Are Beta Blockers and SSRIs banned substances by the USADA

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What is a fighter has depression or overactive adrenals?

Do they have to retire or try to switch their medications?

Are herbal supplements like St Johns Wort, Valerian Root and Passion Flower also banned?

Thanks Sherdog

I dont think so, why are you in the USADA testing pool or something?

Good question. I know many psychological drugs are banned like xanax and ritalin. SSRIs tho. I dont see why they would be banned.

Frank Mir is a genius at playing this system btw. He is on ritalin and roids during fights. lol. He was smart enough to get an exemption for ritalin. Baseball players and others have to do the same.

I think beta blockers are banned in some sports, they can make you calmer/less anxious. You should Google WADA prohibited list though

I think a fighter would be really stupid to take beta blockers

Of course they are... even vitamins are banned now you can’t even drink water

I would guess not, depression is an illness and Usada could, or should not discriminate against any illness..

Because I take both and was just curious on a late Friday afternoon

if you have a documented medical need,
if they arent enhancing your performance (beyond what would be considered normal) and
they arent used to correct a condition caused by doping

then you get a theraputic use exemption

you can check each medications status here> http://ufc.globaldro.com

but as i say, for documented medical need a tue is issued

one of the most commonly issued tue's is adhd meds

Good question. I know many psychological drugs are banned like xanax and ritalin. SSRIs tho. I dont see why they would be banned.

Frank Mir is a genius at playing this system btw. He is on ritalin and roids during fights. lol. He was smart enough to get an exemption for ritalin. Baseball players and others have to do the same.

xanax is fine, thats not prohibited.

Ritalin is only banned in comp but you can get a tue easy enough

SSRI's arent prohibited

xanax is fine, thats not prohibited.

Ritalin is only banned in comp but you can get a tue easy enough

SSRI's arent prohibited

The only reason I mentioned xanax was because of forrest. I dont know the details though. But xanax could be a PED. It is like some guys are stronger than others and some are more calm than others. I would probably need a xanax the night before I fought Anderson Silva too. I couldnt sleep. lol

I often wonder that. How can these guys sleep the night before something so big? It is like Christmas Eve.

The only reason I mentioned xanax was because of forrest. I dont know the details though. But xanax could be a PED. It is like some guys are stronger than others and some are more calm than others. I would probably need a xanax the night before I fought Anderson Silva too. I couldnt sleep. lol
yeh, xanax is fine under usada
but some comissions ban pretty much everything

Well it would be a damn shame if guys with genuine ADD/ADHD arent allowed to compete in MMA, let alone guys with depression

PCP probably isnt in the banned list. Get the dosage right on that and laugh your ass off at any incoming attacks

I’m on beta blockers, so I can’t read most posts on this site lel

<Moves>

I think beta blockers are banned in some sports, they can make you calmer/less anxious. You should Google WADA prohibited list though

Yea, I know they’re banned in archery and shooting events at the Olympics.
They just block adrenaline and prevent tremors, I don’t understand how that makes someone shoot more accurately than they would during a practice session.

Back