Are affairs/open marriages/cheating almost normal now?

Jon Stark

King in the North
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I’m a happily married father of 3 and have noticed a trend amongst my friends, conversations they have about others, people I’ve spoken with during work through my business and on holiday as well as seeing first hand and I feel there is a huge amount of couples/individuals who either habitually cheat on their spouse, have open marriages/swingers or have affairs with people (especially those in the same line of work or on holiday) am I blowing this out of proportion? Is it the same as it ever was? Wtf is going on?

Ah the ol' "I know a few people who do something so that means everyone must be doing it" thread. Always a classic

Probably easier now because of technology but infidelity will not, nor should not be considered "normal".

Last edited:
I don’t know how couples could do open marriage though. Seems like a sure path to divorce! My wife and I have been together for 31 years and I’m happy to say that I never jumped the fence.

Don't be silly. The vast majority of people would never cheat on their spouses.

tenor.gif

I think what you’re seeing is more reflective of a declining morality in society, not some sort of backdoor sexual revolution.

Last edited:
I'm buddies with a few swingers. I don't really ask many questions about it, if they want to tell me I'll sure as hell listen though. I had a good buddy ask me to bang his fiancee once, he got in a bad trucking accident and couldn't have sex anymore. He called me up and asked if I'd do it, I told him no but was nice about it (I'm married and the chick wasn't really hot).

None of us were married and midlife in the 1960's. Our frame of reference is too finite to make predictions on cheating rates. Given that sex used to be a taboo subject for scientific researchers to study we don't have data to interpret. All we have is various forms of media to try and make assumptions from and its not enough to get a real answer.

I think it used to be more accepted for married men to visit brothels, bang secretaries, etc. I think people actually respect marriage more now, despite the ease with which someone can use technology to cheat. Perhaps we just shine a brighter light on the issue and it appears bigger

Cheating has always been around. Always. Don't kid yourself with thinking that morals are "declining these days." People back then were just more sneaky about it because of the social stigma.
Open relationships seem to be a new development and I welcome it. At least you're honest about it.

Look who our president is. We are living in the bizarro era.

Cheating has always been around. Always. Don't kid yourself with thinking that morals are "declining these days." People back then were just more sneaky about it because of the social stigma.
Open relationships seem to be a new development and I welcome it. At least you're honest about it.
Good point.

None of us were married and midlife in the 1960's. Our frame of reference is too finite to make predictions on cheating rates. Given that sex used to be a taboo subject for scientific researchers to study we don't have data to interpret. All we have is various forms of media to try and make assumptions from and its not enough to get a real answer.

I think it used to be more accepted for married men to visit brothels, bang secretaries, etc. I think people actually respect marriage more now, despite the ease with which someone can use technology to cheat. Perhaps we just shine a brighter light on the issue and it appears bigger
This whole thread is conjecture but I truly believe stepping out of marriages is on the rise.

I'm buddies with a few swingers. I don't really ask many questions about it, if they want to tell me I'll sure as hell listen though. I had a good buddy ask me to bang his fiancee once, he got in a bad trucking accident and couldn't have sex anymore. He called me up and asked if I'd do it, I told him no but was nice about it (I'm married and the chick wasn't really hot).
Love how your last point is the chick wasn’t hot lol

Maybe for ppl younger? I don't hear it from 30+ yr olds.( I understand ppl do cheat in all ages)

I'm single and have an old POF account. I remember years ago a lot of older women would mention they were "taken and he's ok with no strings fun" and similar terms like that.
I imagine its worse now things are more out in the open with social media and similar dating sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back