Are Early weigh ins actually contributing to all the weight cutting problems?

cpirish

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I think the extended rehydration time period convinced guys to fight at weights that they can't safely achieve.

Safer for fighters who cut, but leading to the destruction of lots of cards due to weight and health issues.

I think the extended rehydration time period convinced guys to fight at weights that they can't safely achieve.

Safer for fighters who cut, but leading to the destruction of lots of cards due to weight and health issues.

i dont recall where i read it, but there was a good case made that many fighters are misjudging the amount of time they need to lose weight, and are not waking up early enough to drop those last remaining pounds.

It has nothing to do with the extended dehydration period and everything to do with the fact that the weigh ins are in the morning.

Cutting weight while you are sleeping, while possible, is damned difficult, and extremely uncomfortable.

Cutting weight first and THEN sleeping results in and extended DEhydration period, which is also damned difficult, and extremely uncomfortable.

When the weigh ins are later in the day, you can leave the last, most difficult, lbs of water weight until the morning and early afternoon of weigh in day. Shift those weigh ins to the morning and you have choices to make regarding when and how you work your weight cut around your sleeping schedule, none of them being very good options.

I feel like if the fighters were required to report to the city hosting the event and within 5-10% of their required fight day weight a few days in advance fewer slip ups, strange sicknesses and shit performances would occur.
also, the fighters purse being docked seems like a slap on the wrist. if the entire team (coaches and fighter alike) had to pay half of the promised show/win money shit would change.

I did a thread with missed weight statistics and in 2016 when it was implemented there were 20 fighters to have weight cutting issues/failures and 19 were after early weigh ins started on June 4th. BUT, in 2015 there were 18 weight issues and 13 in 2014. So it's not a complete uptick in the number of fighters missing weight but this year at this time we already have 13 fights with scrapped fights or catchweight fights so it's looking like it's gonna be the worst year for weight cuts in at least the last 10 years.

UFC should open more divisions. If a fighter fails to make weight he will be forced to fight in the higher weight class in his next fight.

I agree. I laughed when they thought this would solve anything.

All it meant to me was that some people may try even bigger cuts because, hey, I have a day and a half to recover!

UFC should ban weight cutting and have fighters pass hydration tests during fight week including a hydration test right before fighters step on the scale. Re-configure the weight classes:

130- Fly
140- BW
150- FW
160- LW
170- WW
190- MW
215- LHW
285- HW

Water cutting is harder when it's earlier in the day since it's not like they can go to bed dehydrated the night before

UFC should ban weight cutting and have fighters pass hydration tests during fight week including a hydration test right before fighters step on the scale. Re-configure the weight classes:

130- Fly
140- BW
150- FW
160- LW
170- WW
190- MW
215- LHW
285- HW
I agree with most of this. No need to change all the weight classes. They only need to change the cluster fuck from 155-185. 15 pound gaps is too much. Keep classes every 10 pounds. Add 165, move WW to 175. Add 195 and done. No need to really up the HW cap. Very few guys cut much weight to hit 265.

And move weigh ins to same day.

no the idiots who cut massive amounts of weight are to blame for weight cutting problems

People need to also remember is is a weight LIMIT. 146-155 is lightweight. People seem to think you HAVE to be 155-156 to be a light weight.

If a guy like Yoel is only cutting to 186 to barely make MW he is obviously not a MW.

I guess at this point it's a coin toss of more time to re-hydrate vs more time to cut the weight. Some fighters are arguing that they want to keep the morning weigh in to continue with more time to re-hydrate, but I think it's pretty obvious that, as others in this thread have said, trying to make that cut over night/early morning is clearly a massive problem for many fighters.

Back