Appeals court blocks D.C. law restricting gun rights

Huked on foniks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1AA27U

U.S. appeals court on Tuesday blocked a gun regulation in Washington, D.C., that limited the right to carry a handgun in public to those with a special need for self-defense, handing a victory to gun rights advocates.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit's 2-1 ruling struck down the local government's third major attempt in 40 years to limit handgun rights, citing what it said was scant but clear guidance from the U.S. Supreme Court on the right to bear arms.

The District of Columbia may appeal the three-judge panel's ruling to the full appeals court, potentially a more favorable audience as seven of its 11 members were appointed by Democratic presidents. All three of the panel members involved in Tuesday's ruling are Republican appointees.

Judge Thomas Griffith, writing the majority opinion, said constitutional challenges to gun laws "create peculiar puzzles for the courts," noting that the U.S. Supreme Court's first in-depth review "is younger than the first iPhone."

That 2008 ruling in a landmark case called District of Columbia v. Heller struck down a D.C. law that banned all handgun possession in the city. It was a major victory for supporters of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which protects gun ownership rights.

The city council tried again to ban carrying weapons, a law that was also struck down by the courts, and now is trying a third time to restrict the right to carry handguns in the city.

Griffith wrote that the Supreme Court's Heller ruling made it clear that "the Second Amendment erects some absolute barriers that no gun law may breach."

A win for REAL Americans. At least the leftist still have their tranny bathrooms and safe spaces.

Anyone got a problem with this post is going to answer to me any my cat Mr. Snuggies.

sphynx-cats-and-kittens-3.jpg

You don't want to fuck with Mr. Snuggles.

Don't worry, that 9th court justice in Hawaii will overturn the appeals court. ;)

@Cubo de Sangre has anyone tried to fight Conceal Carry permit laws?

If not why wouldn't DC just implement the laws other cities already have on the books?

My ex gf had a cat like that. Annoying little cunt. Used to claw the fuck out of me when i was giving her teh D.

Are you saying the court read the second amendment?

Good. Found this in a linked article from USA Today listing the most dangerous cities in the USA.

15. Washington, District of Columbia
> Violent crimes per 100,000: 1,202.6
> 2015 murders: 162
> Poverty rate: 18.2%
> Unemployment rate: 6.9%

With over 8,000 violent crimes in 2015, Washington D.C. is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. Robberies are especially common in the nation’s capital, with 506 incidents per 100,000 residents, roughly five times the corresponding national rate. There were also 162 murders in the city in 2015, more than in all but nine other cities.

You should be able to carry legally without having to fit in some special category. The common folk deserve the right to defend themselves too.

I'm guessing this thread will be fun seeing how Jim Jefferies, known for making lots of jokes at the expense of religion, got an extreme increase in hate mail and threats the moment he made fun of the American gun laws. If you're more sensitive than the religious people you're something special.

damn I came in here to post this to beat me to it
I am going back to the Ninth nov 6th on my carry case so this is good new for that

I will be happy if the same happens in Ca. It's basically the same situation here. You need to have a reason to carry. I don't need a reason, it's my right.

@Cubo de Sangre has anyone tried to fight Conceal Carry permit laws?

If not why wouldn't DC just implement the laws other cities already have on the books?

Our very own @alanb. The one dude around here we know for a fact is a lawyer.

The 9th circuit recently ruled against a guy in San Diego saying there was no right to concealed carry. But Alan's case is still pending because he smartly expanded the argument that you had to allow either open or concealed carry (which San Diego and my state Hawaii don't). The word "bear" certainly has to mean something in the Amendment. Don't see how it can possibly not include carrying them on one's person. I guess the only counter-argument would be that it doesn't include the public sphere. But that would mean militias could only operate on private property and not get to and fro using any public access.

Those freedom hating Leftists will never stop. The courts kick their ass and they instantly make new laws that violate the Constitution. They care more about criminals and the homeless than law abiding tax payers.

I will be happy if the same happens in Ca. It's basically the same situation here. You need to have a reason to carry. I don't need a reason, it's my right.

If you live in a Sanctuary City you should be allowed to carry considering the government is using laws to hide criminals within city limits.

Can't wait until guns are outright illegal. The right to bear arms is such an antiquated right that has no place in a civil society.

Back