Anyone work in a Hedge Fund? Banking bros GTFIH.

If they are a start up they will struggle attracting funds. I know we avoid anything small or with less than 5 years of performance to measure.

Ask about how they plan on attracting investment?

Buy this book and read it
https://www.wiley.com/en-ca/Structu...c+Securitization,+2nd+Edition-p-9780470288948

If you don't understand it, you have no business working for a hedge fund.
If everything in the book makes sense to you, you should be able to answer most or all of the technical stuff that they'll ask you.
It's an easy pass/fail test.

It says it's fully updated but not when. It mentions subprime but not the GFC. Any book on CDOs needs to have been updated significantly within the last 5.

I'm sure it probably has but I can't see it saying that.

Good for you. The first step in getting help is declaring your utter ignorance.

But I dont think I am terribly wrong. If you want to tell me I am, then just please sell me on the differences. I have heard all the pitches before, and I still not convinced, but I dont mind hearing them again.

It says it's fully updated but not when. It mentions subprime but not the GFC. Any book on CDOs needs to have been updated significantly within the last 5.

I'm sure it probably has but I can't see it saying that.

IIRC it was updated at or shortly after everything imploded during the GFC.

But IMO it doesn't really matter since the author was way ahead of her time and had correctly predicted the failure well in advance along with how it would happen. She pretty much wrote the book on structured finance & CDOs. Granted, the rules in the market have changed but the fundamental ways in which CDOs and other structured products work has not, we may not use them the same way as in the past but we still need to know how they work so that we can use them properly.

Everybody sells their soul for money. It's just a matter of degrees. I would too if anybody wanted a manlet's soul.
I don't know shit about shit but goodluck to you staff sergeant

But I dont think I am terribly wrong. If you want to tell me I am, then just please sell me on the differences. I have heard all the pitches before, and I still not convinced, but I dont mind hearing them again.

Well since you think they do the same thing, what is that you think that 'same thing' is? They're all fee whores -- for sure, but other than that what do you think is it that you think they all do that is the same?

Pretty impressive getting through a couple rounds of interviews at a hedge fund without knowing what it is

The first step to getting a job at a hedge fund is to start a thread on Sherdog, so you're on the right track.

Well since you think they do the same thing, what is that you think that 'same thing' is? They're all fee whores -- for sure, but other than that what do you think is it that you think they all do that is the same?

sorry for late response,

They are investment firms. They take money they have on hand, and make investments. In other words they move money to something in exchange/hoping for a more money moved, in the future, back their way. They pay themselves fees, and salaries off of these transactions.

They are all largely made up of the same people/inner circle. The skillsets are very similar, and have much crossover. I dont think there is even any SEC regulations that prevent each of the firms from doing what the other firms do. A company like Bridgewater Assoc can probably just become an I-Bank.

I-Banks being the largest, and more encompassing of the bunch. I believe some if not all even have a "hedge fund" unit within themselves. They have been involved in many of the same things "private equities" are involved in. They all work together a bunch too.

sorry for late response,

They are investment firms. They take money they have on hand, and make investments. In other words they move money to something in exchange/hoping for a more money moved, in the future, back their way. They pay themselves fees, and salaries off of these transactions.

They are all largely made up of the same people/inner circle. The skillsets are very similar, and have much crossover. I dont think there is even any SEC regulations that prevent each of the firms from doing what the other firms do. A company like Bridgewater Assoc can probably just become an I-Bank.

I-Banks being the largest, and more encompassing of the bunch. I believe some if not all even have a "hedge fund" unit within themselves. They have been involved in many of the same things "private equities" are involved in. They all work together a bunch too.

They are all fee whores who transact other people's money (almost exclusively) -- so sure, you're at least a little correct, but they operate very differently though. A big bank may have different division that do the things you listed but they operate independently (for the most part).

You can investorpedia yourself each of the types of financial institutions that you listed but the main difference between what the funds/jobs you listed is fee structure, whom the serve, deal structure, and who regulates them.

I-bankers are typically transactional, marketing an offering for both private and public companies. They are the proverbial 'middle-man'. They get paid a small retainer and expenses, and really only get paid if deals get done.

Hedge funds accumulate pools of money that they deploy (most often) with risky high leverage short strategies. The days of combined long/short strategies are over AFAIK. TBF my contact with them is a little dated. They are less regulated than trditional funds and their fees can be exorbitant. They only deal with qualified investors.

Private Equity are just private entities that do deals in both private and public companies in various forms. They can buy out entire companies, take them public, take them private, break them up.

Three can definitely be cross over in deals but you originally posted is like going to an engineering firm and saying that electrical, civil and mechanical engineers all do basically the same thing.

So you were previously talking about crypto in a way that suggested very little knowledge of anything financial, presumably have no economics background and don't know what a hedge fund is, but you're interviewing for an analyst position at one? Ummm.... something isn't quite checking out here.

So you were previously talking about crypto in a way that suggested very little knowledge of anything financial, presumably have no economics background and don't know what a hedge fund is, but you're interviewing for an analyst position at one? Ummm.... something isn't quite checking out here.

I'm a newbie in crypto although I have experience in being tech support for a financial software company and I have enough coding experience to support traders. The CIO that previously interviewed says I will help keep a journal/database of the trades and make projections and models, that I can do. Some research and written reporting will also be required of my based on the job ad, I can do that as well. So what I need more than an economics/investment background is to be proficient in MS Excel and any type of SQL language.

They are all fee whores who transact other people's money (almost exclusively) -- so sure, you're at least a little correct, but they operate very differently though. A big bank may have different division that do the things you listed but they operate independently (for the most part).

