Opinion Are California and New York good representations of the ideal Liberal state?

Because it's illegal federally. Lol, is that what's holding DC back? Sure they spend the most on education for the lowest literacy rates, they have the highest abortion rates, massive violent crime problem, bums everywhere, the highest income inequality, but if they could just legalize more drugs, that place would really start blossoming.
Yep...The Democrats always get votes by saying their going to reclassify and legalize or decrimalize Cannabis but never do even if they have the Presidency and the House and Senate.... I'm fairly conservative but 100 percent on board for this as well as almost the majority of conservatives....But they're just pandering.

CA and NY are bootlicker states though.

I think both places are representative of how compassion based legislation gets taken advantage of and abused rather than used.

I don't think there's any states in the US that represent what I want as a lefty. None of them even come close.

In fact I think most efforts to pander to the left are trivial bullshit that no one's actually asking for. The political equivalent of banning the black face episodes of community and always sunny in response to police brutality.

I don't think any of how op describes the left would describe any of my positions on almost anything.

I'd say the left wants:
  • Protections of human and civil rights
  • A utilitarian tax policy (which would tax each dollar in accordance with it's utility regardless of source)
  • A better healthcare and education system
  • A basic social safety net that both provides for people and plugs loopholes.
  • A colossal reduction in corporate welfare.
  • A functional foreign policy that suits the interests of the American people but values human rights outside of the United States as much as possible.
  • And I'd like it if we could all agree that dictators are bad

Last edited:
From what little experience I have with politics:

Liberals basically want extreme leniency towards criminals,
welfare for the poor, heavily taxing the rich to pay for the welfare
Heavily restrict gun ownership
Send money to poor countries around the world
Anyone who can get to the US can become a US citizen

Conservatives want long jail times for criminals
Very little welfare, and very little taxation on the rich
Very little safety net
Very little or no gun restrictions
No sending money to anyone outside the US
Extreme vetting of migrants, zero illegal immigration
This is very wrong. What liberals want, by definition, is reason-based governance, protection of civil liberties (and equal rights), and democracy. Current top priorities at the national level are protecting SS/Medicare/Medicaid, reducing deficits, and transitioning to clean, renewable energy. At the local level, can't say about everywhere, but in my area (SF Bay Area), increasing housing construction is issue where there is the most energy on.

Back