Apparently there is now an Olympic Channel: 24/7 coverage of Olympic sports and athletes

I think 20% is high. Anyway, they definitely focus on a few events in a few sports (2016 Olympics had 28 sports with a total of 306 events). In 2016, a couple of sports had less than 1 hour of TV time in the US market.

I get the feeling this will turn out like the NCAA conference channels - Pac12, SEC, B1G - they all stated their channels would feature all sports and wouldn't just be for football & basketball...didn't take long for that scheduling to fall apart & football and bball began the focus with shows about coaches, teams, airing games from the 1980s. They do show other sports but they've pushed most of them over to their websites, which surprise, surprise isn't covered cable/satellite packages. So, on the B1G channel you get one hockey game & one wrestling dual meet a week while getting to watch shows about places to eat in B1G towns every other night.

Some interesting stats there. I do get that some sports are inherently more TV-friendly than others but it does seem like the Olympics would spread their coverage around a bit more.

Here's an interesting excerpt from the article in the OP:

Bell said the priority of the programming will be live sports—look for prelims of big sports to air here and lesser-known or emerging Olympic sport championships such as cheerleading. The second emphasis will be original programming such as documentaries. The third emphasis will be archival footage.

I do hope they make a point to shine more of a spotlight in the lesser known sports that often get overlooked within standard Olympic coverage. Considering their need to fill airtime 24/7 maybe that will happen.

I did read that they've brought on Frank Marshall (producer of Raiders of The Lost Ark) to oversee a series of documentaries that are supposed to be in the vein of ESPN's 30 for 30 series. That's something I'll definitely be interested in.

Well you may not give a shit about the Olympics but millions of people around the world do tune in when the Games go down.

you-dont-say.jpg

Some interesting stats there. I do get that some sports are inherently more TV-friendly than others but it does seem like the Olympics would spread their coverage around a bit more.

Here's an interesting excerpt from the article in the OP:

Bell said the priority of the programming will be live sports—look for prelims of big sports to air here and lesser-known or emerging Olympic sport championships such as cheerleading. The second emphasis will be original programming such as documentaries. The third emphasis will be archival footage.

I do hope they make a point to shine more of a spotlight in the lesser known sports that often get overlooked within standard Olympic coverage. Considering their need to fill airtime 24/7 maybe that will happen.

I did read that they've brought on Frank Marshall (producer of Raiders of The Lost Ark) to oversee a series of documentaries that are supposed to be in the vein of ESPN's 30 for 30 series. That's something I'll definitely be interested in.
To the bold - hopefully that happens. Get some exposure for other sports. I remember for the 1996 games, Atlanta hosted world championships or world cups for several sports, promoting them for the upcoming summer games. But I don't remember them getting much, if any tv coverage, so that wasn't very effective.

Problem with several of the sporting events is that one competition can eliminate a competitor from the games - judoka, boxer, wrestler loses early & they are most likely done (wrestler & judoka only continue if the person that beat them makes it to the finals & boxing is single elimination). Competitors in swimming, track & field, gymnastics don't have to win their heat ("match") to advance, they can come in 2nd or 3rd and/or advance by hitting a specific time/distance. Additionally, athletes in those sports can participate in multiple events, so it is a lot safer for the networks to invest in promoting those athletes over others.

The Olympics is all about corruption and greed. The IOC is fucking cancer.

Speaking of Olympics, I'm excited to watch that upcoming documentary on Netflix about the major doping scandal that tainted the Russian squad.

SOunds lame

Only good thing about the olympics is when people win freakin gold medals with broken freakin necks

I just watched a women's 5K swim on this shit. Jesus. I'm not sure I can even RUN a 5K. Swimming one is just insanity.

That doesn't make the current state of affairs any better.

Sports in general are fucking dirty. I guess what I don't get is why people like to single out the Olympics.

I get wanting to clean up sports, but corruption is ultimately a sports problem, not specifically an Olympic problem.

I might be the only one, but I enjoy watching the olympics, so I'll for sure check this out if the channel's on Directv.

I might be the only one, but I enjoy watching the olympics, so I'll for sure check this out if the channel's on Directv.

Check your guide. That's what I did and found it. My understanding is that the former Universal HD channel was turned into the Olympic Channel, so if you had the former you should have the latter.

I wonder if this coincides with my Spectrum/Oceanic Time Warner Cable feed of CNN going to shit. It started with being really glitchy video and audio during the day, but normal clear late at night, then blank day and night. Several other channels also don't appear and video on demand often fails.

I'm starting to believe competent cable TV service does not exist.

Back