You can investorpedia yourself each of the types of financial institutions that you listed but the main difference between what the funds/jobs you listed is fee structure, whom the serve, deal structure, and who regulates them.

I-bankers are typically transactional, marketing an offering for both private and public companies. They are the proverbial 'middle-man'. They get paid a small retainer and expenses, and really only get paid if deals get done.

Hedge funds accumulate pools of money that they deploy (most often) with risky high leverage short strategies. The days of combined long/short strategies are over AFAIK. TBF my contact with them is a little dated. They are less regulated than trditional funds and their fees can be exorbitant. They only deal with qualified investors.

Private Equity are just private entities that do deals in both private and public companies in various forms. They can buy out entire companies, take them public, take them private, break them up.

Three can definitely be cross over in deals but you originally posted is like going to an engineering firm and saying that electrical, civil and mechanical engineers all do basically the same thing.

I will still say the three kinds of High Finance firms are more similar to each other than Electical, Civil, and Mechanical engineers are to each other. In fact, I will say the way high finance firms are analogous to Civil Engineers that focus on McMansion construction, or focus on modest multi-family construction, or focus on single standing retail/office construction.

Obviously the way the find their clients will be different, and thereby the clients themselves will be different. Of course the product/service now will be different because the clients have different reasons for using them. Rules/Regulation can be different not because of what they are, but what they will be doing.

And like in High Finance, there is serious crossover in skillsets, and largely made up of same inner circle of people really. In fact, civil engineers firms also combine with an architect to form one firm and provide both services. Also, I believe there is even the mega firm of civil, architect, and construction company under one name and roof, and they can do all types of construction. Actually I believe Civil Engineers can be architects (or is it other way around). Its one or the other. Also I believe Civil Engineer can act as construction foreman/project manager at the construction site.

I will still say the three kinds of High Finance firms are more similar to each other than Electical, Civil, and Mechanical engineers are to each other. In fact, I will say the way high finance firms are analogous to Civil Engineers that focus on McMansion construction, or focus on modest multi-family construction, or focus on single standing retail/office construction.

Obviously the way the find their clients will be different, and thereby the clients themselves will be different. Of course the product/service now will be different because the clients have different reasons for using them. Rules/Regulation can be different not because of what they are, but what they will be doing.

And like in High Finance, there is serious crossover in skillsets, and largely made up of same inner circle of people really. In fact, civil engineers firms also combine with an architect to form one firm and provide both services. Also, I believe there is even the mega firm of civil, architect, and construction company under one name and roof, and they can do all types of construction. Actually I believe Civil Engineers can be architects (or is it other way around). Its one or the other. Also I believe Civil Engineer can act as construction foreman/project manager at the construction site.

Well -- I'm out.

__009facepalm.gif

The interview just ended. Here's an update. Turned out the COO and not the CEO was the one who interviewed me. He's a really nice, well spoken guy but instead of the usual interview procedure he talked about the short history of the company first. The main course of the 'interview' was picking my brain with the "9 coins and a balance scale" problem on pen and paper. I don't know if that's a standard IQ test or something he made up. I answered it correctly at the end but only after a laborius and awkward 20 minutes or so.

Afterwards it was us conversing about crypto, hedge funds and what I can offer the company. He said that even if he could match my asking salary, he won't, because he wants the new hires to really work to their limits being that 'we' will be given a percentage of the commission. After the COO's interview, the HR person did the usual send off but told me that they want to hire 5 more people but I'm the only candidate they have currently, and I can receive feedback by the end of the week.

***Is this a good indication that I will receive an offer?

And in case you're wondering, none of what happened had any sexual undertones (I hope).

Everybody sells their soul for money. It's just a matter of degrees. I would too if anybody wanted a manlet's soul.
I don't know shit about shit but goodluck to you staff sergeant
Plus, you might actually enjoy selling your soul. Never know unless you try it.

Only downside, you come away morally impoverished but financially enriched. At this point that doesn't sound like such a bad deal.

The interview just ended. Here's an update. Turned out the COO and not the CEO was the one who interviewed me. He's a really nice, well spoken guy but instead of the usual interview procedure he talked about the short history of the company first. The main course of the 'interview' was picking my brain with the "9 coins and a balance scale" problem on pen and paper. I don't know if that's a standard IQ test or something he made up. I answered it correctly at the end but only after a laborius and awkward 20 minutes or so.

Afterwards it was us conversing about crypto, hedge funds and what I can offer the company. He said that even if he could match my asking salary, he won't, because he wants the new hires to really work to their limits being that 'we' will be given a percentage of the commission. After the COO's interview, the HR person did the usual send off but told me that they want to hire 5 more people but I'm the only candidate they have currently, and I can receive feedback by the end of the week.

***Is this a good indication that I will receive an offer?

And in case you're wondering, none of what happened had any sexual undertones (I hope).

Okay here's an interesting development, I saw new ad for a trader position for the same company which would put what the COO hinted as the possible offer in the range of that ad. The ad I originally applied to is for an "analyst" position, and the expected salary I wrote is within the range of that ad. The hinted offer and my expected salary has a 27% difference.

It's possible that the COO thought I was applying for the trader position instead of an analyst position but there is not much of a difference between the two.

The salary difference may turn out to be negligible depending on how much commission we will get, still it puts me in a hard spot. I would love to work for the company if they give an offer, but it kind of dampens the excitement if it will be a lower salary than my expected.

I got 2 bitcoin TS. Should I hold to the moon??

guys this thread is for hedge fund bros only. everyone that posts on sherdog that works for a hedge fund get in here.

i barely even work so im out

Back