasn't really being done successfully in places like Europe. The democratic alternatives were limited between "accept what's happening" or "fuck you, racist", which has righteously outraged a number of people.

Whenever you start thinking that you have a divine right to rule, just because you think that you're in possession of all the solutions, you set yourself up for failure.

Last edited:
So whats the difference between fake news and real news? Is there a relationship between the media and economic inequality?

Well, i had to explain a civil engineer why an independent central back is a good thing and not "submission to the international bank mafia" i even pointed out that lack of an independent central bank usually leads to getting in debt with said "bank mafia" and i got flooded with more and more fake news to a point where i think i lost another friend.

The heck my dad is an encyclopedia of fake news.

You need to share the wealth where it matters, to temper the worst impulses.

If people are facing an existential threat due to their relative lack of economic prosperity, then yes, they will be very angry and possibly capable of overthrowing "liberal democracy". If people are facing some problems that are still relatively easily overcome with a little effort, then they may be pissed off, but not angry to the point where they will over-throw the government.

People wanting some changes to the status quo, shouldn't be seen as threatening. The status quo always needs to change up a little bit, as people look for new solutions to old, on-going problems. Despite their best intents, the market liberals are not always capable of addressing such problems, because it might not be their primary objective. As with all political movements, one is bound to be zoned in on a particular set of issues.

For example, when a country is seeing an increase in crime, sometimes the liberal method can be very counter-productive. In the long-term, indeed, it would appear that increasing people's economic prosperity decreases crime in correlation with their greater prosperity, but when you become completely unwilling to even consider the possible short-term advantages of decreasing immigration, or increasing punishment in regards to certain type of crime, those long-term objectives may come to be unappreciated by the people who are dealing with the here and the now.

In short, you must keep in mind that you ought to acknowledge the population's current wishes, without necessarily abandoning the long-term objectives. Something that wasn't really being done successfully in places like Europe. The democratic alternatives were limited between "accept what's happening" or "fuck you, racist", which has righteously outraged a number of people.

Whenever you start thinking that you have a divine right to rule, just because you think that you're in possession of all the solutions, you set yourself up for failure.

The issue is that with voting people dont need to actually do anything to do damage, just fall for the fake news.

The real problems start when those that manipulated the people close the door to it.

Chavez was smart to use the massive oil boom of the 2000s and his cuban advisors to tighten the grip of the Venezuelan government and military to a degree that when people realized they were being fucked there was no possible resistance against it.

68227e38-759f-4196-ac4b-b1132d575f3d_text_hi.gif

Worse than fake news is a rejection of real news, or generally the belief that there's no truth, or no way to know it.
THe real news has been caught making fake news

Breitbart is not to be taken for cereal but it does matter when cnn or the New York Times puts out something fake. So whether it’s exploding fords or fake protestors it matters when legitimate news becomes click bait. Have you been on cnns site lately? Ass butter. Used to be the best news site little over a year ago. Now click bait and adds. Perhaps the 24 hour news cycle and cable news is dying and this is the last gasp. Be as extreme as possible so somebody will still watch you.

1984 will become the reality.
Will? Isn't it already with how people that work for Amazon are essentially tracked by their employer, Google Ad Sense catering the ads you see based on what you search, the NSA phone tap shit that Snowden exposed, the purges of fake accounts on Twitter (how they tell whether they're fake or not I'd be interested in knowing as people like Ray Lewis lost like half their followers in that), the algorithm that came out about Facebook deeming people quoting the Declaration of Independence as fake news....

Well, i had to explain a civil engineer why an independent central back is a good thing and not "submission to the international bank mafia" i even pointed out that lack of an independent central bank usually leads to getting in debt with said "bank mafia" and i got flooded with more and more fake news to a point where i think i lost another friend.

The heck my dad is an encyclopedia of fake news.

What is the difference between fake news and real news?

Independent third party confirmation.

How many of these "independent third parties" exist within the United States and what makes them independent of the major sources of news?

If you are a liberal you are angry. If you are a Trump supporter you are happy. Saying everyone is angry only applies to your own social group.

I mean people are angry nowadays, they are angry in every single country in the world.

But the way social media works, people's anger is being easily manipulated into whatever any actor wishes to.

Here in Mexico we chose a leftist leader and gave him supermajority in every aspect, the good thing is that said leftist leader is doubling down on establishing a new republic based on the values of XIX century liberalism, so we can breathe relief.

But his party is filled with communists and he could easily end up being one, so what do you do in these instances? Ortega seems determined to stay in power, Venezuela is a shithole, Evo wants to become a dictator, Europe is in political crisis.

China extends its tentacles all over Asia and Africa propping up dictators, and the more people get fucked over the angrier they are and the more vulnerable to fake news they are. People i consider educated spew such non-sense and such levels of fake news and dellusions that im afraid for the future.

/rant off

So what are your predictions for the future? liberal democracies take over an increasingly technological world, or authoritarian dystopias take over?
none of its going to matter when climate change kicks into second gear, then it will be wars for resources and land, you may as well kick back and crack open a beer

Back