Apple Announces $350 Billion Investment in USA Thanks to Trump

Excuse me, you said repatriation was investment. That bringing it to the US would have it "flowing through the economy". If they were going to invest it wholesale, they would have brought it back and ate the tax. That's kinda the point of an investment, spend money to make money.

But hey, count the chickens before they hatch. There's no way in hell anywhere close to 100% of that money gets invested. You fell for a giveway to corporate interests.

No, I didnt.

There's no part of me that believes that a company like Apple, with a history of being as ruthless as possible and avoiding taxes in every way possible won't find a way to lessen its tax burden even more.

I accept that to be part of this equation.

I also accept that Apple committing more of their resources to hire more Americans and to build in America is an investment in the American economy.

I'm participating in reality here, you are still stuck wishing and hoping for world that never existed and will never exist.

What we have here is a situation that is still much better than Apple leaving that money overseas.

You can dislike the tax breaks all you want that's perfectly fine. But they exist regardless of how you feel about them and this is a bit of silver lining.

while good news, apple decided last year to move some of its base back to the US, it gets a special deal this year only taxed overseas assets at 15.5 %.
any google search will return results going as far back as 2012 saying apple was bringing some operations home
it has 252 billion dollars overseas.
2016 https://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/18/apple-is-exploring-moving-iphone-production-to-the-us-report.html
2012 https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welco...ww.google.ie/&referrer=https://www.google.ie/
2013 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...oduction-to-u-s-in-2013-idUSBRE8B50R120121207
theres no doubt that the tax cuts had an effect, its not certain if they were the sole reason
the first post in the thread mentions 350billion, the story also says its not clear how apple came to that figure as it has cash assets abroad of 252 billion

Trump could give these people a billion dollars directly and they would still bitch

No, I didnt.

There's no part of me that believes that a company like Apple, with a history of being as ruthless as possible and avoiding taxes in every way possible won't find a way to lessen its tax burden even more.

I accept that to be part of this equation.

I also accept that Apple committing more of their resources to hire more Americans and to build in America is an investment in the American economy.

I'm participating in reality here, you are still stuck wishing and hoping for world that never existed and will never exist.

What we have here is a situation that is still much better than Apple leaving that money overseas.

You can dislike the tax breaks all you want that's perfectly fine. But they exist regardless of how you feel about them and this is a bit of silver lining.

If the tax breaks are more than the stimulus from the breaks, it's a net loss. "Committing" money doesn't mean shit, see Carrier and AT&T for examples.

Time will tell if this is a good move or not, but Apple bringing the money back to the US means absolutely dick as far as "investing" goes. As far as i'm concerned, we're being sold wolf tickets until proven otherwise.

If history holds up, we're gonna be holding these wolf tickets for a while.

Why did you imply you were posting from Canada, then? Hmph, weird.

That would be a little weird if I was posting from Canada in a thread about U.S. economics huh? Almost like whatever I said would be meaningless haha. Good thing I'm from the U.S. ;).

Where you from again ol' Herey?

those are all solid stories man but you need a better source on those. Brietbart articles linking to other brietbart articles, this is not proper sourcing of info my man. The most credible link you have is to DOW and that is dated 2016 before trump ever took office, same with the tesla piece on yahoo. Conservative tree house is like a leftist sourcing Mother Jones article linking to other Mother Jones articles. I think there have been some positives about Trump but a portion of this post contains fluff and this is not necessary.

Please.

@bobgeese isn't putting in any work here.

He's copy pasting directly from Russian bots.

SoftBank of Japan to invest $50 billion in the United States creating 50,000 jobs Link

U.S. Steel to reinvest in the U.S. and rehire laid off workers, adding 10,000 jobs and investing $10 billion Link

TransLux to move full manufacturing from China back to U.S. Link

Foxconn to expand production into the U.S. creating 50,000 jobs and investing $7 billion Link

DOW to create state of the art innovation center in Michigan Link

IBM to invest $1 billion, hire 25,000 U.S. workers, and open 20 tech vocational schools Link

Tesla, Panasonic to make solar cells in Buffalo, New York creating 1,500 jobs and investing $5 billion Link

Sprint to bring 5,000 jobs back to the U.S.- OneWeb to create 3,000 jobs Link

Ford Cancels $1.6 billion Mexico Plant. Will Expand in Michigan adding 700 jobs and investing $700 million Link

Stanley Black and Decker to Open $35 million plant in US Link

Fiat Chrysler to Invest $1 billion and add 2,000 jobs in Michigan and Ohio Link

Toyota to invest $10 billion in the U.S. over 5 years Link

Amazon to create 100,000 jobs over next 18 months Link

GM to invest $1 billion in the U.S. and create/retain 1,000 jobs Link

Hyundai-Kia to invest $3.1 billion in the U.S. over 5 years Link
Walmart to invest $6.8 billion and create 34,000 jobs Link

Bayer to invest $8 billion in the U.S. and creat 3,000 jobs after meeting with Trump Link

Kroger plans 2017 expansion adding 10,000 jobs Link

Toyota to invest $600 million and add 400 jobs to Indiana plant. Link

Intel to invest $7 billion and create 3,000 jobs in AZ Link

Exxon Mobil to invest $20 billion and create 47,000 jobs Link

Samsung to invest $300 million and create 500 jobs Link

Home Depot to create 80,000 new jobs nationwide Link
I know that President Trump gets a lot of crap for his use of Twitter, and some of it is absolutely justified, but there is something to consider: Many of these companies are afraid of getting called out singularly by the President. I have heard as much on Bloomberg Radio from experts in the field. This is about getting good publicity and avoiding bad publicity from the President. And in that way, the President can take some credit in helping bring jobs to the US. It's kind of interesting how this is all playing out.

That would be a little weird if I was posting from Canada in a thread about U.S. economics huh? Almost like whatever I said would be meaningless haha. Good thing I'm from the U.S. ;).

Where you from again ol' Herey?

I'm from Canada, and have opinions on international events and topics. It's quite normal.

I know that President Trump gets a lot of crap for his use of Twitter, and some of it is absolutely justified, but there is something to consider: Many of these companies are afraid of getting called out singularly by the President. I have heard as much on Bloomberg Radio from experts in the field. This is about getting good publicity and avoiding bad publicity from the President. And in that way, the President can take some credit in helping bring jobs to the US. It's kind of interesting how this is all playing out.
There is a strange dynamic at play , it'll be interesting to see how it plays out long term.

It might be. There seems to be a lot of strange love for the Donald, North of the border...

<{Heymansnicker}>
There are pockets of support for Trump all over Canada. The guys in the military love him, people out west. Guys who live in big cities but hate minorities. A wide array.

New campus and jobs as far as I have read.
The new campus has me puzzled. They've been building a monstrosity of a campus for a few years now. Like I drove by it recently and I was like is this thing going to end. I can't help but feel they are referring to a campus they have been building for a while now.

One thing to note is that this was done in 2004 with a significant portion of that money going to stock buyback programs which raise stock prices without having to actually do something.

Back