Apple buying Sony Pictures?

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Why would it be bad for Venom and Spider-Man? Will the good guy lose at the end or something? Because I’ve gotta tell you, that’s pretty much how all those movies go down.

Sony pictures is one of their most profitable companies. I doubt they'll be in a hurry to let it go.

i think its fine Sony pictures is a disaster

Sony pictures is really mostly a US based company anyway so I doubt the Japanese government would care that much.

I'd imagine this is about Apple looking for exclusive content for a streaming service.

Five replies in, and 'disaster' and 'most profitable' have already been thrown around in regards to Sony Pictures. Which is it?

Apple need to get a handle on contebt creation. They will lose their capacity to offer streaming and VOD services otherwise, as this market is a mega shark tank.
Streaming and VOD market underpins a portion of their hardware sales and will only become more important in future.
Sony pictures is a good fit
I doubt Apple become too involved and not much will change.

ugh streaming is going to be more expensive than cable ever was in a few years.

it's amusing watching these tech companies think they can just buy their way into the entertainment business.
i hope Sony extracts a steep price for Sony Pictures from apple, and it'll be the beginning of the end of that shit company once they start burning through money attempting to poach talent and industry knowledge.

Apple has been on a slow decline since Steve Jobs died.

They are resting on their laurels and are not innovating.

Instead, they are just charging more money per phone as well as charge a premium for accessories like cables to offset the decreasing sales. But that's not sustainable and their stock price shows it.

Basically Apple is screwed.

Apple has been on a slow decline since Steve Jobs died.

They are resting on their laurels and are not innovating.

Instead, they are just charging more money per phone as well as charge a premium for accessories like cables to offset the decreasing sales. But that's not sustainable and their stock price shows it.

Basically Apple is screwed.

Even if Steve was at the helm today they were going to peak at some point and need to diversify. Not everything Steve touched turned to gold and he would have faced issues with Apple's growth at some point as well. I do think Steve would have changed some of the existing crowded Apple lineup that Cook has out there in response to the shareholders but I think for a second would have ever topped the iPhone again(and he didn't with the iPad).

Apple needs to mix in some gratuitous nudity into their original content and forget about the family friendly nonsense or they won't challenge Netflix, etc.

Even if Steve was at the helm today they were going to peak at some point and need to diversify. Not everything Steve touched turned to gold and he would have faced issues with Apple's growth at some point as well. I do think Steve would have changed some of the existing crowded Apple lineup that Cook has out there in response to the shareholders but I think for a second would have ever topped the iPhone again(and he didn't with the iPad).

Yes agreed, but Tom Cook is basically an operations pencil pusher and there is no chance Apple is going to innovate like in the Jobs days.

Tim Cook is beholden to his shareholders and replicating previous Apple stock returns, but that's not possible anymore due to a maturation of smartphone technology.

So now Apple is doing things like charging a premium for proprietary cables, charging a premium to fix broken phones/laptops, deliberately slowing down Iphones with updates so people upgrade, only putting an LCD screen on the new $700+ Iphone XR, etc. Basically trying to squeeze every bit of profit left from the people stuck in the Apple ecosystem.

Yes agreed, but Tom Cook is basically an operations pencil pusher and there is no chance Apple is going to innovate like in the Jobs days.

Tim Cook is beholden to his shareholders and replicating previous Apple stock returns, but that's not possible anymore due to a maturation of smartphone technology.

So now Apple is doing things like charging a premium for proprietary cables, charging a premium to fix broken phones/laptops, deliberately slowing down Iphones with updates so people upgrade, only putting an LCD screen on the new $700+ Iphone XR, etc. Basically trying to squeeze every bit of profit left from the people stuck in the Apple ecosystem.
I've never cared for this nonsense about Jobs being an "innovator". He never really innovated anything. He was just the guy who figured out the best timing, marketing, and implementation for a previously innovative idea that had failed to take root in the actual market.

I don't know what the hell this is, but I agree that it reeks of a CEO without ideas content and complacent to chase people who already pulled off that market innovation. in this case it's Netflix, and Amazon is on their heels. Still, tough, to believe that Buffett would park over 25% of Berkshire's stock in Apple if he didn't think they were a loaded gun.

But it will take something big. Google cut them out of the global marketplace a decade ago. It feels like the business world is finally waking up to this fact. The only rich kids who know how to use an iPhone live in the USA and Canada. Plenty of rich kids across the world they forgot about. Even more future-rich-kids they seem to have overlooked:
‘It’s Been a Rout’: Apple Stumbles in World’s Largest Untapped Market
With global smartphone sales flattening, Apple has looked to India for new growth, with little success so far

I've never cared for this nonsense about Jobs being an "innovator". He never really innovated anything. He was just the guy who figured out the best timing, marketing, and implementation for a previously innovative idea that had failed to take root in the actual market.

Well yes Jobs didn't actually invent anything. But he took previous innovations and packaged it all together into a cohesive product - one that could be produced for the mass market and completely changed the phone game. I am far from a Jobs apologist - think he's a prick - But I can't take the smartphone away from him. He negotiated the AT&T deal and convinced them to the phone as is without carrier interference.

I saw the other day Justin Lin from Fast Furious signed to make content for Apple and JJ Abrams will reunite with Jennifer Garner for some limited series.

Back