Apocalyptic Numbers: The Saudi-Trump War on Yemen

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by HomerThompson, Mar 26, 2018.

1. HomerThompson

HomerThompson President of the War Room Platinum Member

I simply made a factual statement. Trump is the President now, so it's his responsibility.

It's known that Trump has suckled right up to that Saudi teet. There is no comparison to Obama. Not to mention, this thread is about the conflict. My thread title is the title of the attached article.

I want to talk about the conflict, how barbaric it is, and what we can do to stop it.

Some are trying:

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/3/20/17144332/senate-yemen-saudi-arabia-sanders-lee-murphy

Tragically, they failed to get it done. Not surprising, but still nauseating.

Saudi Arabia needs a spanking. Not Iran, not even Russia in the same way. Maximum diplomatic and economic pressure should be applied by the entire world to end the war in Yemen. The U.S. has to find a way to do the right thing on this.

2. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

3. HomerThompson

Gandhi, salamander and PolishHeadlock like this.
  4. HomerThompson

5. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

On the night of the bombing, at around 2 a.m., he heard the thud of ordnance on the mountain. “We went to a corridor in my apartment that has no windows or doors, for fear of glass and shrapnel,” he told me. “We hid there. I was holding my granddaughter, and my wife was holding my daughter.”

Another blast followed. “Suddenly, the whole world turned upside down, the building was shaking beneath us, and shrapnel came to us,” Sabrah went on. It was as if some malevolent spirit had rushed through the room. “Nothing was left. My furniture, the cabinets—every wooden thing was broken.”

In the rubble outside, Sabrah saw what he described as “bits and parts” of human beings. “A woman used to live with her children in one floor of the building. They used to get up in the morning and sell boiled eggs,” Sabrah told me, his anger rising. “What danger did these children pose to the coalition? What danger did they pose by selling eggs in the street?”

When I asked Sabrah how he felt about U.S. involvement in the war, he replied, “America is the main sponsor of all that is happening to us.” He had reached this conclusion only recently. “The Gulf countries are merely tools in its hands.” ♦

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/01/22/how-the-us-is-making-the-war-in-yemen-worse

Yeah, im sure that war isnt making America any safer.

6. K1levelgrappler

K1levelgrappler Brown Belt

7. Bloodworth

Bloodworth Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Let them bang....

BigDickRick likes this.
  8. Tropodan

Tropodan Red Belt

"It would be an understatement to say that the internal power politics at play in Yemen are among the oldest, most complex and most dynamic in the Middle East."

"Reminiscent of the "Great Game" played out in Afghanistan between Great Britain and Russia more than a hundred years ago, Saudi Arabia and Iran are engaged in their own decades-long strategic rivalry for power and influence in the Middle East, stretching from the Mediterranean Sea to the Gulf and Arabian Sea. It is built mostly along sectarian and ideological lines - Saudi Arabia as the leader of the Sunni Muslim world, and Iran as the leader of the Shia Muslim world. "

"In playing their Great Game, Saudi Arabia and Iran have engaged in a series of proxy wars to undermine each other, some hot and some cold, throughout the Middle East. In Lebanon, it's the Iran-backed Hezbollah. In Syria, it's the longtime Iran-backed Assad regime. In Iraq, it's an Iran-backed Shia government which was, prior to the US invasion in 2003, solidly in the Sunni camp. "

"Iran's long-term strategic interest in Yemen is simple. Located on the southwestern tip of the Gulf peninsula, Yemen is a poorly governed, fractious country straddling Saudi Arabia's southern border, which can be likened to a sieve in terms of ancient smuggling routes still used by those wanting to covertly enter the kingdom. And with a population that is 35 percent Shia, Yemen could serve as a potentially friendly base of operations in Iran's rivalry against Saudi Arabia. For Iran, easier access to Yemen means easier access to Saudi Arabia. But is that really Iran's intent? "

"In a March 2012 article, The New York Times cited claims by unnamed US military and intelligence officials that the Quds Force, an elite arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IGRC) was smuggling significant quantities of AK-47, rocket propelled grenades, and other arms to Houthi rebels in Yemen. And in January 2013, a cache of weapons seized from a ship off the coast of Yemen was reported by CNN to have Iranian markings. It included surface-to-air missiles, C-4 explosives, and other weapons, all allegedly destined for the Houthis. "

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/o...ia-iran-great-game-ye-201492984846324440.html

9. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

You talk as if the Houthis didnt had real grievances and this was all planned and executed by Iran.

Iran has a pan-muslim regime, they dont like fighting other muslims, but they sure as hell wont sit on their hands when other muslims attack their faith.

You talk as if the Houthis uprising was all Iran's while ignoring the real grievances that these groups have.

Trotsky, salamander and HomerThompson like this.
  10. AnGrYcRoW

AnGrYcRoW I've done .... questionable things .

This bow crap was and is a silly deflection right up there with spicy mustard and a tan suit , look at the facts , Obama stood up to them and Trump is now their bitch

They were clever enough to know that with Trump flattery will get you everywhere

salamander and HomerThompson like this.
  11. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Not to mention the spending thousands at Trump's hotels.

12. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Three Tailed Pasha

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    Obama did chill our relationship with them at least. Part of the reason the Saudis are getting so aggressive is that they no longer feel they can count on the US to back them because of Obama so they want to assert themselves on their own. Its a similar deal with Israel. Trump may be sympathetic now but they're taking matters into their own hands because they can never know when the next Obama comes around to give them the cold shoulder.

To be fair though Obama did intervene in Yemen with the drone program.

13. luckyshot

luckyshot VP of the ENTIRE WR

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely...

In truth, it is the pursuit of power that corrupts, because it first screens out all candidates who would be great rulers but lack throat cutting ambition, then rewards the most effective throat cutters.

It really is like the final horcrux is hidden over the. Oh, wait. It’s just oil.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    HomerThompson likes this.
  14. BigDickRick

BigDickRick Brown Belt

Did you make a thread like this when Obama was in office?

15. HomerThompson

No, because I stopped posting in the War Room in summer of 2010, and didn't come back until the summer of '16.

But your, "But Obama!", is noted.

tonni, MiniCraque and Quipling like this.
  16. MiniCraque

MiniCraque Black Belt

Chilling stuff. The next generation of suicide bombers is being developed as we speak.

17. JamesRussler

JamesRussler You can call me Jimmy

Upon thoughtful reconsideration, I renounce my prior position and acknowledge your correctness. This is an outrage. We must do something to rectify the wrongs we have perpetrated upon the Yemenese people.

HomerThompson likes this.
  18. trolldum

trolldum Blue Belt

You are making it sound like they are some freedom fighters against intolerance and Saudi invasion. Meanwhile, their motto is: Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam! That's what is written on their flag.

19. cincymma79

cincymma79 Red Belt

pointing out they're racist as fuck is racist and islamophobic

20. Clippy

Clippy ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Am I still the prime Minister of office supplies