Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary

Favorite Track

• Total voters

RollSonnenRoll

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score

Meant to post this last week but didn't get to it till now. Last Friday, July 21st, marked 30 years since the release of one of, if not the greatest album ever made. AFD was the best selling debut album of all time going on to top 30 million sales worldwide. It produced 5 singles and of the 12 tracks at least 9 of them can be heard on any classic rock station across the world. So heres a thread to appreciate a genre defining album and a helluva damn good band.

What's your favorite track? Any good stories of when AFD was released? Thoughts on GnR? Anybody seen them live for the reunion tour? Did you see them live in their prime?

Gunns-n-Roses-1987-e1480961193289.jpg

Welcome to the jungle and sweet child o mine

Love me both, depends on my mood when it comes to which I like better

They were kind of underground until the summer of 88. The strange thing is that I remember them playing "Sweet Child O Mine" all the time on the radio and on MTV--Yes, they played music videos back then-- that summer, but it wasn't released officially until August the 17th.

I never saw them live. I might go see them now

Instant classic now a confirmed classic. GnR is probably the last truly great, completely unapologetic rock band. Amazing how just a few years later that whole Cobain "I can't stand being a rockstar" thing took over.

My favorite track is either Sweet Child O' Mine or Rocket Queen. I went with SCOM just because it is such an iconic cut off of such an iconic album.

They were kind of underground until the summer of 88. The strange thing is that I remember them playing "Sweet Child O Mine" all the time on the radio and on MTV--Yes, they played music videos back then-- that summer, but it wasn't released officially until August the 17th.

I never saw them live. I might go see them now

They were featured in a Dirty Harry flick around then too I think (The Dead Pool). I remember that film and their music being hyped all to hell around that time.

Great album, Night train, Out to Get Me and Mr Brownstone all back to back is pretty damn good.

Definitely an all time album. The tone they managed to capture sound wise is timeless imo. Very few albums age as well as this one, especially from that era.

One of the GOAT albums.

Had it on Cassette when I was a kid.

Instant classic now a confirmed classic. GnR is probably the last truly great, completely unapologetic rock band. Amazing how just a few years later that whole Cobain "I can't stand being a rockstar" thing took over.

My favorite track is either Sweet Child O' Mine or Rocket Queen. I went with SCOM just because it is such an iconic cut off of such an iconic album.

I hate Cobain.

Rocket Queen already getting much love.

No posers up in this bitch.

Being a Les Paul player and fanboy myself I've even come around on 'Sweet Child O Mine', which I hated in my youth. That intro has pretty much been a flagship for a nice Gibson Les Paul tone and what it should be. I can't hear that song now and not immediately think of that guitar.

I'm glad it was Slash that did it too. Perfect pitch man for an LP

It is a testament to how great GnR was tho that, oddly enough, Nirvana's popularity didn't mark the end of theirs. 'Grunge' killed so many bands it was insane -but GnR was so good at what they did that it literally had zero effect on them. And that's due in large part to their music not being a gimmick. They wrote really good music -and this coming from a Nirvana fan.

Whether people like it or not, Nirvana and a lot of other so called 'grunge' bands also wrote really good music too. The 90's kind of ushered in a little resurgence of creativity and experiment that's only rivaled by the classic rock era. Especially so if you include rap music in there. That was a great mini era for music that shoe horned in a fuck load of classic groups and artists in a short period of time.

Saw them live around 86/87 with Faster Pussycat supporting them. Appetite was one of those albums that when I heard it, I knew it was a game changer. I lost all interest in them when they blew up and became a disgusting, bloated stadium band but Appetite is still a classic.

Easy choice. This was my introduction to Appetite for Destruction...

Saw them live around 86/87 with Faster Pussycat supporting them. Appetite was one of those albums that when I heard it, I knew it was a game changer. I lost all interest in them when they blew up and became a disgusting, bloated stadium band but Appetite is still a classic.

I saw Faster Pussycat in a really small club in Springfield, Virginia back in the early 2000's (Springfield is basically a suburb of Washington, DC). Taime Downe made a lame joke at the beginning of the set. He called the city "Springbrook" instead of "Springfield." Then he taunted the crowd and said something along the lines of, "I just got the name of your little city wrong. Don't you have anything to say about that?" There was dead silence. So, I yelled out, "It's called Washington, DC, you dumb fuck!" And the whole crowd erupted in laughter. He seemed a little embarrassed, and I think it impacted him a little because he didn't hang out with the crowd like he did at a show they played there several weeks earlier.

That scene from "The Wrestler".

Fun fact: the movie was done on a very low budget. Axl let them use the track for free.

I saw Faster Pussycat in a really small club in Springfield, Virginia back in the early 2000's (Springfield is basically a suburb of Washington, DC). Taime Downe made a lame joke at the beginning of the set. He called the city "Springbrook" instead of "Springfield." Then he taunted the crowd and said something along the lines of, "I just got the name of your little city wrong. Don't you have anything to say about that?" There was dead silence. So, I yelled out, "It's called Washington, DC, you dumb fuck!" And the whole crowd erupted in laughter. He seemed a little embarrassed, and I think it impacted him a little because he didn't hang out with the crowd like he did at a show they played there several weeks earlier.

They seem pretty weird. I had their first 2 albums. Lost all interest in them, probably because Mudhoney and Sonic Youth were kicking off. I googled them earlier and was pretty amazed when I saw that they're still touring.

Back